The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
favorite drum mic preamps?
Old 31st July 2008
  #31
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfjis View Post
API 512's on kick and snare are suh-weet.
+2heh Nothing delivers harmonics like API.
For some reason i don't think he will buy a couple 610s !!!
Old 31st July 2008
  #32
Gear Head
 

I just snagged a Wunder PA4 and I'm really liking the results

Kick, Snare, Rack Tom, Floor Tom
Old 2nd August 2008
  #33
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
The pres I prefer aren't in the stated price range.

The first time I heard API on drums I was blown away. When I actaully tried to use them to record drum I was very disappointed and ended up selling them. I found they clipped even when set to the lowest input and that the tone I loved disappeared when I put the pad in. So I sold them and no longer use API pres at all.

u could've just bought some attenuators
Old 2nd August 2008
  #34
Gear Maniac
 
msmith's Avatar
 

Theres a reason why people call API and Neve "classics"...
Old 2nd August 2008
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skai_Penalva View Post
u could've just bought some attenuators
You mean pads? They're built in. I don't like the sound of API with pads, especailly when I have tons of other stuff that I think sounds better.
Old 2nd August 2008
  #36
Gear Addict
 
erock's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiandishinger View Post
what are your favorite preamp choices for kick/snare and ovhds? i have UA2108 that sounds good on kick/snare but would like to find something better for ovhds and possibly distorted gtrs. looking for 2 chnl under $1500 US. i was looking at API 512C or UA 2-610.
Go for the API. Or look into the Dakings, though I haven't heard those. I have the 2-610 and the only thing I've found it to be good for on drums is a room mic. A lot of people prefer a clean preamp for rooms, but I like a nice dirty drum sound.

The bottom end is a little too loose for my taste for drums on the UA.

I think solid state is the way to go for drums...mostly.
Old 2nd August 2008
  #37
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
You mean pads? They're built in. I don't like the sound of API with pads, especailly when I have tons of other stuff that I think sounds better.
He means to attenuate the signal after it leaves the pre and before it hits the AD, without using the pad on the API, like with an ATTY:
A Designs Audio - Atty Passive Stereo Level Control
That way you keep the API tone you've always heard and liked.
Old 2nd August 2008
  #38
Gear Addict
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 

Mic pre amps vary a lot with me.
These days it's:

BD Chandler TG2
SNR Chandler LTD1
Toms SSL desk pre
Amb SSL desk pre
HH same as abpve
OH GR MP2NV/Hardy M1
attitude channel altec 1589a
Old 2nd August 2008
  #39
Avedis MA5 on kick

A Designs Blue on snare

Pacifica for overheads
Old 2nd August 2008
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Mike Tholen's Avatar
 

Helios and Telefunken V76s' or V72s' work rather well for me.
Old 2nd August 2008
  #41
Lives for gear
 
druhms's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
You mean pads? They're built in. I don't like the sound of API with pads, especailly when I have tons of other stuff that I think sounds better.
I'm sure you have things that you like better, but have you tried padding before the pre, not on the pre, but an inline pad ie: Shure? You have to use them.
Druhms
Old 2nd August 2008
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Meriphew's Avatar
 

API and Daking are all around great bang for the buck pres.
Old 2nd August 2008
  #43
we have two sebatron vmp4000e that we use for our drums. with the -25db pad they can pretty much handle anything we throw at them.

the passive EQ is pretty sweet too on overheads. thumbsup
Old 2nd August 2008
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Svens's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiandishinger View Post
what are your favorite preamp choices for kick/snare and ovhds? i have UA2108 that sounds good on kick/snare but would like to find something better for ovhds and possibly distorted gtrs. looking for 2 chnl under $1500 US. i was looking at API 512C or UA 2-610.
It all depends on the drummer, his drumkit, the mics you use and how you place them.

I just did a rock/industrial record with Millennia preamps. Yes, Millennia. Gets a lot of **** here, but again, imo its all about how your kit sounds, how the drummer plays it and how your mics are placed. If you covered that, you can use your preamp for color or how you want to call it.

All the "highend" brands are good really. Try to record kick and drum with several different preamps, then level those tracks equal so that you dont hear any difference in level and then compare the difference in tone/color/sound etc, and you'll notice that there is a difference between all of them, but never as big as most of the GS people want you to believe. In the end, its all about your own taste....
Old 2nd August 2008
  #45
Lives for gear
 
redrue's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
...attenuate the signal after it leaves the pre and before it hits the AD, without using the pad on the API, like with an ATTY:
... That way you keep the API tone you've always heard and liked.

That's the way I did it. 3124 with two ATTYs; works like a charm.
Old 2nd August 2008
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
He means to attenuate the signal after it leaves the pre and before it hits the AD, without using the pad on the API, like with an ATTY:
A Designs Audio - Atty Passive Stereo Level Control
That way you keep the API tone you've always heard and liked.
But my clipping was at the pre, not after.
Old 2nd August 2008
  #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by druhms View Post
I'm sure you have things that you like better, but have you tried padding before the pre, not on the pre, but an inline pad ie: Shure? You have to use them.
Druhms
I don't recall at this point.

Someone loaned me a 3124 and I flipped when I heard it. I immediately bought one and slowly used it less and less. I narrowed it down to a Beyer M160 and the API on guitar and that was my guitar sound for a long time. I don't think I ever used it again after the day I got a TG-2 pre.
Old 2nd August 2008
  #48
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
But my clipping was at the pre, not after.
Oh, OK, sorry...I guess the ATTY (or inline pads - AT makes good ones, too)before the pre, then, or use other mics whose output is not so hot.

What mics did you use that presented the pre with too much signal?

I've never had the API 3124 clip when set to 0. I try to get it well into the yellow just before clipping (kinda crunchy). Then it really is too hot for the AD, thus the ATTY.

You make a good point, though - it'd be cool for the 3124 to have input attenuation like the GR MP2NV.
Old 2nd August 2008
  #49
Gear Nut
 

Great River mp2nv sounds healthily gigantic.
Old 2nd August 2008
  #50
Lives for gear
 
yumdrum's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibird View Post
He means to attenuate the signal after it leaves the pre and before it hits the AD, without using the pad on the API, like with an ATTY:
A Designs Audio - Atty Passive Stereo Level Control
That way you keep the API tone you've always heard and liked.
Does the Avedis Line Z-Pad do the same thing as the ATTY?
Old 2nd August 2008
  #51
Lives for gear
 
taturana's Avatar
when i saw the subject of the thread guess what i thought....











api....









no secret, right?
Old 3rd August 2008
  #52
Lives for gear
 
strewnshank's Avatar
 

Nice Pair by No Toasters. Some of the best breakup you can get. This thing is no joke.

products
Old 3rd August 2008
  #53
Lives for gear
 
mikymike's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
The pres I prefer aren't in the stated price range.

The first time I heard API on drums I was blown away. When I actaully tried to use them to record drum I was very disappointed and ended up selling them. I found they clipped even when set to the lowest input and that the tone I loved disappeared when I put the pad in. So I sold them and no longer use API pres at all.
You should have learned how to properly pad your api's, what an eye opener!!!
Old 3rd August 2008
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikymike View Post
You should have learned how to properly pad your api's, what an eye opener!!!
I did - with bubble wrap and a nice cardboard box!
Old 3rd August 2008
  #55
Gear Addict
 

API 3124+ and Pads

I'm just a hobbyist when recording, but I've been confused about this API 3124+ and padding for a while. I track through the API 3124+ for some drum tracks to the RME ADI-8 DS and I've never had an issue with clipping. Sorry, this is probably another thread, I'm just wondering about this pad stuff. BTW, I like the TG2 a bit more on snare, API or TG2 is a toss up on kick for me, similar good sounds. API sounds better to me on overheads vs. my Neve 1073 DPA and TG2, but this stuff takes a while to dig into.
Old 3rd August 2008
  #56
Lives for gear
 
mikymike's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
I did - with bubble wrap and a nice cardboard box!
lol-good for u!!! Let me give u my shipping address.
Old 3rd August 2008
  #57
Here for the gear
 

I love my API 512c's and UA LA-610 on drums. Is anyone using a BAE 1272 on drums, and if so, which piece of the kit? I was thinking kick or room mic.
Old 3rd August 2008
  #58
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Anything API...
Old 3rd August 2008
  #59
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radium View Post
Is anyone using a BAE 1272 on drums, and if so, which piece of the kit? I was thinking kick or room mic.
Yes... Kick or room mics/ overheads.
Old 3rd August 2008
  #60
Quote:
Originally Posted by radium View Post
I love my API 512c's and UA LA-610 on drums. Is anyone using a BAE 1272 on drums, and if so, which piece of the kit? I was thinking kick or room mic.
ma5 or BAE 1272 on kick for me plus synths, lead guitar, summing too!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump