The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tricks for Getting Wide AND Present Synths?
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Nut

Tricks for Getting Wide AND Present Synths?

Say you are working on a track with a lead synth sound. It's the featured instrument, playing the hook of the song. You want it to be big and wide and very present in the mix, like double-tracked guitars panned hard left-right. What are some ways of achieving this without completely relying on stereo send effects or
the stereo-ized "wet" settings on the synth itself? It seems like everything that widens it ends up pushing it further back as well. I'm basically trying to get big synth lines and still leave some room in the middle for vocals.

Thanks!
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

2 words for you: MOVE AIR - Plug that synth into an amp (or pair of amps) then start playing with mic selection & position. An M/S pair is quite often the ticket - though I've gotten some really stellar sounds with a single mic, too. Note that if you don't have a nice sounding room (large, by preference), you may not get a lot of improvement.

My 2¢ + sales tax,
Scott
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Double / Triple / Quadrouple

Another thing you might try is to double your synth line with multiple different sounds and pan them all across the speakers.

When chosing the sounds don´t listen to them solely, but listen to the whole thing. That way you can decide wether a sound helps the project or doesn´t.

Sometimes even sounds that you think would sound strange in that context may help - like piano or saxophone sounds. Don´t be misled by soundcategories, focus at the aim of the game : the wall of sound !

And play with fx like reverberated delays and stuff. That may help, too.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyLA
You want it to be big and wide and very present in the mix, like double-tracked guitars panned hard left-right.

you said it yourself, and billster called it: track the part on more than one synth, and pan them around. it works with guitars, so.....

using different but compatible sounds is key. using a different synth producing a similar sound works really well. using one analog beast and a va is cool.

the only chorus i want to hear is the natural drift of analog vco's!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k

the only chorus i want to hear is the natural drift of analog vco's!
True, because Chorus steals a lot of energy and power ! Same problem with chorusy basses - they sound good if there´s no other instrument around, but in a mix...
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

M-S processing, add dirt/saturation/noise/ringmod/comp/eq or whatever
to the mid signal.

2 cents

ruudman
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

can you flip the phase on one side of the synth?
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Have you tried making it mono with a delay or verb and lotsa highs? Bass also helps.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I usually stack synth sounds, whether they are leads or pads, adjusting the levels and eqs of each to bring out certain characters of each individual patch.

This might be obvious to many, but I'll bring it up anyway: With a lead synth line I always have someone, or myself, play it live instead of relying on MIDI quantization.

Good luck!

-KD03
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

...for a more subtile widening: dip 1-2db around 1kHz, boost 1-2 db betwin 2-4kHz.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Play the synth part in real time to an audio track and then actually double or even triple track it with a new performance. If your synth has some type of 'random pitch' mode, then use this feature. (Unless you are using a classic analog synth where the pitch will drift) this will make it even bigger sounding.

Avoid the midi sequencer and quantize features. If your keyboard chops arent up to it then play it in real time into your midi sequencer but record it at half speed. This may help you be more accurate but keep the human feel. And again dont quantize. Do this again for your double and triple. Just like double track guitars.

Shane
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Buy an Andromeda or Omega 8 heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search