The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
favorite drum mic preamps?
Old 3rd August 2008
Lives for gear

For me, it's Quad Eight MM61 modules. Although since phantom is ALWAYS ON on the Q8 sidecar here I'll usually go with something else on OH, because I LOVE the Royer SF-12 ribbon for OH. Lately I've been swapping between the Hamptone JFET and TUBE preamps and the Sytek MPX-4A. If I need a little EQ on the OH, I'll use the Langevin DVC which has simple but very useful LF and HF shelving EQ's built in.

We've got a 6176 here as well that usually gets the TB/Shef/Crap mic, smashed to hell with the built in 1176 style comp. Which, 7 times out of 10 is what really brings the drums to life.

If I ever had to "start over", the first thing I'd probably do is try out a rack of (10) A-Designs P-1 preamps. I'm a big believer in using the same preamp for most (not all) things on a record.
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

For good reason . . .

Vintage tube pre's are the only thing I'll use on drums ..and on everything else.
'

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search