The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Users!! which preamp do you prefer for vocals? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Chandler Users!! which preamp do you prefer for vocals?

I am looking for a great mic pre that have a nice color and mojo for Vocals..I do more Pop Rock and Rock.

I am between the LTD-1 and TG2 , what do you prefer??

Consider I have a Shadow Hills with Iron option.
Old 23rd March 2009
When I was a Chandler user a few years ago, I owned both of those and there was no question that the LTD-1 was the better way to go for vocals, acoustic guitar, etc.

Now I'm using the BAE 1073 modules and after doing the A/B between the 1073 and the LTD-1 there was no question in my, or anyone else sitting in on the comparison, that the 1073 blew the LTD-1 out of the water. So, I sold my LTD-1's and stuck with the 1073s.

I did hang on to the TG2 for some electric guitars (most go through the 1073s these days) and bass DI. I can honestly say I'm very happy with my decision.
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

I like the LTD-1 more for vocals too.
Old 24th March 2009
I heard the TG2 and like it!
Old 24th March 2009
Gear Nut

I've said it before around here but the TG2 is a classic 2 channel pre. It's special, I'm not saying it has a better sound than the LTD or a 1073.... but it's super cool. I think of it as a tough pre with a dirty vibe. I use it on vocals and just about anything in rock music.
Old 24th March 2009
Lives for gear

I love the TG-2 on vocals and use it all the time. It never lets me down on any source from folk to rock and inbetween.

XJ
Old 24th March 2009
Lives for gear

+1 TG2 for vox

probably the best value for money piece of audio gear I have ever bought.
Old 24th March 2009
Gear Addict

I have a TG-2 and the Aurora GTQ2 Mark III. Would the Aurora be a close enough comparison to a 1073/1081 for purposes of this discussion?

For those who use the TG-2 today for vocals, what situation might cause you to use the Aurora instead? Certian mic's or just the vocalist alone?
Old 24th March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore98 View Post
I have a TG-2 and the Aurora GTQ2 Mark III. Would the Aurora be a close enough comparison to a 1073/1081 for purposes of this discussion?

For those who use the TG-2 today for vocals, what situation might cause you to use the Aurora instead? Certian mic's or just the vocalist alone?
Actually you having both, would be interesting to let us know which one do you prefer for vocal duties and also in general, what are the strenghts of each mic pres...how different they are ...etc!
Old 25th March 2009
Gear Head

+1,000 spell the beans!
i am getting an api 3124 and an aurora gtqc and have a chandler germanium and 2 prism orpheuses(8 channels of pre) and manley mono pre - i have a serious itch for the tg2 to complete the roundup- especially loved it on elec guitar when i heard it some years ago- how does it compare to the Aurora gtq on elec guitars? and vocals?

considering selling the manley mono to be able to afford the tg2...

would love to know!
Old 25th March 2009
Lives for gear

I just an old TG Channel (MKI) & it's been a revelation on vocals! I like it better than my Wunder PEQ for vocals (yet the Wunder still kills on guitars, drums, bass!). I'd also like to try the TG2 (non EQ version of what I have) & a BAE 1073 ($3,000!!!!), but for now Chandler does kick some major ass!
Old 25th March 2009
Gear Addict

Depends of Voice and mics but all chandlers pres working great on vox...
maybe the TG2 for rock vocals and the LTD-1 for other!
Old 6th April 2009
Lives for gear

i have the germanium and the TG channels to choose from and I would choose either.

I would say i like to have a bit of both flavours on most sources. I know wade has said he's been pleasantly surprised how the different pre's compliment each other, and that their was some thought to that in the design.

What i mean by that is if a germ pre is used in tracking a vocal its a nice compliment to mix line through a TG pre or vice versa. I have also found this to be a great sound and tend to do my traking through one and outboard processing at mix time through the other.

What i would love is for wade to make some tg based and germ based line amps that are more cost effective than pre's to fit into his future console. With 4 germs and 4 tg ch's i'm in tone heaven but I'd love to be able to mix to say 12-16 channels, with a few line channels in there and have them all mounted in his console.

Of course you could also do this with some of the eq and comp options chandler has and throw some of that sound into the mix for some line level processing and maybe i'll end up doing that down the road.

Russell

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search