The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with Filter Effect!?!?
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Addict

Help with Filter Effect!?!?

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some suggestions as to how I might achieve the following. I have some live drums recorded across multiple tracks in Protools. In the second verse I want to drop the drums out and have them creep back in with a filter effect that takes 8 bars to 'morph' the drums back to their original unprocessed sound. How could I achieve this?

I also have Logic Audio if that helps i.e importing into Logic to utilise Logic Plugins.

The thing I am after has become very popular in dance music over the last few years - often it is put across the whole mix in a breakdown section to create that dull clubby sound which then brightens up as the filter opens up - that is the kind of thing I am after (but just on the drums).

Any suggestions of how I do this in tempo for 8 bars across multiple tracks? Bouncing to 2 tracks is also a possiblity if necessary to achieve this (or creating a stereo buss I guess too).

Thanks heaps! Looking forward to hearing some ideas and plug in suggestions.

Everglass
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Addict

To be frank: I think you should have the balls to experiment yourself on this one.
What plugin? Get out the filters you have and listen what you like.
Of course don't use multiple filters across eight trax or so: you've said it yourself already.
But no need to bounce down the drums. Route 'em to a buss (or Aux track in Logic) and insert your filter plug there. Then just turn that cutoff knob, record the automation pass, tweak a little. Experiment, my friend. Do it YOUR way!

Cheers and good luck,

Julian
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Nut

try cupping your ears with your hands and then slowly letting them open up to hear more.... then record the output from your brain.. organic lpf

sorry for the wisecrack... couldnt resist
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Nut

root drums to aux, insert McDSP filter bank .automate lowpass and set resonance to taste. select filter- lowpass in the automation- view window and draw a line with the pencil tool. your done

thats the easiest way, other plugz work more versatile (soundtoys filter freak for example)
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Addict

Thanks for the info..... I know it's something I need to try for myself, but I have never had a need to use anything like that.

Thanks for the responses..... I've never automated plugs so I thank you.

Last edited by everglass; 17th July 2005 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: grammer
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

You can also use an outboard filter (Mutator etc) Most times, I prefer their sounds over plugs.
But if you use Plugins, take a dedicated Filter (Filterfreak, GRM Tools, Logics Autofilter and there are 100 more)
they sound fatter then just a regular Lowpassfilter in an EQ.
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Maniac

sherman filterbank comes to mind if you want to it analog - it is the weirdest filter i have ever heard, and is fully midi controllable. but you need two of those for a stereo buss.

manufactor:
http://www.sherman.be/
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

I would bounce the drums to stereo, or even to mono. Filter sweep works better (or, more obvious to hear) with drums when the track is really compressed, or little saturated, and it is way easier to do it with mono, or stereo tracks.

Also, you could mix a little bit of white noise in with the kit to make the filter resonance more obvious during the sweep.

If you are looking for an extra trippy effects during the filter sweep, try a dottted eighth note delay with automated aux send from this filtered drums. It can bring some fun to the track.

I think McDSP filterbanks sound great, but I don't think they would do any of the craziness you get with Sherman, or MS-20.

Good luck!
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Addict

There are a couple of ways to achieve this. First of all there are analog filterbanks like mentioned before by other slutties. I´d highly recommend Mutronics Mutator for Lowpass Filter effects. It gives you nice round bass - actually it even creates a bass out of a signal that doesn´t have a reasonable amount of bass frequencies.

Then there is of course the Sherman Filterbank, which is more versatile than the Mutator, but not as FAT, and the Akai MFC 42, which is also very versatile and gives you mono and stereo filters in one unit.

Then there are two plugins, which I use regularly to achieve such effects as you mentioned : Sound Toys Filter Freak and McDSP Filterbank.

Both are not sounding as good as the analog counterparts, but in a mix they can get really close. Filter Freak lets you mangle those frequencies in 1001 ways with a very good UI. It even has some nice envelope modulation, which is sort of a small cutoff-frequency sequencer. If you can´t get there with Filter Freak, you´ll never get there, because that plug has so much to offer.

McDsp Filterbank has naturally more of an eq approach (well, it is an eq...), but you can get nice results with that as well. Simply choose one of the filters or the algorithm with Hi- and Lowpass and automate the cutoff freqs. Check out different slopes and boost the q-factor a little. I use Filterbank whenever I need a simple frequency sweep - nothing too complicated.

I hope that helps ! Please come back to me, if you need further info.

Regards,
Bill
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Nut

BTW- the Akai outboard filter is da bomb for drums. The phaser and the distortion in it are great too when used with subtlety.
If you're going to do it withing logic, try using the autofilter plug. Remove all the lfo stuff from the chain and drive the input knob. I've also found that squishing with a comp post filter yields the best sound.
You may also want to try following the chain with a HPF at the very end of the sweep to creat, in essence, a band pass filter and bring it down really quickly at the last moment to bring all the body back to the "dry" drum sound when the sweep is done. I've found it creates even more impact then just opening up the LPF.
Have fun! heh
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by handojin
try cupping your ears with your hands and then slowly letting them open up to hear more.... then record the output from your brain.. organic lpf

sorry for the wisecrack... couldnt resist
That was Good! In my radio broadcasting class, we have a few macs with the little round speakers, and all day, the kids sit there cupping and un-cupping them, and they're amazed by it. Then I play a song in soundtrack (ick!) and i add a lowpass and they're like, wow! How'd you do that?!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search