The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
LDC with attitude!!
Old 19th July 2005
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
The vocal sound from "Remedy" by The Black Crowes comes to mind (or any Black Crowes actually).

Yes I know that most of that sound comes from the singer (yadda yadda yadda) but I like that.. thick... mid-range sound that the right mic with this type of singer can bring. Very smooth with no exaggerated top end. Very specifically I am looking for a mic with some color and mid-range attitude.
I got to mix monitors for Chris & New Earth Mud last year and that voice...that voice will sound like that no matter WHAT mic is in front of him. IIRC, they were carrying an Audix OM (5? 7?) for his vocals but that's a live show.

I'd start with either an SM7 or a good ribbon mic like an SF-1, an RCA 44 or 77 or similar ilk. Maybe a 47-ish mic will work but they're usually too thick in the low-mids and can sound woolly so I'd reach for something clearer on the bottom end. Drive the mic amp pretty hard, stand on the compressor and sprinkle a bit of EQ to taste. Good analog gear is also pretty key. If the singer has the soul and the balls you'll be in the ballpark.

But...

If the singer doesn't have the goods then there's not much you can do to add them.

BTW, get that 47Fet checked out before you spend the dough. Most of the one's I've seen have trashed capsules and aren't worth $27 for a paper weight, let alone $2700.
Old 19th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
I got to mix monitors for Chris & New Earth Mud last year and that voice...that voice will sound like that no matter WHAT mic is in front of him. IIRC, they were carrying an Audix OM (5? 7?) for his vocals but that's a live show.

I'd start with either an SM7 or a good ribbon mic like an SF-1, an RCA 44 or 77 or similar ilk. Maybe a 47-ish mic will work but they're usually too thick in the low-mids and can sound woolly so I'd reach for something clearer on the bottom end. Drive the mic amp pretty hard, stand on the compressor and sprinkle a bit of EQ to taste. Good analog gear is also pretty key. If the singer has the soul and the balls you'll be in the ballpark.

But...

If the singer doesn't have the goods then there's not much you can do to add them.

BTW, get that 47Fet checked out before you spend the dough. Most of the one's I've seen have trashed capsules and aren't worth $27 for a paper weight, let alone $2700.
Yep I am a bit worried about the U47 Fet but this is Vintage King and I think they are pretty cool all in all.

I am going to try the SM7 and my 4040 to see what that comes out like.

I have a line on a Soundelux U99 for a good price but that seems like it might be too clear and clean for me, not enough fuzzy mids (but the TG2 might be able to help there?). Anyone??

Also maybe a Lawson L47MP MKII but I hear mixed reviews, again people who like it love it but some seem to be down on it.

Oh and
Quote:
that voice will sound like that no matter WHAT mic is in front of him.
Kind of like Seal (who I also love).
Old 19th July 2005
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
I have a line on a Soundelux U99 for a good price but that seems like it might be too clear and clean for me, not enough fuzzy mids (but the TG2 might be able to help there?). Anyone??
Huh.

I'd reach for the U99 (or similar U67-ish mic) before any of the 47-clones but that's me.

YMMV.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search