The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
aaaaarrrggghhhhh! 30 day vacate notice
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

aaaaarrrggghhhhh! 30 day vacate notice

The new landlord who purchased our building at the beginning of the year (and told us that they only were interested in the large studio downstairs, they were happy to collect rent on the small spaces upstairs) has just given me my 30 day notice to vacate my space. If anybody in the Burbank area has a spare room (under 200sf) that they would consider leasing out, let me know. Thanks!
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

It figures!

Hey Steve;
Sorry to hear that...
I've been thru it, and know how ya feel!
Sorry I can't help ya cause I'm in NY.
But if ever you need a space in upstate NY, give me a call.
Paul
MillbrookSoundStudios.com
Old 17th July 2005
Ratz.....

Hope some Slutz can pull through for you...

I am going to take the rare step of copying this to my forum.. check in on both..

Old 17th July 2005
member no 666

Check with one of the local government agencies... even with a 'tenant at will' situation it can take longer than 30 days to get evicted. Obviously, keep looking around for a new space, but take that 30 days as a "suggestion" instead of a hard/firm "drop dead" date.

Sorry to hear about the struggle... best of luck with the search!!!
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_steve
The new landlord who purchased our building at the beginning of the year (and told us that they only were interested in the large studio downstairs, they were happy to collect rent on the small spaces upstairs) has just given me my 30 day notice to vacate my space. If anybody in the Burbank area has a spare room (under 200sf) that they would consider leasing out, let me know. Thanks!
That story is an old one and is the main reason why I bought my own building for a studio. You may have good relations with a landlord but it comes a time they will sell and the new one is not so good. I had it happen to me 3 times in 5 years. I got so mad I bought my own place.
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
Check with one of the local government agencies... even with a 'tenant at will' situation it can take longer than 30 days to get evicted.
I agree with Fletcher. IIRC California law requires a 60-day notice. Not much help, but it may buy you some more time.

Good luck!
M
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear about that Steve...my attorney and I have had this conversation a couple of times, and he advises this very activity is the best reason NOT to lease, but to buy if at all possible...

Question, though....assuming you have made improvements for acoustical enhancement, will you be able to take them with you, regardless of the level of deconstruction needed to get back that which you bought and paid for?

This is just awful....you will be in our thoughts hoping for the best.

K
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Steve:

I feel for you. I really do. I've leased from a couple of real 'sweethearts' in Hollywood.

Ugh.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
Check with one of the local government agencies... even with a 'tenant at will' situation it can take longer than 30 days to get evicted. Obviously, keep looking around for a new space, but take that 30 days as a "suggestion" instead of a hard/firm "drop dead" date.

Sorry to hear about the struggle... best of luck with the search!!!

Fletcher might be right about this. Check the local rent board or consult a realestate lawyer (pro bono if possible) and find out what your rights are. In a commercial space, if your lease is expired I think they can get you out---but 30 days doesn't sound legal (I'm not a lawyer though). They may be banking on you not checking the law. It may turn out that you have 90 days...which would be better....

Good luck.
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Head

30 days is a bunch of bunk! No way can you make arrangements to leave in 30 days. It would take him months to get you evicted. Tell him you need 90 or to $%CK OFF!!! Eviction cound take 3-6 months and if you cry the blues to the judge, even longer.

Give this message to your landlord from me::: dfegad dfegad dfegad
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

You might also indicate to your landlord that a relocation fee would smooth the transition.

-R
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I agree with RKrizman...
I know that in CA, if you are forced out of your building for re-construction, they are required to give you some sort of relocation fee (I currently have some friends dealing with that).
As much as it sucks, it may be appropriate to get in touch with a lawyer and discuss your options.

Also, I'll keep an eye out for anything in the East S.F. Valley, and post it here...

Best of luck,
CJ
Old 17th July 2005
Not that is is much help.. but I decided to go with 'moveable' accoustic treatment (Real Traps) to tame my new live area, so that if things went belly up where I am located now.. I could use em to set up somewhere else..
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Negotiate

I'm a commercial landlord, and in all States that I've owned properties, it is expensive (legal bills and possible pitfalls in court) and time consuming to evict a tenant who is in good standing and has been paying rent etc.

It always makes best business sense for the landlord (and tenant) to sit down and negotiate a fair program that will work for both parties.

Perhaps the landlord has other space available?

Good Luck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search