The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Manley Voxbox vs Pedulum Quartet
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Manley Voxbox vs Pedulum Quartet

Hey all gearslutz!!! It's been awhile. Now, I know how annoyed some people get with questions like this but here goes anyway.

I need two (2) channels of goodies to track my midi rig through. Currently I'm going direct through 2 Avalon U5 DI's. No complaints because it does it's job well but I still don't have anything to process patches with, outside the box. Eq, compression, ect. Now, the mic pre is not super important for this task. Vocals I can tackle abit later with possibly, different unit(s).

These two units mentioned seem to have all the features that I want to get my slutty hands on without filling up an entire rack (and putting myself in bankruptcy) in the process.

My main focus is on Hip-Hop. However, I do alot of direct bass and acoustic gtr on these tracks, if that makes a difference in the decision. I use some samples but mostly created patches and tons of layered sampled drums, throught the MPC4000.

Does anyone have some experience with these units on Hip-hop that you would like to share? Do you think 2 of either is a wise choice for this style of music or are there "better" tested units, in the same price range, that I should be looking at?

Clean I can get through the Avalon's. I'd like the flexiblity to go from one extreme to the other at any given moment.

Thanks for any help!
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Guru

I've got a VoxBox. The EQ is limited but very cool. It's a low boost, a Mid dip, and a high boost, with switchable frequencies. I believe the Pendulum might be more flexible. The compressor on the VB is slow , but sometimes very nice. I really like the limiter that is attached to the de-esser. That means it set on a de-ess frequency or the limiter, but not both. I really like the mic pre, its thick and full. Hip-Hop vocals sound great through it. The DI sounds great for bass. Anytime I play bass on a project while I'm engineering (not that often...I'm a percussionist) I plug right into the VB, use a little of the opto-compressor (maybe the EQ) and off I go.
Old 18th July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

We've had just about one of everything here at some point. The Q2 is the best thing I have ever used in my life. It is a God. I wish everyone could have one. I would definitely sell blood for it.... I think I am pretty clear on where I stand!
Old 18th July 2005 | Show parent
GMR
Lives for gear

I had a Voxbox for a few years and just sold it, I don't regret it. The eq was good, comp was ok for light compression while tracking (3-6 db not more) was always fighting with the pre to get the sound I heard in my head. There's a mid (700hz to 1,5khz) quality thing in it that used to drive crazy on my voice. I recently got a Sca N72 and like it a lot more. I'm closer to what I wanna hear. Next step is a 1073!
Old 19th July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Thanks for the input thus far. I saw a thread on this exact topic when searching but none was relevant to Hip-Hop & R&B. I also probably should have been a little more specific. I was talking about the Pendulum Quartet I not the mercenary edition.

Keep the thoughts going. For what it's worth, I'm heavily leaning toward the Pendulum line as other feedback from others I deal with locally seems to suggest that the Voxbox is more of a "Rock" tool. Anybody ever heard the Voxbox hit with this label?
Old 19th July 2005 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface
other feedback from others I deal with locally seems to suggest that the Voxbox is more of a "Rock" tool.

I would say more of a jazz tool circa 1961

(so in other words if you aren't doing mid 20th century jazz, you can't use it)...

📝 Reply