The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice needed on studio routing/gear Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear Head

Advice needed on studio routing/gear

Hi fellow Slutz,

Thx for visiting this thread!

I was hoping to get some feedback on my studio plan.

I have attached a drawing of the routing for tracking the first guide track. My idea is to record drum+bass+vocals (wet + dry) and add all other instruments later. (1st question here: is this a good idea?)

In the attached you see i want to use the ADATS of the Presonus Digimax Fs ch 1-4 @96Khz and i was hoping i can still use the direct outs of ch 5-8 (Can somebody confirm this?? )

Any other comments on the routing???

Here is what im planning to use as mic (alway welcome to hear some feedback on that altho i want to prevent this thread from becomming a which-mic-to-choose-thread since its rather subjective):

Kick: Shure beta52A or D112
Snare up: Sm57
Sare down: At2020??? we'll experiment a lil on this one
Hihat: Behringer C2 (don't laugh!)
Tom1: not sure yet so ill start with an sm58
Tom2: not sure yet so ill start with an sm58
Floor: I have an nice old beyer for this
OH L+R: Oktava M012
Vox: TLM103
Guitar: e906
Bass: Sansamp/DI/Beta52A or D112

All comment are welcome especially on the routing questions
Attached Thumbnails
Advice needed on studio routing/gear-routing.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Routing.bmp (71.9 KB, 817 views)
Old 25th March 2009
Gear Head

C'mon guys... Anyone??
Old 25th March 2009
Gear Maniac

I can't make out the drawing very well, but for the digimax, ADAT is limited to 48K unless using the SMUX, then yes you can go to 96k, but then you will have to use 2 adat cables to carry the bandwidth just for the 4 channels, so you will not be able to use the other 4 channels. I think your plan for the mics seem good to me, I don't know about the Berhinger (?) or the 58's for toms though. For the Oktava's - if you can have them modded - they are completely different mics, awesome mics modded! They may even pickup enough of the hats, that you won't even need the berhinger. I also use the e906 and really like it for elec. guitar.
Old 26th March 2009
Gear Head

Hi Icressy,

Thx a lot for your comment thumbsup

My intention with the Digimax (in SMUX mode yes) was to use the preamp-out of ch5-8 (so not over ADAT) into the line in of the Fireface. You think this won't work?

Thx for the mod. info on the Oktava's.. ill look into to see if someone can mod them around here.
Old 26th March 2009
Gear Maniac

I'm pretty sure it will work.

I think the Preamp out plugs are always available, if you are using any ADAT or not.
At least on Presonus website in the Digimax D8 catalog they were explaining how you could use it for Mic splitting. plugging 8 mics into your D8, using the ADAT into a recording device, and the Direct outputs (from the preamps in the D8) into your consolel/whatever

I have a Fireface 400 and a Digimax FS in my studio, I'll try to check this out today if i have the time.
Old 26th March 2009
Gear Head

Hey Addni,

Thanks a lot for your comment! I have read the same, but if you can test it it would be awesome!

Happy with ur FF400? Planning to buy one soon.. still thinking about the 800 also a bit..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search