The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
NOS Tubes = More Usable Avalon 737??
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

NOS Tubes = More Usable Avalon 737??

I share a studio with a friend. Most of the gear is mine, but he has a few pieces in there too. He has 2 Avalon 737's.

I use my Chandler TG-2 S.E. for mostly everything, but I was wondering if getting some NOS tubes for the avalons might improve the sound and usability.

Has anybody done this? What tubes would you recommend?

Thanks Slutz!

ELI
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Addict

Haven't done that with this particular unit, but generally, for most if not all audio circuits, premium NOS tunes will DRASTICALLY outperform "new junk" tubes- (by which I mean most all tubes made since the mid 70's)

(The above true for all hi-fi applications, for transparency, etc.- BUT for some applications involving overdrive it can be more circuit-specific, and modern tubes might be in the running, in my experience)
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I don't know about the Avalon 737, but I did change the Sovteks of my Millennia STT1 to Telefunken used tubes. I took the advice of John LaGrou at Millennia and opted for used (but fully tested) Telefunken tubes (rather than NOS) and the difference compared to the original tubes was huge. This is part of what he said:
"The good news about used Tele's is that they are probably the best designed, longest lived audio tube ever made. Tele's have been known to run 50,000 hours and more, where other tubes are generally rated 5,000 to 10,000 hours."

Before changing tubes I would contact Avalon though, I believe they give very good service, and they can probably give the best advice.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

http://www.audiotubes.com/
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/

I've dealt with both companies. Very knowledgable, good tube sources and inventories, straight shooters.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!

If anybody has done this on a 737, please let me know!

I will look into those two tube dealers.

thumbsup
Old 18th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray
http://www.audiotubes.com/
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/

I've dealt with both companies. Very knowledgable, good tube sources and inventories, straight shooters.
I can vouch for the two above mentioned sellers. Brent at Audio Tubes is a good guy.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

It looks like this gets expensive fast! Hmmm. Mullard seems to be the most popular, but woah! Those are dough! These guys seem to know there stuff. I'm sure they can advise on some tubes that would be more affordable and still rock.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I replaced my tubes for a unviersal audio preamp with telefunken 12Ax7 and GE 5 star 6072... I like the sound a lot more. I made a test MP3 I can send you if you want. I also tested the mullard.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace
I replaced my tubes for a unviersal audio preamp with telefunken 12Ax7 and GE 5 star 6072... I like the sound a lot more. I made a test MP3 I can send you if you want. I also tested the mullard.

Hey Wallace,

It would be great to hear some mp3's to get some idea of the difference.
Old 19th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace
Glad it made a difference. Did you ever record a before and after for comparasin? Just curious if it made a big difference.
Old 19th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELI-173
It looks like this gets expensive fast! Hmmm. Mullard seems to be the most popular, but woah! Those are dough! These guys seem to know there stuff. I'm sure they can advise on some tubes that would be more affordable and still rock.
NOS Mullards are a **** load of cash. Old Mullards and Telefunkens have a rated life of around 50,000 hours and can go longer so they will last a long time compared to maybe the 5,000 hour life of Russian/Chinese tubes. You could buy used/tested Mullards or Telefunken 12AX7's for about $35 ea and they will last a long time.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Whatever, I guess it's not that big a deal to post this, my voice just sound silly in this test. I compared the stock 12AX7 from the Universal Audio 2-610 to the Telefunken Warm plate and the Mullard CV4004. I used Soundelux Ifet 7, which is kind of colored and dark to begin with. Take this for what it's worth. Some of the difference is just a vibe that I feel better about the unit now. I don't know if that makes any sense. The Tele was $75 and the mullard was $85. I ended up getting the Telefunken.

Oh, I've got a comparison of the GE 5 stars vs. the stock Ge JAN tubes, but not here. The 5 stars have more of a vintage vibe I think.
Attached Files

UA_tube_test.mp3 (3.04 MB, 1544 views)

Old 30th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quite interesting thread.

Did anybody improved 737 sound by replacing Sovtek 6922 tubes? Did anybody contact avalon?
Old 23rd February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan

Did anybody improved 737 sound by replacing Sovtek 6922 tubes? Did anybody contact avalon?
audio clips
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/58184-preamp-comparison-clips.html

Old 25th August 2010
Lives for gear

you must try, siemens or Telefunken or Mullard !!!!

The Best Sounding 6DJ8=ECC88 ever made are:
------------------------------------------
6DJ8 Siemens West Germany 1960's (nothing beats this tube; accurate, open, focused, detailed, airy, tight bass)
6DJ8 Amperex Bugle Boy Holland "D" getter 1950's (superbly musical 6DJ8, nice articulate bass, 3D sound)
6DJ8 Telefunken West Germany 1960's (a little bass shy, but superbly smooth and listenable long term)
6DJ8 Amperex Bugle Boy Holland 1960's
6DJ8 Amperex Holland 1960's and Amperex Holland Globe Logo late 1960's - mid 1970's (some are branded Philips Miniwatt)
6DJ8 Mullard 1960's (smooth, good bass, the older versions are the best)
6DJ8 Mullard 1960's (either branded Mullard or Philips or Amperex Great Britain)
6DJ8 Sylvania late 1960's - mid 1970's (excellent sound for the money, best value)
6DJ8 GE USA 1960's - 1970's (good value)
Old 25th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post

I did contact Avalon one year ago by fax (they don’t accept public email). They strongly recommended their own four matched 6922 tubes.
Old 27th August 2010
Here for the gear

As each of the tubes performs a different function and don't need to be matched, you could try inserting the super expensive tube in the area that you are most interested in improving...ie the compressor...or whatever. Then if you are really seeing the difference you could do othere. It is a simple operation to replace the tubes. Don't be fearful...just have it switched off!!!! and as all the other wizards on here sa...trust your ears.
Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

My son has an Avalon and sounds great. And uses the tubes it came with. Pairs ridiculously well with a U87AI. Even in a crap room.

But use NOS tubes in all my tube gear.

John

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search