The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone tried Sontronics mics?
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Addict

Anyone tried Sontronics mics?

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has tried any mics in the Sontronics range. I'm trying to find out more about the STC-1.

THANKS!

Shaun
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Nut

Hi there.

I got this from my colleague in Denmark yesterday.

One of my friends just tried 2 pcs. Sontronics STC-1 (the STC-1s was somewhere else) as stereo (cross-) miking on the brass section of a full bigband (a very good and professional bigband). He is also closemiking every single instrument but he likes very much to have a total stereo, and uses that more than the closemic's whenever it is possible. Anyway he has tried all kinds of different mic's for this purpose and he said the sound from the STC-1's is fantastic!

They are especially good in the low end so the trombones are sounding better than ever but in general the sound is fantastic. Furthermore he really like all the different things you can use the mic's for since there's the pad and the low cut. He also thought that it didn't matter so much that they weren't a matched stereo set since they were pretty much the same anyway.

I haven't had time to take the STC1 for a spin yet, but after reading this it feels like a have to make time to give them a go. I have used Omega and Orpheus, they are both fantastic mics.
Old 9th December 2005
Lives for gear

anyone else try these mics?
Old 12th December 2005
Gear Nut

I've tried them - thought they were.. ok. Nothing special. In other words, I didn't really like them. I had 2 weeks to play with them and did a little testing for myself. The different models are quite different sounding and seem to be trying to cover as many sonic bases as possible with just a few models.

I found :

STC-1 - bright and a bit sibilant on voices with ok detail. It was the model I liked best of the ones I tried. Very competent mic but a bit sizzly with on-axis vocals.

Helios - Very similar sounding to the STC-1 but costs quite a bit more.

Omega - Bland as anything.

Orpheus - Had this dark tubby muddy mid thing going. Sounded to me like their take on a U47 after it had been through a washing machine stuffed with greasy overalls.

( I could be confusing the Orpheus with the Helios - I cant' remember now which was the tubby one )

To be fair, I didn't play with them for very long and while they were built very well and finshed quite nicely, although competent, they were just not my thing. My preference is for bright-ish mics with exceptional clarity and detail. I just thought they sounded like they belonged with the "rest of the pack" ( except for the tubby dark one which was woeful ). I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with my opinions and I can see them being useful for things other than classical type vocals though.
Old 12th October 2008
Lives for gear

I'v heard some tunes recorded with Sigma (Blumlein and spot) and they sound very nice and natural.

/Peter
Old 12th October 2008
Vum
Lives for gear

The Sigma is fantastic. A little dark to be overheads but great for room, amazing on vocals. Sounds cooool.
Old 12th October 2008
Gear Maniac

A thumbs up from me for the Sigma too, it's my one and only ribbon mic so have nothing to compare it to in that way, but everything I record with it sounds nice and smooth. Loving it on amps, cello, hand percussion, and drum room mic. Haven't used it for vocals yet as it hasn't seemed appropriate.

Plus, it has a 'wow' factor to it. I appreciate that function is the priority but there's nothing wrong with something that's aesthetically pleasing too. But YMMV heh
Old 12th October 2008
Lives for gear

I tried the sigma for a week mostly on a guitar cab, wasn't overly impressed. Then I tried the royer r121, the difference was huge. Granted there is a hefty price difference but the royer just sounded so natual on everything. The sigma went back, kept the royer and my credit card took yet another hit!heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search