The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I get this '73 p bass for recording?
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Should I get this '73 p bass for recording?

Any advice appreciated. Money is tight here...
In your experience, if I record with a '73 p bass that I've found to sound amazing at the store, will it make a big difference over my average ibanez I I have at home (atk 300 - a musicman stingray copy, sounds pretty damn good, but very different from a fender passive design). Perhaps in a recording situation, and by the time it gets through someone's car speakers, it won't make that much of a difference? Basically, will that deep vintage sound I'm hearing live make it through to the recording and be audible to the listener, make a big difference in the vibe of the low end?

I was first going to get a mexican p bass, went to sam ash and tried every one they had. They sounded okay.
I just went to a local bass center and tried out (only p basses): 2 early 62 reissues, a real 1966 refin, a 73 and a 74. The 74 was the only one that had a maple neck, all the others rosewood. I immediately took the two 62 ri's out of the running, sounded great until I plugged in the older ones.

After everything the '74 sounded deep, beautiful, amazing. Lots of that maple board 'crack', perhaps this would be too much 'high's' in a recording even - would it disrupt the mix?(of course I could roll them off, but part of the reason I liked it more than the rosewood necks was because of that)

Unfortunately the guy is refusing to give me a 1 day approval. I wish I had a little while to record over some songs, see how it sits in a mix, compare it to my other bass. Once I walk out the door, it's almost 2 grand out the window. I just really don't know how much it will make a difference in my recording. I know it would be much more of a joy to play than my Ibanez, but I'm not playing bass in a band, just recording it myself. Perhaps just get a mexican? Any advice from your experience? I could really use the money to help produce my cd (mixing and mastering engineers), but I would have the bass forever.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

I got my first maple 'board P-Bass after exclusively playing on rosewood 'board guitars and basses for years. I like it. I do put flatwounds on most of the time for tracking.

I know most folk on this forum prefer Music Man basses, but I personally still prefer an old "P". Someday, someone will probably record a great, classic sounding tune using a P-Bass!
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Nut

get it!
its never a waste of money to buy a good vintage instrument.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo.fire
get it!
its never a waste of money to buy a good vintage instrument.
Wow, the anything old is vintage movement must really be kicking in. The mid seventies were the low point for fender qc, and the pbass necks were most like baseball bats.

On the other hand, if it sounds and plays right for you, then buy it. It might record better, it might not. It might inspire you too.
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by covert
Wow, the anything old is vintage movement must really be kicking in. The mid seventies were the low point for fender qc, and the pbass necks were most like baseball bats.

On the other hand, if it sounds and plays right for you, then buy it. It might record better, it might not. It might inspire you too.
thats what I said, a "GOOD" vintage instrument.
if its a good player it will keep his value. and to be honest, if its not so good you will allways find somebody who thinks its good. or sell it on ebay

I use a 1980 squire Pbass, which is great. I would never sell it

yesterday I witnessed a young player thinking about his PRS- purchase after he played a track using my "vintage"1960 strat with the same amp setting (rectifire)

I have some clients who book my place because of my old guitars and synths

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search