The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rush
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair
That would be "What is 2112?" Alex.
Da dunt dunt dunt dunt... Dey dunt dunt dunt dunt heh

I used to live and die by Peart many, many moons ago. He was the *in*, hip, bestest, fastest, "man how did he play that", kinda drummer. For me at that time, he was the most popular of the guys who over played on their records. I wanted to be like him. Then I started playing with a bass player who was a Led head. So Bonham became my bestest, fastest, "man how did he play that", kinda drummer.

Around that time I started listening to music for enjoyment rather than to cop licks, and I noticed I was drawn to the stuff that moved me. These guys weren't the *best* drummers, but the way they moved the song was awesome. Hmmm... groovin, swingin, dog doo shuffle. It's all good if there's some feeling in there. Relax a bit, let it breathe, take your time, feel it out, pick your spots, but always..
Lay it down!

Andrew
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I love 'Red Barchetta'. It's got a complex prog rock feel with its time signatures and complex layering, but at the same time it has such a driving feel behind all thoes guitars. Not to mention the lyrics are story-like and you can imagine whats going on. I also love 'The Trees'. Listen everytime and hear something new. Amazing!

Its rare to have complexity/prog rock and feel work together. Rush did it. I could never feel the power behind Yes.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
in no particular order:

fourtet
zero 7
elbow
arovane
hamza al din
the doves
air
the goton project
phoenix
bjork
radiohead
ubik (ahem!)
mos def
nikka costa
dj food
catherine wheel

if we expanded the scope to the last decade, that list would triple again, and if we included scores and soundtracks it would double over that. additionally, there are several internet radio stations that play very cool stuff all day long that i've never heard of, will never buy, and enjoy thoroughly nonetheless.

c'mon outside fellas, the water's fine!

gregoire
del ubik
thank u ubik...

how about

cinematic orchestra
jazzanova
hefner (not the band the producer... ubik please check this cat if u don't know him...)
maxwell / stuart matthewman / sweetback
erykah badu / jill scott / d'angelo
the rebirth
modern groove assembly
marc de clive lowe
theo parrish
fertile ground
roy hargrove
pat metheny (still doing it)
wayne shorter (still doing it)
john taverner / arvo part
keith jarrett
charles lloyd (doing it again)
the roots / talib kweli
bugz in the attic (of course)

heck, amerie's "one thing" rocks harder than alan white's entire drumkit ouvre...

(i saw yes w. alan white, trevor rabin, chris squire, and a few others... man does that drummer drop time...)
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Alan White? Blech!

You left out the Casualties of Jazz.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Generic
Neil Peart's drumming seemed stiff and alien to me at first, but I adjusted and can hear the beauty of it now. You could try that, drummrboy, if you wern't so busy passing judgement after hearing 10 seconds of an instructional tape. Music can be a lot more than gooves and pop songs.
I'm not slamming Rush, well maybe a little. Truth is, I found myself being pulled to something different. I've been into many bands with *busy* players. Something about them kept me listening. Something about Rush, made me stop. I don't know what exactly, and it doesn't really keep me up at night.

Peart didn't seem stiff to me at first. I started to feel that way as I got older. When I was younger, he was *perfect*. Now I see it as pretty upright playing. Just not my cup of feel anymore. As far as the instructional tape goes... My main point being I couldn't see who was playing. When I came around front, I was surprised to see Peart. When I think swing I don't think Peart. I watched a few minutes of it. That was enough for me. I don't feel compelled to attempt to regain my passion for Rush. I hear them on the radio, and it's cool. But not enough to get me to bust out my Albums.

Andrew
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Well drumrboy, fair enough. You like what you like. I like tight technical drummers like Peart, and I like loose, swinging, in-the-pocket drummers (who drums on the Chess Muddy Waters sides, BTW? That guy (those guys) rock(s)!). Basicly I like musicians who are getting off on what they do, challenging themselves, finding meaning within it all, and communicate that; and all three musicians in Rush do, at least for me.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Personally I think it is nice that not everybody can understanb Rush. They aren't for everybody...Niether is De La Soul...or the Talking Heads.

I learned to play bass with the Geddy as my teacher...I later learned to play bass with Nathan Watts as my teacher...then Ray Brown and Paul Chambers and then Jaco and Christian Mcbride and this still goes on and on....

What are you proving if you don't like the songs or feeling or musicians of Rush?
It's OK that you don't get it...you can just move on past it and get on with your own groove level.

26 albums
Rush = rock history ...you can flap till your blue but who cares?

This started as a Rush appreciation thread...and personally I support it. Rush gave me hope as a kid that there was a bigger picture.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Forget Rush.

It's all about MAX WEBSTER baby.

HA! Take off YOU HOSERS!

Kidding. Rush was my life until Moving Pictures. Then Geddy decided rocking the bass wasn't good enough, he had to dive into synth hell.

After that every Rush track had to have a "we're happy" section. So first comes this major rocking groove, but then.... HAPPY.

I liked them angry.

So yeah. Bonham can't keep time, System of a Down can't play, and Rush is "pedestrian". All valuable products of these types of threads.

Still can't erase some amazing records and rock shows I've experienced. They are indelible memories of times where musicianship mattered.

Long live Rush!
Old 19th July 2005

Camel is the most underrated prog band IMO. Their earlier stuff sounds amazing.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Bonham can't keep time? That's an interesting statement. Sounds like a troll to me.

Have an old road case that belonged to Camel.
Old 19th July 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Dragged out my 'Power Windows' album and checked it out. Hadn't listened to it in years. Yeah, Mystic Rhythms is pretty good, for the techno-pop Rush era. 'Moving Pictures' is the last album they made before they stepped off into the abyss, i.m.o. Today I listened to side two of 'Hemisheres'. Now this is as good as it gets, the peak of Rush? Circumstances, The trees, La Villa Strangiato. This is ultimate Rush, production, arrangement, musicianship, all at the top of their game. The dynamic range of La Villa Strangiato is out of this world. (who says vinyl has poor dynamic range?) tutt
The guitar, bass, and drumwork in that song alone exemplify the peak of mastering one's instrument. Neil Peart can't swing? MAN does he swing on that one!
My all time favorite rush tracks are jacob's ladder, and natural science, then parts of hemispheres, and songs like red sector a. mystic rhythms is in my top 5. I love how the guitars fit with the backwards piano stuff and the huge synth swells and throbs, and then the drums have this awesome tribal feel, and tons of cool percussion sticks out and highlights this and that. the arpeggiating guitar lines are simply amazing, the bass and the vocals are the weakest parts. but dont hurt the track at all. the accoustic stuff is brilliant as well...

I really wish people would of answered my question, i'm more interested in what they did to record and engineer mystic rhythms, and not making a prog rock pissing contest. I never asked about other bands, i asked about 1 song by rush and it turns into a opinion fest. stupid... oh well, such is life on the slutz....
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

You cant say Neil Peart sucks. you can say that he overplays a lot though. A very talented guy (they all are), but simply overplays IMO. Im a huge Rush fan but I gotta be honest, sometimes its like...shut up.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy
I'm not slamming Rush, well maybe a little. Truth is, I found myself being pulled to something different. I've been into many bands with *busy* players. Something about them kept me listening. Something about Rush, made me stop. I don't know what exactly, and it doesn't really keep me up at night.

Peart didn't seem stiff to me at first. I started to feel that way as I got older. When I was younger, he was *perfect*. Now I see it as pretty upright playing. Just not my cup of feel anymore. As far as the instructional tape goes... My main point being I couldn't see who was playing. When I came around front, I was surprised to see Peart. When I think swing I don't think Peart. I watched a few minutes of it. That was enough for me. I don't feel compelled to attempt to regain my passion for Rush. I hear them on the radio, and it's cool. But not enough to get me to bust out my Albums.

Andrew
I feel the same way.

To me Peart and a lot of the drummers who came after like that guy who drums for Dave Matthews just don't have the feel of the rock drummers that came before them.

Like Bonham, or even (you Rush fans will kill me for this) Ringo or Charlie Watts.

It seems like starting with Peart a lot of the feel left Rock & Roll.

Not that I hate Rush or anything, I like a lot of their arrangements even though I don't feel an urge to bust out their albums or anything. And yes Geddy was one of the first reasons for me to start falling in love with the 4001.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante
I feel the same way.

To me Peart and a lot of the drummers who came after like that guy who drums for Dave Matthews just don't have the feel of the rock drummers that came before them.

Like Bonham, or even (you Rush fans will kill me for this) Ringo or Charlie Watts.

It seems like starting with Peart a lot of the feel left Rock & Roll.

Not that I hate Rush or anything, I like a lot of their arrangements even though I don't feel an urge to bust out their albums or anything. And yes Geddy was one of the first reasons for me to start falling in love with the 4001.
The older I get the more I feel this way. I still love Charlie and Ringo. I still appreciate NP and the boys for what they did.

Don't get me started on the Dave Mathews drummer...
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Guru

soultrane,

thanks for that list, i'll be checking those names out.

can't believe i forgot cinematic orchestra!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound
Don't get me started on the Dave Mathews drummer...
You mean you don't like fills on the hi hat that end in an 8" splash? But that's so jazzy!
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
What are you proving if you don't like the songs or feeling or musicians of Rush?
It's OK that you don't get it...you can just move on past it and get on with your own groove level.
Trust me, I get Rush. I've been getting them for years. NP used to be a big part of the way I played. Still is, just not nearly as obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
This started as a Rush appreciation thread...and personally I support it. Rush gave me hope as a kid that there was a bigger picture.
All the world's indeed a stage.... Ouch! I feel so dirty. I need a bar of soap, and lots of hot water!

I showed my appreciation when I said I loved them as a kid and I used to live and die by Peart. But yeah, I show my current lack of interest in almost the same breath. I don't really know what happened, I just kinda put the records away. Oh well...

OK. I'm going to pull my Exit CD out for a little cruising music this week. I'll see what happens. No pressure, just pop it in and go.

Andrew
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I AGREE W/ THE THREAD STARTER!!

I'm with the starter of this thread. How did a simple recording question turn into a pissing match of opinions? Answer the question at hand and keep your opinion about the band to yourself.

Is that so hard?

It reminds me of the scene in Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" where the Grim Reaper shows up to a party where all the guests have died from the salmon mousse. "Let me tell you this, and let me tell you that...well you're DEAD NOW so shut up!"

Unbelievable. How many people have actually responded to the original intention of the post?

My thoughts? The drums were mostly electronic...Peart was most likely using them to compliment the synth sound that was so heavy for them at that time. And the acoustic guitars, although they sound direct, were well arranged and recorded by a quality engineer.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz
It's all about MAX WEBSTER baby.
Ha! You rule!

Koo Roo koo koo koo koo koo koo!!!
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Head

My last favorite Rush album was Farewell To Kings ,I liked that bright guitar sound Alex had in that album .I like the guitar sound of Hemispheres too very haunting growl , then he started using that stupid wammy bar and got lazy with his finger vibrato . Moving Pictures was the last album I bought(remember LPs)I never bother after that(synth city) , every band will reach there peak an then do it because they have to pay the bills.I did not like the first albums including 2112(I think that was the name). The live album before Farewell To Kings was o.k. Love Alex solo in Cygnus X-1 thru the going from 6/4 to 7/4(if I remember correctly) , and Xanadu . They started getting more song oriented in Permanent Waves(for radio)
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

I too must admit my youthful drummer Rush love affair....
Until the first Police record came out!
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Addict

This is turned into a fun thread. Sounds like most of us liked Rush before Signals, Which to me is when Rush jumped the shark. Terrible album, right up there with that whole Mr. Roboto **** that Styx did (pukes).

My views on Neil Peart; great in the studio, sucks live. A drummer without good meter is just a ******. And have you every heard the guy try and do a simple shuffle? (again. pukes).

Alex Lifeson was an average guitar player at best. Sloppy, no chops, too repetitive.....

Yet put them together and they were a great band with great songs and great sound. Just goes to show you that its the sum of all the parts that makes the thing go....
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Vapor Trail blows - The worst Rush Album!
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair
Bonham can't keep time? That's an interesting statement. Sounds like a troll to me.

Have an old road case that belonged to Camel.
John paul Jones keeps the time.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u
John paul Jones keeps the time.
Another troll.

As far as Lifeson goes, I will stick up for him. I respect anybody who develops a unique vocabulary as he has done. The guy does solos and I don't hear riffs where I think "I've heard that riff a million times." Not that it's bad to recycle other people's riffs. Mick Taylor is one of my all time favs, and he's playing the same notes a million other blues based players have played. He's just playing them differently. But I totally respect a guy like Lifeson or I'll use Adrian Belew as another example, where they come up with something completely new and still musical (ie. not Vernon Reid, which was new but just ****ty).

Too bad Lifeson couldn't apply that same musicality to his songwriting, and made the material less pedestrian, as I explained earlier.

And I agree with a previous poster: This is the must fun thread right now.

And for you guys who are still having a hard time with people bagging on Rush, maybe you just need to go roll a 20 sided di to figure out your next move.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Addict

You gotta admit alot of great musicians do what they do to try and achieve some sort of balance, whatever that might be, with the band. I feel that way about Lifeson. btw, did he do a solo album?
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Is Rush worthy of being in the "High End"?
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Any band that can turn an airports VOR morse code transmittion into a complex song is worthy of anything. (YYZ)
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin4Life
Any band that can turn an airports VOR morse code transmittion into a complex song is worthy of anything. (YYZ)
You did say you were seventeen years old, right? I'll give you a pass for that statment then.
Old 21st July 2005

all these snobs on here who say rush is no good, i'd love to see any of you write anything close to what rush has, i know you couldnt, and if you could, you wouldn't be here talking about it..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search