The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient ASP008 2/ ADAT Signal Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 25th March 2009
Here for the gear

Audient ASP008 2/ ADAT Signal

I have been using an Audient ASP008 (no digital option) to a RME FF400 and have had good results. I installed a digital ADAT card and for some reason I am not getting much signal. I can run the Analog TRS & the ADAT at the same time so I know that the ADAT connection is about half of what the Analog is.

Curious if anyone has had a problem similiar to this?

I read a thread on this site that says the Audients has most of its gain from 45db to 60db. Maybe the analog runs hot and a the digital is a better representation of what is really going on? (not much gain)

I have been in contact with RME & Audient and neither seem to know the problem. Thanks for any help!
Old 25th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsit View Post
I have been using an Audient ASP008 (no digital option) to a RME FF400 and have had good results. I installed a digital ADAT card and for some reason I am not getting much signal. I can run the Analog TRS & the ADAT at the same time so I know that the ADAT connection is about half of what the Analog is.

Curious if anyone has had a problem similiar to this?

I read a thread on this site that says the Audients has most of its gain from 45db to 60db. Maybe the analog runs hot and a the digital is a better representation of what is really going on? (not much gain)

I have been in contact with RME & Audient and neither seem to know the problem. Thanks for any help!
Hi , I have always used mine via adat so couldn't comment on the difference to the analog outs. I do however agree that a lot of the gain seems to be delivered during the upper 30% or so of the knobs travel. Are you having an issue with not being able to get enough level? I have always found that the unit has plenty gain.
Old 25th March 2009
Here for the gear

Fifthlaw,

Thanks for the reply. Hearing that yours seems to run most of the gain at the last %30 certainly applies. Now that I look closer the last bit on the gain has 40 & 60 very close while 0 & 10 are almost half the turn.

The analog(breakout/TRS) certainly runs hotter on my unit. I will also say that the digital signal is much more focused...however I am having trouble adjusting to the signal being so much weaker.

I am attaching a screen shot of a snare drum hit (SM57) w/ the gain set at 25.

Any ideas what I could missing? Or should I just get used to having the gain cranked most all the time?

Thanks!
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Audient ASP008 2/ ADAT Signal-analog-vs-digital.jpg  
Old 26th March 2009
Here for the gear

Ok, so I think I have an understanding of what is going on after communicating with Audient.

My preamps are made by Audient. And my interface is the ff400. Apparently they don't agree on where Zero is (difference of 5db). On top of that I believe I have been running the Analog connection hot. There is no control for the Digital out signal, so I am feeling a large drop off. Also Audient puts most of the gain in the last %20 of the pot. So having the knobs cranked actually puts them more in their respective range.

Not sure if this will help anyone else down the road, but I thought I would post the resolution in case someone could benefit from it.

Audient ASP008w/ADAT->ff400-> Mac Mini(1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/1 GBram/Leopard 10.5.6)-> Ableton 7
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search