The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rush
Old 8th December 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
I have no love for Geddy's voice but the band is as raw, or more raw, than ever. I hadn't heard them for 20 years and I was really blown away by the rock energy of these guys...

that's the thing that impresses me the most. my friends dragged me to a cream concert at msg, cream was before my time and i never gave them much thought. they all seemed to be phoning it in. i left early.

i saw wilco and the flaming lips at msg on new years eve, i left early. morcheeba at nokia, left early. doves at tla in philly, left early.

i leave a lot of shows early because, for whatever reason, i seem to be witnessing a phenomenon in pop music where the players on stage do everything they're supposed to do, all the right notes in all the right places, and nobody is taking any chances at all. there is no risk, nothing is on the line, everything feels too damn safe. i get bored. i leave.

live jazz moves me a lot lately. rush, well, i never came close to wanting to leave, those boys were putting it out there in a way that put all the above mentioned acts to shame. sadly, this safety is an affliction that hits local acts too. hey, when you're onstage in a club with 10 people in the audience, try playing harder, try looking directly at me, try making it count.

what's the alternative?

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

i saw rush a couple of years ago here in Rio.... awesome show, awesome band... peart is really impressive live... it was 3 hours non-stop of serious ball-busting...

alex lifeson gets great tones from the many many guitars he uses during the show... geedy lee does good as a frontman. i know lot's of people complain bout his voice... but it sounded really good live.

a really great band.
Old 8th December 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
geedy lee does good as a frontman. i know lot's of people complain bout his voice... but it sounded really good live.

a really great band.
Going just by radio hits, I think he sounds pretty good on "Fight the good fight", "Lay it on the line", and "Magic power".
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

man i just could not stand Triumph.
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKmusic View Post
Well, not from the get go. John and Paul were writing songs together when they were like 12 right? They didn't even know what a dominant 7 was. lol

I'm just kidding, and I know I was reaching with that point. The real point I was trying to make was that their music got more and more complex, as did Rush's.
Rush was not/is not the Beatles, but if you're going to use the Beatles as a measuring stick, you're not going to find too many bands that will measure up, if any.

In fact, why not just burn every record made since Abbey Road?

Actually maybe that's called for, nevermind.
:-)

I like Rush. I like Josh Groban. I like Metallica. I like John Williams. The point is, it's really silly to knock something anyone likes. If their music doesn't reach you, it doesn't reach you. It's insane to knock someone because of the CHORDS they use, for heaven's sake. There's nothing complex about a diminished or augmented chord and the earlier poster was, for some reason, using the lack of them to point out the "unsophisticated" nature of the song being discussed. Silly. That's how the song goes, bub

You want great chord progessions go listen to a Nelson Riddle arrangement or put on the soundtrack to "Bullitt." Meanwhile, long live rock

And The Beatles, which are a whole 'nother animal

TH
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

since when did playing diminished chords make someone a better musician? is this some theory started by yngwie malmsteen? heh

i dont love rush's music, but i definitely enjoy it...just not enough to go out and buy the albums. however, im eternally grateful to them because my favorite band is heavily influenced by them long live progressive rock!
Old 8th December 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
I like Rush. I like Josh Groban. I like Metallica. I like John Williams. The point is, it's really silly to knock something anyone likes. If their music doesn't reach you, it doesn't reach you. It's insane to knock someone because of the CHORDS they use, for heaven's sake. There's nothing complex about a diminished or augmented chord and the earlier poster was, for some reason, using the lack of them to point out the "unsophisticated" nature of the song being discussed. Silly. That's how the song goes, bub

You want great chord progessions go listen to a Nelson Riddle arrangement or put on the soundtrack to "Bullitt." Meanwhile, long live rock

And The Beatles, which are a whole 'nother animal

TH
I'm with ya oceantracks. Some of the best stuff ever written (IMO) was simple 3 chord tunes. So what is the point? It has to be complicated to be good? Sorry but I can't agree with that.
Old 8th December 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
tutt Don't be dissin' Rik Emmitt, he is a hell of a talent and performer.

What ever happened to them, b.t.w.?
He's still around. Performing in Toronto on the 13th of this month. He just recently release a collab CD.

Here's his myspace page where you can find out more if you like.
http://www.myspace.com/rikemmettnetwork
Old 8th December 2006
Gear Maniac

the only bad thing i can say about a rush show
is when they would drag max webster along to open
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

Rush are jittery, they can't seem to get a groove happening, and its hard to listen to that lead singer. HEE!

And the guitar? ...a much better version is way back ..Cobham with McLaughlin or Holdsworth ..that stuff cooks and grooves.
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstrat View Post
the only bad thing i can say about a rush show
is when they would drag max webster along to open
WHAT!!!

Max Webster was a great band !!!
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
Then Put on the Beatles "I Saw Her Standing There". Really. Download it and listen to it. If you can't understand why Ringo and Paul are one of the greatest ****ing rhythm sections ever after listening to that, you'll never ever get what is so lame about Neil and Geddy.
And I'm OK with that. Never liked the Beatles.

Quote:
You ever heard Neil shuffle? Me neither.
Why does he need to? What's so great about shuffle?

Quote:
Ringo, Hal Blaine, James Gadson, John Bonham, Jim Keltner, Mick Fleetwood ... these guys can play four on the floor and it just ****ing kills.
No argument there. Sometimes the simplest beat played with a lot of drive is the best thing for a song, and those guys did it better than anyone.

But sometimes it isn't.
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHunter View Post
He's still around. Performing in Toronto on the 13th of this month. He just recently release a collab CD.

Here's his myspace page where you can find out more if you like.
http://www.myspace.com/rikemmettnetwork
Nice acoustic songs! ... Emotionally much warmer than Rush.

I love middle - period Rush though (Farewell >>> Moving Pictures).

Alex Lifeson is definitely a big early influence
Old 9th December 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
live jazz moves me a lot lately. rush, well, i never came close to wanting to leave, those boys were putting it out there in a way that put all the above mentioned acts to shame. sadly, this safety is an affliction that hits local acts too.
And interestingly, all the notes are composed ...
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
No, Moving Pictures was most definitely not the first Rush DDD album. It was recorded through the first SSL in North America, to analog tape. So was Signals. So was Grace Under Pressure I believe. After that their sound goes all to hell. Early digital. Yuck.

Been a Rush fan since 6th grade. Didn't listen to them for a while, then re-discovered lots of cool music from my youth. Their 30 year concert last year was great.

The guys in Rush dig old Genesis, but the guys in Yes do not dig Rush. A friend of mine used to hang out with Chris Squire and Trevor Rabin, and he said they would always thumb their noses (especially Chris) when Rush came on the radio or was mentioned.

I'm sure Geddy played a Rickenbacker because Chris did, but I guess Chris was not flattered. Personally, I put Yes and Genesis in a different vein than Rush. Rush has way more Led Zeppelin influence than the others. They're less classically influenced.

[edited off-topic Yes/Genesis war topics]

For people who laugh at prog rock, the movie Spinal Tap has a great parody of the whole genre. I believe the song they do is 'Druid'. Absolutely hilarious!

BTW, Jon Anderson in those white robes. And that high voice. He must be an angel. Peter Gabriel was much more creative with his costumes too.

Yes, the SSL serial number#11 used to record , Permanent Waves , Moving Pictures and Signals is in Tree Studio actually.
http://www.treesoundstudios.com/audi...rol/index.html
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
I have read "Atlas Shrugged" every year for the past 25 years or so (snip).
That's a little bit scary.

No one (literary critics, academics, philosophers etc) really takes Rand seriously besides... um, Randians. That says a lot about Rand's credibilty. If you like 'Atlas Shrugged' that's cool, but I can't imagine reading something even as great as say 'Gravity's Rainbow' every year for 25 years.

Speaking of Rush...

Rush is great to play at a party when you want something that will make everyone clear out and go home.
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4PCs View Post
Yes, the SSL serial number#11 used to record , Permanent Waves , Moving Pictures and Signals is in Tree Studio actually.
http://www.treesoundstudios.com/audi...rol/index.html
So was it only digitally mastered then?

There's mention of some digital editing and mastering done at Masterdisk:

Quote from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Pictures_(album)

"In the original album, credit was given to "Love Man and the Love Machine." In the re-issue this was clarified to credit Peter Jensen and Digital Recording Systems Company. The "Love Machine" was the band's compliment to the sound of the Sony PCM-1600 digital recording system run by Jensen ("Love Man")."

# Bob Ludwig - mastering and remastering
# Peter Jensen - digital mastering and editing

Anyone know Paul Northfield? Maybe he could put us out of our misery

anyway here's a link to another (shorter) "Moving Pictures appreciation thread"

*bumpo*
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

I'm hooked on Rush's "mystic rhythms" and "time stand still"
I just discovered them a few weeks ago after I had watched Rush( A rock doc) on VH1

YouTube - ‪rush mystic rhythms‬‏
Mystic Rhythms.

YouTube - ‪RUSH Time Stand Still‬‏
Time stand still

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search