The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Used Analog Mixing Desk.. $6500?
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Nut

Best Used Analog Mixing Desk.. $6500?

What would be your choice for the best analog mixing desk for summing DAW tracks and mixing rock, for about 6500 used?
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

used neotek elan

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Guru

Isn't there a Neotek Series III on the for sale for like $4500?
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

A Neotek Series III may have certain "charms", but they are a PITA to keep operational unless you are/know a tech.

Bri
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

If u can hunt a sony mxp3036 , they usually go for $8500 used...
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

d&r consoles can be found for this price.
I have a d&r orion and really love it.
cleaner can't be found for the price.
Old 18th July 2005

It depends on your needs and what other gear you own... How many channels do you need... What's more important to you, features or sound? How much of a budget do you have for maintanence, etc.... Amek Big's can give you the most flexibility and can sound great if you modify the center section ($1000 upgrade).
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'm actually looking for a D&R Orion. Let me know if anyone has a lead on one. I have large new mix room and I just want a nice clean console, I love Midas and have used my Venice quite successfully and I may jump to a Verona.. the Mackie Onyx Large Format mixers are also really clean and sound quite good.. But as Brian Roth has been telling me, there is an advantage to using a console that was intended for recording rather then SR.

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Addict

The soundcraft 6000 is a good console for that price.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

save your money and buy a neve sidecar!!!
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

If you're in a hurry, just go to Blevins and see what the best board he has for $650 and get that one.

later,
m
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

if you can find a yamaha pm-2000 in good shape that may be an option as well. they are really good sounding boards.
joshua
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Love my Neotek Series II. I recapped it (inspecting and resoldering all questionable connections on each card--there were a few), fixed some intermittent connections, fixed some stuff earlier "techs" (and I use that term loosely) had done, added XLR inputs for each channel on the back, and made a solid oak monitor shelf for it. All of the line/mic channel strips and master sections have been upgraded with Burr-Brown ICs. The power supply had been upgraded by Mike at Sytek before I bought the board.

Yes, owning an older board is like owning an older sports car as far as upkeep is concerned, but once you get them back up to speed they go a long time without problems. The cool thing about the Series II is that it's dead easy to work on and the signal path is clean and straightforward.

Some of the parts are no longer available (like the EQ pots), but I've found that a good cleaning and relubing brings them back alive. I do have a pretty good stock of new EQ pots in case I ever need to replace one.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

It seems like Neotek, Trident or an MCI might have the mojo you're looking for.
Modify-service-repeate...
There are some Sphere, Quad Eight and Electrodyne boards floating around, too, though.

Seamus
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianroth
A Neotek Series III may have certain "charms", but they are a PITA to keep operational unless you are/know a tech.

Bri
Why so? Can you expand on this?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search