The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Not a Bad Way To Spend $10,000
Old 25th March 2009
  #1
Here for the gear
 
illone's Avatar
 

Not a Bad Way To Spend $10,000

I am opening a project studio for mostly hip hop and R&B and i just wanted some input on what you experts think about this list. Ill mostly be recording vocals in this studio. If there are any other things that would need to be known for your input id be glad to provide that info. Thank You in advance.

24" Apple iMac - $1800
Logic Studio 8 - $450
Pro Tools M-Powered 8 - $250
SSL Duende Mini - $700
SSL Vocal Strip - $400
EZ Drummer - $150
KRK VXT8 - $1050
Blue Bottle Rocket Stage 1 w/ B8, B7, B6 capsules - $1890
Shure SM7B - $300
Avedis R52 - $450
Avedis MA5 - $775
API 512C - $761
6 ATS Acoustic Panels - $330

Total: $9350 (after shipping)
Old 25th March 2009
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by illone View Post
Thank You in advance.
You'll need some kind of analog comp if tracking vocals. Personally i would look around for a used original U87, but i've never used the Blue Bottle so have no idea what it sounds like.
Old 7th April 2009
  #3
Gear Head
 

KRK? Really? I would buy better monitors. But to each his own.

I've been looking at the Blue Bottle Rocket as well. I hope I can try one soon.

Oh, and check out Addictive Drums. More bang for the buck compared to EZdrummer. I have EZdrummer and it's not that flexible.
Old 8th April 2009
  #4
Gear Head
 
Unagi's Avatar
 

Do you already have an audio interface? If not, you'll obviously need something like a Profire 2626 or at least an M-Box to run protools.
Old 8th April 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illone View Post
I am opening a project studio for mostly hip hop and R&B and i just wanted some input on what you experts think about this list. Ill mostly be recording vocals in this studio. If there are any other things that would need to be known for your input id be glad to provide that info. Thank You in advance.

24" Apple iMac - $1800
Logic Studio 8 - $450
Pro Tools M-Powered 8 - $250
SSL Duende Mini - $700
SSL Vocal Strip - $400
EZ Drummer - $150
KRK VXT8 - $1050
Blue Bottle Rocket Stage 1 w/ B8, B7, B6 capsules - $1890
Shure SM7B - $300
Avedis R52 - $450
Avedis MA5 - $775
API 512C - $761
6 ATS Acoustic Panels - $330

Total: $9350 (after shipping)
Scratch

SSL Duende Mini - $700
SSL Vocal Strip - $400
EZ Drummer - $150

off your list and check out the drums and plug-ins that come with Logic8 and spend that cash on the rooms; both with decor and acoustic treatment. Build your own panel traps as you can make em look good.

If you learn what Logic can and can't do then you will be able to get more plug-ins later. Maybe Reason would be good to have around....

Do you have a lunch box for the modules already?

Peace,
cortisol
Old 8th April 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Lipps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
Scratch

SSL Duende Mini - $700
SSL Vocal Strip - $400
EZ Drummer - $150

off your list and check out the drums and plug-ins that come with Logic8 and spend that cash on the rooms; both with decor and acoustic treatment. Build your own panel traps as you can make em look good.

If you learn what Logic can and can't do then you will be able to get more plug-ins later. Maybe Reason would be good to have around....

Do you have a lunch box for the modules already?

Peace,
cortisol
Yes! put up a few more dollars and get a Mac Pro. Get a referb for like $2200.
Add a DBX 160 X/Xt as well

For monitoring I would go with either adams or dynaudio. get a sub if needed. I'd also think long and hard about investing more money into room treatment. i don't even see bass traps on the list. You said Hip hop and Rnb right? Break more bread in treatment At least $500.

I know that room treatment isn't as sexy as getting some pres but it will go alot longer towards getting a better sound than anything else.

$10K while it sounds like a lot can go fast and really is not enuff. You have to budget in cables as well.
I've spent over a G in cables EASY! And I'm low on that totum poll

just something to think about
Old 9th April 2009
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illone View Post
I am opening a project studio for mostly hip hop and R&B
Don't bring any more of that crap into the world; popular music is in a bad enough state as it is.
Old 9th April 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
macr0w's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrockyhorror View Post
Don't bring any more of that crap into the world; popular music is in a bad enough state as it is.
Old 9th April 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Colonel Blues's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post
... You have to budget in cables as well...
I've spent over a G in cables EASY! And I'm low on that totum poll

just something to think about
Just right !
20 years ago, I had my job in a company selling studio gears and installing studios with cabling included... The amount for cabling was everytime almost 10% of the total amount of gear (I was the "cable guy"...heh)...

Example ? You want to wire a 2 ch. preamp, you need 2 ins & 2 outs (xlr), 4x2 meters of nice cable, 4 TRS to plug in the patch, how much will you pay these 4 cables ???
Old 9th April 2009
  #10
Gear Addict
 
Leon EA's Avatar
 

If you want to use M-Powered you'll need an M-Audio interface, if you don't already have one. And Logic wants one as well, but M-Audio would handle that as well.
Old 9th April 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illone View Post
I am opening a project studio for mostly hip hop and R&B and i just wanted some input on what you experts think about this list. Ill mostly be recording vocals in this studio. If there are any other things that would need to be known for your input id be glad to provide that info. Thank You in advance.

24" Apple iMac - $1800
Logic Studio 8 - $450
Pro Tools M-Powered 8 - $250
SSL Duende Mini - $700
SSL Vocal Strip - $400
EZ Drummer - $150
KRK VXT8 - $1050
Blue Bottle Rocket Stage 1 w/ B8, B7, B6 capsules - $1890
Shure SM7B - $300
Avedis R52 - $450
Avedis MA5 - $775
API 512C - $761
6 ATS Acoustic Panels - $330

Total: $9350 (after shipping)
That's a good start...get working and after a few months of tracking continuously you'll know what you need and don't need...don't think too much about gear...start thinking about the work your gonna do and get doin' it.

nick
Old 10th April 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Chevron's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
You'll need some kind of analog comp if tracking vocals. Personally i would look around for a used original U87, but i've never used the Blue Bottle so have no idea what it sounds like.
Not true - good luck to the OP
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Sean Sullivan / So Much Gear, So Little Time
42
putney41 / Low End Theory
25
johnashmore / Mastering Forum
5
vibralux / So Much Gear, So Little Time
22
Dopamine / So Much Gear, So Little Time
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump