The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
euphonix cs2000
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Guru

euphonix cs2000

Just wanted to see what the opinions are of this board out there. An engineer at the studio i work at just bought one so I'll definitely be doing some work on it and learning it after its installed.

Any other Euphonix users out there? Or anyone who has experience with the board?

I'm really just looking for a consensus of what people think about it in terms of sound, user friendliness, etc.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

make sure u get manual with it.And print it twice you'll need it .I think theres one on euphonix site for download ,cs3000 manual will work for cs2000 too.It is really important to understand its signal flow ,and best way is to find someone expirienced with it and beg him to explain how damn thing works .I waisted a lot of time cause i was too lazy to read damn manual but at the end it clicked .Huh there's lots of hidden tricks there.Lets say you got 6 possible inputs coming to each channel M1,M2 're "mic" ins and L1-4 are line ins.So you need to select channel ,assign some input to fader (via M1,M2,L1...buttons on central section ),then assign that fader to one of stereo busses (again via ST1 or ST2 buttons on central section) ,and you monitor all parameters for selected channel on that tiny small screen below transport controls .If you dont do that theres no sound coming in .Basically you do everything on central section .If you want to use eq on channel you need to assign it on input again ,just like you did when you selected channel and assigned fader -select EQ then ...damn its too much to type here.
You'll get nervous...very nervous befeore you figure out wtf you can't hear smth,but these snapshots are godsend .You can save everything and recall everything and use one basic snapshot for every new session .
Well best thing about it is recall ,so you can work on more songs .
Give it time and ask here if you cant figure smth out

good luck ...and yeah try search button here there were some discussions about it,but hearing is beleiving
Old 19th July 2005
Here for the gear

I used to work at a studio that had one. I always liked it - it sounds great, is very flexible & is a godsend in a mix situation - you want to compare what your current mix sounds like vs the one half an hr ago - 1 click of a button and there you are. You do have to get used to the ergonomics of the console & it does force you to think about the way you work (at least initially) but once it clicks it is a cool console (just don't expect to get that "analogue sound" from it - what you put in you get out!)

Justin.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Guru

thanks for your replies

Yes, i got a manual, and I've been looking through it, but it doesn't do much for me until i have the console here in front of me with it. It definitely looks like a cool console, with a lot of cool features and whatnot. And the guy that bought it has some experience with these, so hopefully i'll be able to squeeze some info out of him. Again, anyone else who has any experience with Euphonix boards, let me have your opinions...sound quality, ease of operations, etc.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

This board sounds good, has great recall capabilities, but takes a while to get the hang of. The board is very versitile, and in some respects that it is annoying. You definately need to take a good few hours to go threw and get the hang of everything. I did not find this board to be good during tracking sessions. The versitility became a pain in the ass, and the the damn thing freezes if you have any power problems.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Had one for a few years. Great board.
It was a 56 channel console.
Top 24 were for keyboards, drum machine etc.
Bottom 24 were tape returns.
Remaining 8 were dedicated aux returns.

It will take more than a few hours to know this puppy but once you do it's very cool.
Back in the mid 90's I produced a lot of RnB vocal groups. The snapshot features were a life saver for retaining each vocalists eq and compression. Of course it was the boards eq and compression. Not sure if it would be my go-to board for rock. The eq seemed rather smooth if I recall.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster
, and the the damn thing freezes if you have any power problems.
yes ,board wants 230 volts +/- 3 volts tolerance i think ,power conditioning is must there's so you need to get a device which fixes voltage variations ,damn i forgot what it's called like but any el. engineer will know what is it .And yea try to not patch output on output on patch bay ,cause it can fry smth ????Atleast thats what technician who installed it says ...And tower needs to go out of control room it's too noisey and hot .
Old 20th July 2005
It's a noisy beast. Even the control room outputs hiss with the knob turned down. It also sounds brick hard. Great for post work but for record production....

You have been warned.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 16th October 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
It's a noisy beast. Even the control room outputs hiss with the knob turned down. It also sounds brick hard. Great for post work but for record production....

You have been warned.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Is it really that noisy?
Old 2nd November 2014
Lives for gear

I have a 104 fader CS2000.

Not noisy at all.

"Brick hard"? Utter BS.

Stefan.
Old 2nd November 2014
Lives for gear

Jim Williams post is the only post you will ever find about a CS console being noisy. (I'm fairly positive he never owned one)

In reality it is actually one of the most quiet consoles ever made. its a GREAT sounding console with incredible fidelity and power behind its sonics.
Old 2nd November 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah I agree, I worked on a couple CS2000/CS3000s in the mid to late 90s, and they are a very quiet console, and clean sounding too. The automation was always excellent.

What is nice is you can get color from other outboard so very easily if you want to.

I had a chance to buy one recently, but passed it up, to buy my Neotek. The Neotek was really more of what I was after at this time.

I had a CS2000 and an Otari concept Elite on the radar as well, and would have been happy with either of them as well, but for me the Neotek won this round.

Jim
Old 9th November 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
Yeah I agree, I worked on a couple CS2000/CS3000s in the mid to late 90s, and they are a very quiet console, and clean sounding too. The automation was always excellent.

What is nice is you can get color from other outboard so very easily if you want to.

I had a chance to buy one recently, but passed it up, to buy my Neotek. The Neotek was really more of what I was after at this time.

I had a CS2000 and an Otari concept Elite on the radar as well, and would have been happy with either of them as well, but for me the Neotek won this round.

Jim

That is great to know that the CS series are very quiet consoles and clean sounding. I am currently in the process of installing a CSII, which I bought about 4 months ago. It is basically a CS2000 but in a smaller frame. I can't wait to get it up and running. I am just waiting for my tech to stop by and check I have connected everything correctly. My main concern is the power supply in the tower. I don't want to switch everything on just to spoil his hard work.
Old 25th November 2014
Lives for gear
Over the past week I have been reading the manual, working through the exercises, and trying to get my head around the Euphonix. Thanks to the help from dtess I had an "Ah ha" moment and the set-up and routing to the FX just clicked for me and everything fell into place. I am astounded at the sound quality of the desk. It is very quiet. I have the headphones on full and it is dead silent. Then when you play a keyboard connected to it there is a glorious sound. The panning is like nothing I have heard before. My Roland D-50 sounds so wonderful and rich sounding. The placement is so natural. When I was panning mono tracks in ProTools they never really sat well. Mono channels have a natural smoothness in the Euphonix. There are so many panning and stereo options. This is a truly fabulous desk.

The Euphonix patch system is amazing. Whoever designed the system must have been a genius.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search