The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to make a microphone (How do i do it or where can i look?)
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

How to make a microphone (How do i do it or where can i look?)

So i was thinking to myself the other day, there are a few mic makers around here... how in hell do they do it?

Now i don't wanna have to go get a degree in electronics to learn how to do this so if that is gonna be the case then please stop me in my tracks.

I would like to learn how to make a mic from complete scratch, not buying the diaphragm etc then putting it together, making it from complete scratch except the casing.. that would be a pain to make.

If anyone can help or point me in the right direction that would be great.
Old 22nd March 2009
isnt sahiaman a mic maker?
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

DIY - Index

Lots of reading

Matti
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

I can provide you with some advice if you like, give me a call. 0419 481 569. I also have some hard to get parts. cheers
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

See i'm a bit of an idiot, why didnt i think of you before ben! (i spoke to you just recently about refitting a mic, just waiting on that 900 bucks and it will be off) So i'll probably give you a ring then and discuss it.
Old 23rd March 2009
Gear Guru

If you want to make the capsules as well you might find yourself on a long journey.....but good on you and get in!
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Electronics is only 1\4 the case and is used to "just" amplify the low signal output from the mechanical stage to adequate level.
3\4 of the process is designing and machining the capsule acording to the complex science of acoustics.

So if your going for a degre ,better do a combined electronics-mechanics
Old 23rd March 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
If you want to make the capsules as well you might find yourself on a long journey.....but good on you and get in!
and tell us all about it
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear
Well, a background in electro-mechanical engineering would help, but actually the theoretical principles of mic design are pretty easy to understand.

The problems start in getting the equipment to be able to build the windings, membranes, transformers (if applicable) and other such things, in such a way as to guarantee a constant level of performance.

The housings are actually the easy part, as you just need a lathe for the body parts and a small stamping press for the baskets. It is however, labour intensive, so most manufacturers just buy in the housings from China, usually in boxes of 100 or so.

But even if you only ever build one prototype that sounds as if it has been swallowed by the cat, the resultant knowledge is worth the journey, so go for it, I say!
Old 23rd March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dviola View Post
and tell us all about it

.....lol......and talk lots to people like Ben.......
Old 25th March 2009
Lives for gear

Ah so the electrical side is pretty (well relatively) simple. awesome. Well i'll be talking to ben in the next month (our government has been so kind as to give every tax payer $900 if they earn under 80k a year :D) so if i start building one, i dunno i'll probably make a new thread and document it.

Should be nice and bloody difficult even if it does sound like crap.
Old 25th March 2009
Gear Maniac

I'd recommend you zoom over to ProSoundWeb and talk to Klaus Heyne. He's a big time mic modder and will be able to answer your questions with more precision than most people around here can.
Old 25th March 2009
Lives for gear

Making capsules...
This is a photo of tensioning the diaphragm

Matti
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

Wow, that's cool! Ranks right up there with the French fellow making tubes. Not sure I'm steady enough for that hobby anymore...
Old 26th March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
Wow, that's cool! Ranks right up there with the French fellow making tubes. Not sure I'm steady enough for that hobby anymore...
lol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search