The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
LDC with attitude!!
Old 17th July 2005
LDC with attitude!!

Okay, I know this has been done to death but.... here goes.

I am looking for a LDC mainly for male rock vocals just above $2000 or less. (Before you say it, I already know I need to hear them myself but I want to know what to check out)

The vocal sound from "Remedy" by The Black Crowes comes to mind (or any Black Crowes actually).

Yes I know that most of that sound comes from the singer (yadda yadda yadda) but I like that.. thick... mid-range sound that the right mic with this type of singer can bring. Very smooth with no exaggerated top end. Very specifically I am looking for a mic with some color and mid-range attitude.

I have a good selection of pres, TG2, MP-2NV, 473 and SCA A12's all with some color as well. Do you sense a trend here?? heh

I have been leaning towards a Soundelux iFet7 but I have read a bit about some quality issues?? I hear the quality issues have been cleared up now as well so I hope that is not an issue. I hear the iFet7 has the mid-range breakup that I might be looking for.

What else should I check out??

Thanks!!
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Addict

Neumann M149
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

I love my U195!!!!
Old 17th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad
I love my U195!!!!
I am looking for "that.. thick.... mid-range sound that the right mic with this type of singer can bring. Very smooth with no exaggerated top end. Very specifically I am looking for a mic with some color and mid-range attitude."

The U195 does this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahellam
Neumann M149
I guess I should put that on my list but I am not a big fan of the newer Neumann stuff (post Sennheiser). Again I am looking for that thick mid-range thing but I have never heard a M149 described this way (I have not heard one myself).

Thanks guys.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've got no LDC advice for you (aside from the general idea that you're probably going to want to go in the transformer/tube direction), but have you considered a nice dynamic mic? Shure SM7, EV RE20, etc.? Those mics will give your preamps a little bit more of a workout and perhaps that's where you'll score the tone/thickness you're looking for (TG2, I'm looking in your direction)...
Old 17th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscoleman
I've got no LDC advice for you (aside from the general idea that you're probably going to want to go in the transformer/tube direction), but have you considered a nice dynamic mic? Shure SM7, EV RE20, etc.? Those mics will give your preamps a little bit more of a workout and perhaps that's where you'll score the tone/thickness you're looking for (TG2, I'm looking in your direction)...
Yep. I was going to include that in my post but it was too long (I do that sometimes...).

I am picking up a SM7 later this week for just this reason. I would like to get a LDC to round it out if I am looking for a little more clarity (I am actually a fan of dynamic mics for vocals).

Thanks, good point.

P.S. you can't go wrong with the TG2, NICE unit!!
Old 17th July 2005
GMR
Lives for gear

I wouldn't suggest the u195, it has an exagerated top end but try the E49. That might be closer to what you are looking for!
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Give the Rode K2 a try. They definitely have a nice big, warm sound that far exceeds their $500 price.

If you can swing it, also try the Elux 250. Major mojo indeed.
Old 17th July 2005
Thanks guys....

Again in the $2000 and under range???
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Maniac

In most of the studio pics I've seen of the Crowes, Chris is belting into an SM7. Not sure if those were for scratch tracks or even if they made the records but I have an SM 7 and it sure sounds like a quite a few of the SM7 tracks made it.
Of course I could be totally wrong...............................
FWIW

-Scotty
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

The sm7 is very warm sounding.
If you get right up on this mic, the proximity effect is not unlike an old classic country record.
It's also a great mic for shouters.

I think a U47 or U67 is really the mic you want.
Too bad they're not so affordable.
I would try out an iFet7 and see if it does the trick for you.
You might also look at the Blue "Mouse" just for the hell of it.
It might be a very usable and affordable option for this purpose.
Old 18th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty-o
In most of the studio pics I've seen of the Crowes, Chris is belting into an SM7. Not sure if those were for scratch tracks or even if they made the records but I have an SM 7 and it sure sounds like a quite a few of the SM7 tracks made it.
Of course I could be totally wrong...............................
FWIW

-Scotty
I have never seen any studio pics of them (I am a big fan but I never see any stuff about their sessions, notes or anything. Anyone have any links or know the scoop??). Yep SM7 is on the list for sure and it might be just want the doctor ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiney
The sm7 is very warm sounding.
I am not sure if what I hear in my head is "warm" as much as it is slightly distorted mids, little fuzzy around the 1 to 3 K area. Warm as well but just a touch of that something in the mids is what I am after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winey
I think a U47 or U67 is really the mic you want.
Too bad they're not so affordable.
I would try out an iFet7 and see if it does the trick for you.
You might also look at the Blue "Mouse" just for the hell of it.
It might be a very usable and affordable option for this purpose.
Not sure if I am looking for that U47 sound, that might be a bit too nice for what I hear in my mind. Of course I would not turn one down mind you and part of the sound I hear in my head is the pre, EQ and compression on the chain so maybe a U47 is what I am looking for after all.

When I win that lottery I will let ya know...

thumbsup

The mouse gets such a bad wrap and honestly I have never tried one because of it (that and I have never run across one to check out). What is it like?

Thanks guys, any other suggestions? The ifet7 FET sound might get it but I guess I will have to check it out to see. Between that and the SM7 I might have the bases covered but.... ???
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
The mouse gets such a bad wrap and honestly I have never tried one because of it (that and I have never run across one to check out). What is it like?
I don't know of the Mouse getting a bad rap. I love 'em. Sounds to me like one you should at least check out. It's got thick low mids, lots of color, and tons of mid-range attitude. It doesn't sound exactly like, but is often a good substitute for the U47FET. In fact, I tend to prefer the Mouse for most vocal applications.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 18th July 2005
Way cool... yes I will put that on my list then thanks.

I guess I was under the impression that the Mouse was a smiley mic in the great Chinese tradition, all lows and highs with no mids.....

heh

So I am wrong about that then huh???
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Addict

I thought the Mouse got a good rap.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess I was under the impression that the Mouse was a smiley mic in the great Chinese tradition, all lows and highs with no mids.....
So I am wrong about that then huh???
I'd say so. It's got that sort of 47-esque midrange clarity (no, it doesn't sound like a 47, it just has that sort of character). In fact, I like tracking with that mic and sometimes taking out a bit of the mids in the mix. On certain tracks, it makes the vocals sit nicely while retaining all the intelligibility required. It's sort of like a bigger, badder version of the AT 4047, if you've ever heard one of those. Simliar sonic signature. For whatever it's worth, it also sounds great on bass amps, kick drums, certain guitar amps, upright bass, and harmonica. I'm mixing a record right now that I'm pretty sure had a Mouse on the snare drum and the snare sounds pretty great on tape. It's a totally great mic. Granted, it may be entirely the wrong thing for your vocals, but it sounds to me like it's going in the right direction for what you want. Definitely worth a listen.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Guru

I've used the Microtech Gefell UM 92.1 with a tg on voxs to very good effect for the southern rock/blues thing.
There's a single pattern version... UM 990? that might be in your $ range..
Very good mics for the $.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...chgefell.de%2F

thumbsup
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks guys....

Again in the $2000 and under range???
i'd check out the soundelux ifet7 and of course the shure sm-7.
joshua
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Head

coles 4040 into a tg channel
Old 18th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry zip
coles 4040 into a tg channel
Interesting you say that. I have a 4040 already but I have not had a chance to try it on vocals... actually I just broke it out of the box yesterday for the first time and I have not even hooked it up yet.

I am speaking out of my a$$ here because I have not heard it but my impression is that the 4040 is smooth but would not get the gritty mid-range? Am I wrong here?
Old 18th July 2005
check out a Peluso 2247
Old 18th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
I've used the Microtech Gefell UM 92.1 with a tg on voxs to very good effect for the southern rock/blues thing.
There's a single pattern version... UM 990? that might be in your $ range..
Very good mics for the $.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...chgefell.de%2F

thumbsup
You should be able to find a used UM92.1s for around that price. The BLUE Mouse as well and it is good for kick drum and bass cabinets. The M990 (not UM) does not have the M7 capsule so it will be different from a Um92.1s. The M92.1 is the cardioid only version of the UM92.1s.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
check out a Peluso 2247
just what i was gonna say.. the peluso 22 47 or the 22 251... hell get both
Old 18th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic
just what i was gonna say.. the peluso 22 47 or the 22 251... hell get both
I hear such mixed reviews of these mics. People who like them love them and people who do not like them hate them. Makes me a bit skeptical but I think that is understandable when you are spending over $1000 for anything in life.
Old 18th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
You should be able to find a used UM92.1s for around that price.

Where would I look? I searched around the internet but I did not find anything (I am sure I did not search very well). Also how much would it cost to do Oliver's mod I wonder??
Old 18th July 2005
Quote:
I hear such mixed reviews of these mics. People who like them love them and people who do not like them hate them. Makes me a bit skeptical but I think that is understandable when you are spending over $1000 for anything in life.
Just about anything negative I've seen was written by people who never used them. I use a 2247, I also own and use a U87, and a Soundelux U195. In my place
the peluso regularly beats out both for vocals. Fwiw there was a problem with the early run of the mic where it would sound dull with certain pre's. John took care of that and is great guy on the customer service end of things
Old 18th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where would I look? I searched around the internet but I did not find anything (I am sure I did not search very well). Also how much would it cost to do Oliver's mod I wonder??
I have just done Google searches and found one. They do come up on the slutz classifieds too, and ebay once in a while. I was really lucky and found a barely used demo for $2500 CDN (they retail for almost $4000 up here)and a full warranty. The mod is not that much. I am going off memory and will say the transformer might cost around $175 ish and then the fee to put it in and to rip out the RF filter caps. Any competent tech familiar with mic repair could do it.
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Addict

To throw my 2 cents in. I picked up a um92 multi pattern off ebay for $1700. This may be a pretty good deal as the listing was misspelled. I love this mic, and for the price have not heard it bested on male vox, but I am not sure that it does exactly what you need. I think the cardiod version is the UM92.1S. It does have a bit of midrange precence. FWIW, on the NIN site there was a pic of trent resnor singing into a Mouse (I have no idea if it was a scratch vocal or not). Although its not the Black Crowes sound it may get you close for a good price. When you choose a mic, please post a file of the result. I think a lot of us are looking for that sound.
Old 19th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

I don't know what your total mic locker is, but what about a Beyer M88, a Shure SM7B, an RE20, a Senn 421, an SM58 and have money left over to spare?

War
Old 19th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
I don't know what your total mic locker is, but what about a Beyer M88, a Shure SM7B, an RE20, a Senn 421, an SM58 and have money left over to spare?

War
Hi War

Well as I said above the SM7 is coming next week some time. Right now I have a Coles 4040, a Royer R121, standard 57's and 58's, D112, Nady Chinese ribbons (don't laugh, I got'm for $200 total and they make kick ass room mics) and a pair of NTK's.

Knowing that I have a pair of NTK's you now know why I want a mellow condenser for the locker. The NTK's are just too bright for vocals (and most everything else) but I am keeping them around for toms.

The UM92.1s sounds interesting. Can't find a used one right now but from what I have read they could be what I am looking for.

I sent a few emails to some mic shops and found a U47 Fet for $2700, out of my range I think but that might also be what I am looking for. Not sure it would do what I want but.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search