The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Luwig Drums
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Luwig Drums

Someone just gave me three toms and a kick + hardware for a ludwig kit.

does anyone here kniow...

a good way to find out when they were made?
whether it is better to leave the old cracked wrap on or refinish it?
a good place to have them refinished in the s. cal area.

thanks

yeah i know this is really studio gear, but im going to use them in my studio. also, ive had no luck finding a drum bbs. everyone here has been so cool too.
Old 17th July 2005
Moderator emeritus

The drums should have serial numbers on them, and if nothing else, Ludwig should be able to give you a year of manufacture.

Oh wait - Google is a wonderful thing; here you go.

http://www.vintagedrum.com/ludwig_serials.htm has a list of serial numbers and manufacturing dates for 1960's drums.

As far as forums, I'd suggest that you look at http://www.drumcenterforum.com for a start, then go here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Drum+Forum

Good luck!
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Guru

Check out the above. The badges and possibly the lugs you can get a general idea of the age.

If hte wrapped finish is bad a re-fin to a stained finish will open up the sound.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

thanks for the response. i found a cool site:

jamminsam.com

that sells wraps and videos on how to do them.

thanks

thanks for the serials site too!!!!
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

I had a Ludwig Hollywood kit from October of 1967, these when I was a kid.

I had them for many years, recorded and gigged with them.

They were THE drum kit to have in the 60's/70's, but they were never really great drums; mine eventually developed warps and the lugs actually began to cave into the shells. Also, the surface where the heads sat were never properly finished (or round) and split heads were a common malady. I think much of this was due to Ludwig's rush to produce drums as Ringo's endorsement made them so popular.

The current kit I have, a maple Gretsch kit from the early 90's, is superior in every way!!

However, the Ludwig's do have a classic sound and yours may be fine and if they're free, enjoy.

Ed
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Before you rewrap them, strip them or basically do anything to them, give a little more description on what you've got. Color of the wrap, badge shape, color, shell description, etc. You could have a cool set that shouldn't be messed with. Lemme know...I know a fair amount about vintage kits.
later,
m

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search