The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gefell UM70, Slipperman, anyone else...
Old 12th April 2003
Lives for gear

Gefell UM70, Slipperman, anyone else...

Anyone have/had one? Opinions, favorite uses, etc?
Particularly what it does to vocals, dirty guitar cabs, and overheads.
Does it have any character to it?
Just wondering, as I have one on the way that I am giving up a TLM-103 for. Mistake?
Peace!
Old 12th April 2003
Lives for gear

I've had a UM70 for some time and I really like it. My biggest criticism is that it overloads easily. Absolutely love it on soft breathy vocals and ac gtr. I've used it as a room mic on gtr amps and drum OHs and it did really well. I don't have any experience with the TLM 103 so I can't make a comparison.

HTH.
Old 12th April 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks! Thats the kind of stuff i hope to hear (if its true, that is)
Anyone else?
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

these are GREAT mics and are very unknown in comparison to the regular suspects. The UM70's and most of the MG range of mics are equipped with a version of the venerable M7 capsule. These are made in the strictest of tolerances in relation ot how they used to be made when Neumann were in the eastern half of Germany before the wall etc...

I have found them VERY nice for accousitcs and OH's, snare as well.

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

I used one live on a female (airy) vox. I understand that it wasn't the same as hearing in the studio, but at least using it live it seemed to of had a LOT of presence, but still had depth. For the money, VERY impressive. It was run through a vt737 then through a souncraft mh4 console.
I think my next mic purchase for voxes is going to be the um92.1
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

Hmmm... one says great on overheads, the other says it sucks on drums... funny how subjective it all is.
The common denominator, and the most important.... everyone seems to regard them highly.
I do hope I like what it gets me on a dirty guitar cab, though.
And, that I like it better than the TLM-103 that I lost for it. IT would suck if I dont like it as much. Shot in the dark, but hey...
Thanks for the replies.
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

I wouldn't think of using it on a kick or snare but for an OH it's works well. Although I've never tried it right up on a guitar cab, I don't think it'd be it's strongest suit, as a room mic though, it's fine. I'd probably put a 57, 421 or ribbon up close in addition.
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

I regularly use the cadioid version (71) on gtr amps. Sounds kind of like a 57 on steroids. Bigger, extended hi/lo frequency response, but similar in tone. You do have to be careful about SPLs, however. Of course, YMMV!
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

I should have it by thursday, and I have two more Gefells coming this week, now, too. This is cool.
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

I own a bunch of them and love them. I have the older neumann/Gefell 691 bodies with mine. I would be curious if they sounded the same as the current bodies. They really need a good pre to sound exciting but I use them on every drum overhead Ive done for a 6 months now. A sudio i work in uses them on piano and wont even put anything else in it. Done some decent vocals but not right for everyone. Done some great electric guitar as well. Last night I used one for a very real sounding harmonica take.

I have built a very nice shock mount using an ebay $30 shock mount for an sm81 and some rubber type of door crack insulation to make it a smaller diameter inside.

Frost
Old 16th April 2003
Gear Maniac

I absolutely love this microphone for classical guitar. It is very good on western guitars too, especially at a moderate distance like 2-5 feet from the instrument.

As ambience micropone it also shines with a buttery smooth natural sound.

As for shockmount, I've been using Audio Technica's sm (same as Royer sells re-badged) and it works just fine.

/Mats
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

I have an older one (UM70s) and I wouldn't call it extremely versatile. Mine has very noticeably hyped high mids (more so than my TLM103, for instance). This makes it good for sources that can use a healthy dose of added sparkle, like a dark sounding acoustic guitar. I find one thing it really shines on is acoustic bass. Its small footprint is convenient too.

I might try it on a really dull male vocal, but not much else (in terms of vox). Too hyped in the upper mids to be "pretty".

I have a UMT 800 (gefell) (I think that's the model, I'm not in the studio at the moment) that looks super cool - likea giant steel egg. But it still has those hyped upper mids.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear