The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Convolution Reverb!!!! Which One?
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

Convolution Reverb!!!! Which One?

I'm having trouble deciding between:

Waves IR-1
Altiverb
TL-Space

They all sound good and are affordable.

The problem I'm having is that in the demo modes, these plugins don't give you all the Impulse Response files.

To me it's all about the selection of response files. But I can't hear most of them.

Who has the most, best?

Thanks
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

I bought the Waves IR-1 mainly on the strength of their impulses, also the fact that you have a lot of "normal" reverb controls over the sound as well.

Everyone raves abouut Altiverb as well, but I cannot compare, sorry.

I can tell you that the IR-1 is just a fantastic piece of software that sounds so freakin' good, you'll wonder why you didn't buy it sooner. I used the freeware SIR for a while with the impulses from the Noise Vault and others, and all I can tell you is that IR-1's impulses are not even in the same ballpark, and the sound is amazing compared to SIR.

But then again, SIR is free, IR-1 is US$600...I chose the IR-1!!!

Obviously, YMMV...
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

TL-Space for me... I'm done.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

And here's one vote for Altiverb. Aren't we a lot of help...

John
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno
And here's one vote for Altiverb. Aren't we a lot of help...

John
heh heh heh

So there you have it.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

I love the Ir-1 more than just about any reverb, but you should also check out wizooverb. An amazing convolution/regular verb hybrid.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

For plug verb,I use Altiverb..some cool weird I/R's
Although I'm not 100% convinced yet..
I've A/B'd some of the The real deals vs. impulses and the I/R's are a little smaller/veiled to some of the the real boxes..
but still useful ..especially busting a seperate verb stem OTB ...
opens the overall depth a bit. .
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicemaster1500
I love the Ir-1 more than just about any reverb, but you should also check out wizooverb. An amazing convolution/regular verb hybrid.
JM1500
Does the wizoo do rtas?
Old 16th July 2005
M2E
Lives for gear

I haven't tried all of them but, I have to say the Space Designer is pretty damn good. You can use it with Logic and Pro Tools if you have the HTDM auth plugin on your emagic key. I lucked up and bought it before they stop selling it and it is really great!!!!

M2E
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

TLSpace.

Major Tom
ruudman
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Altiverb here...v.5 great, Sometimes reach for Space Designer, for a change.....rarely disappionted with both......
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have SD in Logic, but not the HTDM auth.
Space reads the SD library, though.

ruudman
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

this sounds interesting. at least the mp3s.
i am on mac so i cannot try at the moment but would like to hear your opinions.
http://www.inuamusic.com/sonicflavou...ang=en&p_id=21
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Addict

TL Space is perfect. I found the Waves to sound a tiny bit on the metallic side. But maybe that were just the wrong impulses...?

Regards,
Bill
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

I should also point out that I use HD Accel, and I believe TL-Space is the only reverb that takes advantage of the Accel chipset.

On other platforms ymmv...

Rob
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

My biggest problem with Altiverb is that the demo only gives you a few presets and every 5 seconds it plays the most annoying tone.

It's loud enuff to blow my fuses.

At least TL Space and Waves gives you 14 days to actually use it.

But again, they only give you a handful of presets.

The Waves also has the Lex 480.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

I used to be a big Waves fan, and then over the last few years I began to feel that they had lost their edge. I still used a few of their plugs occasionally, but to be honest, I felt that they have been passed by the competition...

That is until they released the IR-1...as I mentioned in my earlier post, this thing is first class all the way, and has really re-established Waves as a player in this market.

I also have some outboard Lexi reverb, the UAD-1 EMT140 plate emulation, the TC Powercore Classic Verb, and they all have their uses. I have been using the IR-1 almost exclusively on vocals since I got it however if that tells you anything!
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Altiverb here. Use it daily on an HD3 Accel system. V5 is great!
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Addict

Kenny - Go with IR-1 if you like to tweak verbs. The 480L impulses are fantastic, especially the bombastic plates. The only thing I felt was lacking with IR-1 was a good EMT 140 sample, so we bought an hour at a studio that had one and did our own.

Anyone want to buy a stack of PCM 80's and 90's?

Z
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
so we bought an hour at a studio that had one and did our own.
Z

share the wealth

share the wealth

share the wealth

heh heh share the wealth

Only Joking
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Waves also has the Lex 480
I am using Altiverb 5 and TL Space. Altiverb finally went over to Ilok so now I can go to other rooms and still have my Altiverb. Altiverb also has the entire Lex 480 sampled and is VERY complete. They did a really great job of capturing a bunch of different variations. Also there are a number of great IR's including the Roland R-880 and the Lex 960, and my all time favorite the EMT-250. Altiverb has the Cello rooms and three of the echo chambers. These alone are worth the price of admission. They are great. Plus since it looks like Cello might not be re-opening it might be the last chance to get the "Flavor" of those classic rooms.

TL Space has some great IR's also. They have a IR' of one of the hybrid United Western/Cello plates that is fantastic. It sounds better to me than the Altiverb Wendy Carlos plate. Also it will import all the IR's from Altiverb-daw sight the Noise-Vault site so that will give you a huge selection also.

And don't forget that you can sample your own with Altiverb. I have sampled a number of spaces that I love and also I have heard from a bunch of people that they always sample the rooms they are working in and love so they can have that flavor when they are mixing at home.

Check out this link to Audioease: http://audioease.com/IR/index.html
That will give you a good overview of what they have and that doesn't include the other sites.

Either way your in great shape with IR's. But at this moment Altiverb might be a little ahead of the game. They did have a 3 year head start though.......

Good luck,
Michael Greene
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

I tried many of the convolution reverbs (Waves, TL Space, Altiverb) plus many others (Sony Oxfrd Reverb, etc.). I chose Altiverb. Since then Altiverb has been upgraded to ver. 5 which is even better.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

I own all three and I would say IR-1 is the clear winner I like TL Space because I cn use a TDM chip but it's stops PR from playback (Error -6042) when you switch presets on the fly which is very annoying.
Old 16th July 2005
Quote:
Kenny - Go with IR-1 if you like to tweak verbs. The 480L impulses are fantastic, especially the bombastic plates. The only thing I felt was lacking with IR-1 was a good EMT 140 sample, so we bought an hour at a studio that had one and did our own.

Anyone want to buy a stack of PCM 80's and 90's?

Z
interesting... if you can email me that to me, i'll shoot you back some EMT 140 samples as well

dharmaone at gmail dot com
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Tascam Gigapulse has a lot of very cool features, like being able to move the source around inside the room, mic modeling etc... and the impulses sound great. I got it with Gigastudio 3 and I'm very pleased. I've also used IR1 but not side by side, it was pretty sweet as well.

http://www.tascam.com/Products/GigaPulse.html

Old 17th July 2005
Gear Head

IR1 and TL Space for me.

IR1 is just a little bit easier to work with, for me. I also like the sound
of IR1 a bit better, and TL Space has some issues with changing
presets, and when you copy plugs to other tracks, ect. Just little
annoying things it does, that I don't want to have to remember, when
I am in a groove.

Altiverb gets rave reviews, and I have v4, but it sucks to me. I don't
use it at all. I forget that I have it.

TL Space is the only one that runs off of DSP chips, so after I use 2 IR1's,
then I reace for TL.

I also love the new WizooVerb W2. It sounds so clear, and open. Wonderful
for vocals. I actually downloaded the demo, and made IR's, which I have been
using in IR1 and TL Space.

My outboard Sony Units were turned on today, but when I finished the mix,
None of them made it on the record...
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only thing I felt was lacking with IR-1 was a good EMT 140 sample, so we bought an hour at a studio that had one and did our own.
I think Waves have added some 140 impulses to their library, over at acoustics.net.

To me the Ir-1 and convolution in general really shines with real rooms and venues, though. The early reflections is like mmmm.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

fwiw, i just converted some ir's to wav's and did an informal listening test between ir1, tl space, space designer and altiverb impulses. everything was loaded into ir1 and voxengo pristine space. all the ir's were comparable emt plates/halls, lex 480l and sampled rooms (cello/westlake)...

i quickly found that i didn't like the space designer ir's very much. they sounded dark and filtered. i thought the ir1 impulses sounded very good - big and 3d. nice interface and tweakability too. the altiverb ir's were a close second but was a little flatter/2d sounding. tl space ir's sounded a tad bit thin by comparison to the other two, imo.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

And I thought Space Designer sounded half decent when using 3 different IR's on different aux busses. Guess I'll have to check out IR-1 and Altiverb.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Guru

I decided to with the Waves IR-1. I'm really happy with the way it sounds and I actually prefer it not being TDM. TL Space uses 2 Accel chips per reverb. 2 or 3 reverbs and I need to buy another card. At $3,500 it's not worth it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

And please remember. These decisions are personal preferences. Trust your own ears. Not mine.

Peace.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search