The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rush
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

This whole thing about the chords being boring under the melody doesn't make sense. Its still rock music. What do you want to hear? 12 tone rows? You must really hate the blues.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Nut

jdunn wrote:

"The guys in Rush dig old Genesis, but the guys in Yes do not dig Rush. A friend of mine used to hang out with Chris Squire and Trevor Rabin, and he said they would always thumb their noses (especially Chris) when Rush came on the radio or was mentioned."

Yes, but Chris Squire isn't actually very nice about a whole bunch of stuff or people, is he, when you come right down to it?

Personally, I love all these groups, and the small-mindedness is something of a letdown.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u
This whole thing about the chords being boring under the melody doesn't make sense. Its still rock music. What do you want to hear? 12 tone rows? You must really hate the blues.
Oy. Obtuseness springs eternal. (There's a polysyllabic word for all you Rush lyric fans.)

I didn't say boring. I said pedestrian. I said they were chasing the melody around with triads. Obviously another person who doesn't understand harmony. And, yeah right ... I'm the one saying Peart can't shuffle, so I obviously must not like the blues. You know, 'cuz blues drummers don't need to ever shuffle or anything.
Old 4th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair
I didn't say boring. I said pedestrian. I said they were chasing the melody around with triads. Obviously another person who doesn't understand harmony. And, yeah right ... I'm the one saying Peart can't shuffle, so I obviously must not like the blues. You know, 'cuz blues drummers don't need to ever shuffle or anything.
Pedestrian is so un-true, lets see you even play a rush song live from start to finish, one like natural science with its weird 7/8 timing, its augmented an suspended chords and weird melodies and progressions.

I would say that stuff is genius. not pedestrian, mind blowingly original, unique, and very different from anything else out there even to this day... Rush stands the test of time as well. i can still listen to most of their music and never tire of it.

Neil peart is a drumming god, and i still think he is the best in any form of rock. live, or in the studio.. Alex is my fav guitarist. very original.

I understand harmony well, but i don't subscribe to your holy version of it. I think most normal music sucks so... oh well. deal...
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Well, there you have it. You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know.
Old 4th August 2005
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Here we go!
Portico, Video, Audio
TEST FOR ECO!!!
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Like most, I felt that they kind of peaked around the time of "Moving Pictures"...but as an album I thought that "Counterparts" was their best work since then, and quite a bit different than the others that came before or after...pretty raw-sounding and all the songs (except maybe one) were pretty strong. And it rocked.

-Duardo
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Nut

Obtuseness only has 3 syllables.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well, there you have it. You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know.

You're bagging on Rush, by quoting a Grateful Dead lyric?

Smoke another joint, judgement boy...
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Nut

Ragging successful musicians is so much fun!

Here's the problem:

Music is subjective, it's an art form, and it's a matter of what you *like*, not how it is relative to something else.

Neil doesn't swing. Only a moron would listen to Rush and go "gee... this would be better if he would swing".

Likewise, I don't listen to Elvin Jones and think "wow, I wish he'd play some cool beat in 11 and do some 32nd note fills accented with a splash".

Or better yet, cite some other artist who has their own cliches as being superior. It's freaking rock and roll - which is a cliche itself. Somebody singing in the vein of Bob Dylan is no more legit than Geddy Lee singing about a snow dog, or somebody playing power chords sloppily through Yet Another Marshall is no more "art" than what Lifeson does - just because it's more primitive.

Here's the deal: you know what Neil Peart sounds like when he plays, right? Not only that, but you know Neil Peart *drum beats* when you hear them, right?

You don't have to like that or how he plays it, BUT - that's a really, really serious accomplishment for a musician. You can make fun of it, but - what have you done.....?
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkamacher
Ragging successful musicians is so much fun!

Here's the problem:

Music is subjective, it's an art form, and it's a matter of what you *like*, not how it is relative to something else.

Neil doesn't swing. Only a moron would listen to Rush and go "gee... this would be better if he would swing".

Likewise, I don't listen to Elvin Jones and think "wow, I wish he'd play some cool beat in 11 and do some 32nd note fills accented with a splash".

Or better yet, cite some other artist who has their own cliches as being superior. It's freaking rock and roll - which is a cliche itself. Somebody singing in the vein of Bob Dylan is no more legit than Geddy Lee singing about a snow dog, or somebody playing power chords sloppily through Yet Another Marshall is no more "art" than what Lifeson does - just because it's more primitive.

Here's the deal: you know what Neil Peart sounds like when he plays, right? Not only that, but you know Neil Peart *drum beats* when you hear them, right?

You don't have to like that or how he plays it, BUT - that's a really, really serious accomplishment for a musician. You can make fun of it, but - what have you done.....?
Well Said.

What I find friggin amazing is folks who say Neil or the gang 'overplay'... Ha...

How the hell can you 'overplay' something you wrote? How can it be too 'busy' if that is the WAY it goes...? It was written like that. ...that is the line.
get it?

When you see the sheet music for it..it looks JUST LIKE the WAY it was PLAYED. It does not have less notes on paper. Funny nonsense.

If was written 'less' busy...then THAT would be the line... Where is the confusion?
The 'overplay' comment is the most pointless and useless thing I have ever heard...and has zero relevance on anything.

P&B,
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
What I find friggin amazing is folks who say Neil or the gang 'overplay'... Ha...

How the hell can you 'overplay' something you wrote? How can it be too 'busy' if that is the WAY it goes...? It was written like that. ...that is the line.
get it?
Neil himself actually has said that he thinks he overplayed earlier in his career.

He's not the one who writes the music...typically Alex and Geddy write the music together and he writes the lyrics. They'll give him the music they've come up with and he'll come up with his parts. Of course it is a collaborative process, but it's still possible to overplay. Whether or not someone is "overplaying" or not is a somewhat subjective thing, but you could still overplay on something you wrote yourself.

-Duardo
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

A member of this forum and I were talking about what good comedy this thread is. Seriously, one of the best on the internet. All you troll feeders ...you've just been pwned. All your prog rock are belong to us.

BTW, Mr Generic, I don't do drugs. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo
Neil himself actually has said that he thinks he overplayed earlier in his career.

He's not the one who writes the music...typically Alex and Geddy write the music together and he writes the lyrics. They'll give him the music they've come up with and he'll come up with his parts. Of course it is a collaborative process, but it's still possible to overplay. Whether or not someone is "overplaying" or not is a somewhat subjective thing, but you could still overplay on something you wrote yourself.

-Duardo
What's up Duardo?

Geddy and Alex didn't write or play Neil's parts...
Neil may wish he had done 'it differently' at some point, but that has no relevance...Hindsight is what it is....hindsight.

He was perfectly happy about it when he 'wrote' them...

Who wouldn't like to go back in time and change what better fit's thier perspective 'now'?

You can only do what you do when you do it...and you can only know what you know when you know it.

But...I understand the concept...honestly.

Quote:
A member of this forum and I were talking about what good comedy this thread is. Seriously, one of the best on the internet. All you troll feeders
Of course JJ .. ... Broken record already....

You are obviously talented bro...demonstrate it.

Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkamacher

NP plays how/what he plays. I'm not waiting for Rush to bust out swingin, daddy-O. Or shuffle some blues... Probably sound like a couple of stiff white Canucks... Oh wait... Forgot who I'm talkin bout...

Anyway, I'm not looking for NP to swing, or saying he can't swing...
I'm just saying, the man just don't swing.
Not swing, but swing....
Anyone follow that?!
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
A member of this forum and I were talking about what good comedy this thread is. Seriously, one of the best on the internet. All you troll feeders ...you've just been pwned. All your prog rock are belong to us.

BTW, Mr Generic, I don't do drugs. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
An understandable mistake. I can only judge from the quality of your posts...
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Rush is the greatest band on Earth. They are the most talented musicians and songwriters ever. Their virtuosity makes their music the most listenable of any music. Their fans obviously have impeccable taste and a discerning ear. Only people who are truly intelligent and really understand music can appreciate Rush's greatness.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
You mean you don't like fills on the hi hat that end in an 8" splash? But that's so jazzy!
Dave Matthews drummer is the most annoying famous dummer I can think of ... Brady Blade on his solo record was quite a relief, if only they recorded that one analog.

And Rush is cool for what they have created, like ACDC is cool for what they created ... but the lyrical delivery sounds like he's singing covers ... not surprisingly, he is!

There's something to singing others lyrics that many people cant pull off ... Geddy is one of these emotionless singers .. no depth, like wallpaper ...

Add that to the intellectual content (which I like) and you get double DISTANCE. I think a lot of people FEEL this 2x distant vibe and are turned off of Rush for reasons they cant well describe.

But I dare anyone to see them live and not have a good time ... they are playing very loose these days, and it's super bad.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
...the lyrical delivery sounds like he's singing covers ... not surprisingly, he is!
What do you mean "he"? I thought that was a chick?

Actually, in all seriousness, Rush is great live. I've seen three of their tours. I have a lot more respect for them than my twisted sense of humor lets on. Really, I'm not saying they're good or bad. My criticism is in terms of taste. Besides, I just love the way NP fans freak out when you criticize him. I just can't help myself!
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Come on now JJ, don't let up now! This thread is hilarious.

I love the overplaying/music is subjective arguments. All I can say is that if the style of musicianship of any band makes women stay far away and attracts Dungeon & Dragons playing male geeks, well, that says enough. Whether or not the band overplays or the 'quality' of the music might be subjective but the end result certainly isn't.

One thing I have noticed about chatting with musicians that talk about how they really love Rush is that as a general rule it seems like their live shows are a sausage fest as well for whatever reason...
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Head

I used to really enjoy listening to music with fine drummers like david garibaldi, jack dejohnette, terry bozzio, michael shrieve, billy cobham, elvin, buddy rich, gene krupa, bernard purdie, dennis chambers, peter erskin, art blakey, zach danziger, brian blade, billy kreutzman, billy higgins, bill bruford, stewart copeland, kenny clarke, phil collins, john bonham, mitch mitchell, narada michael walden, trilok gurtu, roy hanes, charlie watts, ringo, hal blaine, ginger baker, louie bellson, simon phillips, alex acuna,steve gadd....to name a few.

...and then I thought to myself......every day, it's the same thing....variety....I want something different.

so now, I'm now on a strict diet of zero carbs, sex in the city reruns, and rush. since this thread started I've been cycling rush's music 24-7, and neil pert's robotic drumming has become the soundtrack to my life, and I've never been happier...
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hey drumzy...
Is that Geddy in your avatar? heh
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Nut

I like blue, except on wednesdays when the river is square and garrulous.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

I don't think anybody has said that they can't play. Did they? I must have missed that post.

BTW, I wonder if John Rutsey has ever met Pete Best. Those two should seriously hang.
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrane
thank u ubik...

how about

cinematic orchestra
jazzanova
hefner (not the band the producer... ubik please check this cat if u don't know him...)
maxwell / stuart matthewman / sweetback
erykah badu / jill scott / d'angelo
the rebirth
modern groove assembly
marc de clive lowe
theo parrish
fertile ground
roy hargrove
pat metheny (still doing it)
wayne shorter (still doing it)
john taverner / arvo part
keith jarrett
charles lloyd (doing it again)
the roots / talib kweli
bugz in the attic (of course)

heck, amerie's "one thing" rocks harder than alan white's entire drumkit ouvre...

(i saw yes w. alan white, trevor rabin, chris squire, and a few others... man does that drummer drop time...)
You forgot:

Shpongle
Amon Tobin
DJ Shadow
RDJ2
Opeth
anything with Mike Patton in it
God Speed You! Black Emperor
Sigur Ros
Explosions in the Sky
Notwist
Gridlock
Haujobb
Esmerine

and probably a billion others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzy
I used to really enjoy listening to music with fine drummers like david garibaldi, jack dejohnette, terry bozzio, michael shrieve, billy cobham, elvin, buddy rich, gene krupa, bernard purdie, dennis chambers, peter erskin, art blakey, zach danziger, brian blade, billy kreutzman, billy higgins, bill bruford, stewart copeland, kenny clarke, phil collins, john bonham, mitch mitchell, narada michael walden, trilok gurtu, roy hanes, charlie watts, ringo, hal blaine, ginger baker, louie bellson, simon phillips, alex acuna,steve gadd....to name a few.
What?!? No Flo Mounier? Or Yanic Bercier?!
Old 9th August 2005
box
Gear Nut

Or Dave Weckl?

Bwa ha ha just kidding.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I heard them I knew what Jerry Falwell must have felt like when he saw Maplethorpe's "Christ Submerged In Urine" photos.
Robert Mapplethorpe (two 'P's, thanks) had nothing to do with "Piss Christ" (the actual title of the work). It was, and remains, the work of Andres Serrano.

If you're gonna become the new "Mr. I've-got-a-big-opinion-and-watch-out-for-the-girth", then do us all a favour and get your FACTS right.

Dick.

Quote:
BTW, Mr Generic, I don't do drugs.
Dude, you should. The more time you spend looking for your keys, the less time you spend on this forum.

Oh, and for what it's worth (nothing, by the way), I have two Rush albums, down from ten.

Cheers,

bdp
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Well, there's apparently no pleasing some people. First, my name is J.J., not Dick. I don't know where you got that idea. And sorry that my knowledge of photographers doesn't go beyond C.S. Bull, Avedon, Galen Rowell and the Ansel Adams books I've read. (Did I spell those all right?) Give me some time, and maybe I'll reach your level or erudition.

As for the rest of your post, well I have to say that having an opinion, whether or not it's popular, has gotten me a lot more work than not having an opinion. Besides, those opinions generally have some irony and humor to them, which you obviously missed. Fortunately, the handful of people with paying jobs to offer me, who believe it or not have hired me based on stuff I've posted in forums, did not miss that.

Also, I try to not personally attack individuals or call them names. In my opinion, that's what really makes somebody a dick.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
And, yeah right ... I'm the one saying Peart can't shuffle
nah your right. He cant swing to save himself. He's proved that on the "Burnin for Buddy" project.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search