The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Convolution Reverb!!!! Which One?
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Produceher
I decided to with the Waves IR-1. I'm really happy with the way it sounds and I actually prefer it not being TDM.
good choice. i was surprised that i actually chose ir1 more than altiverb's impulses...

btw, SDTwoWav did a great job of converting ir's for my little test. here's the link in case anyone's interested: http://www.railjonrogut.com/sdTwoWav.htm (make sure you uncheck "flip bytes").
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

try revibe also, more tweekability
i had ir-1, got rid of it, cpu hog, issues w htdm
but i'm only using a g4 mdd 1.25
i also have tl space, but generally
i just use one of the plates, incredible
revibe is a really good reverb
i believe it uses some sort of convolution technology, too
though i may be wrong........i often am
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish11
try revibe also, more tweekability
i had ir-1, got rid of it, cpu hog, issues w htdm
but i'm only using a g4 mdd 1.25
i also have tl space, but generally
i just use one of the plates, incredible
revibe is a really good reverb
i believe it uses some sort of convolution technology, too
though i may be wrong........i often am
just googled "revibe" and it appears that it's protools only :(

thanks for the heads up, though...
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

got them all... altiverb comes with my favorite preset impulses... TL is second.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

I was leaning towards TL Space but when Waves released their Lexi 480 and EMT 140 impulses recently I went with IR-1. Sounds great and I love being able to tweak so many parameters.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
I decided to with the Waves IR-1. I'm really happy with the way it sounds and I actually prefer it not being TDM. TL Space uses 2 Accel chips per reverb. 2 or 3 reverbs and I need to buy another card. At $3,500 it's not worth it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

And please remember. These decisions are personal preferences. Trust your own ears. Not mine.

Peace.
I recently decided on the same thing. What put me over the top is ths thing right here: http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=1622

It will allow mye to run 6 IR-1's. The APA44-M to me was a blessing come true. I'm ordering one this week.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskay
I recently decided on the same thing. What put me over the top is ths thing right here: http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=1622

It will allow mye to run 6 IR-1's. The APA44-M to me was a blessing come true. I'm ordering one this week.
I almost bought that thing too. It comes with IR Light unfortunately. I would have went with it if it came with the Full version.

I usually only use 2 or 3 reverbs and my G5 is pretty good so far.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Head

Produceher, as i remember you own a lexi300, right?
How does it compare vs Waves IR ?
I'm doing only electronic music and have yet to decide which verb suits better to my tasks
Oh and greets to all , i'm new here.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by esiclene
I'm doing only electronic music and have yet to decide which verb suits better to my tasks
Not to hijack Produceher's response, I also have a Lexi 300 - the last outboard reverb left in my rack - but while it does that rich, dark Lexi thing really well, it is not capable of emulating realistic spaces like a convolution reverb. I may just make impulse responses of my favorite L300 patches and dump the thing on eBay!
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson
Not to hijack Produceher's response, I also have a Lexi 300 - the last outboard reverb left in my rack - but while it does that rich, dark Lexi thing really well, it is not capable of emulating realistic spaces like a convolution reverb. I may just make impulse responses of my favorite L300 patches and dump the thing on eBay!
Thanks Hud.
I love 'that' dark verb and often find that was difficult to get it with convolution..
Why don't you do IRs and then compare them with the real thing? Cause i know only TC verbs are easy to clone.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Head

Kenny did you even try SIR ? I would be interested in your thoughts .

I have been using it very successfully IMO , and there are a ton of impulses at Noisevault

Later
Buzz

Besides it;s free and they just upgraded it .
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

So are the Waves 480 IR's that much better than the 480/960 ones at Noisevault?

I wonder if that means we'll have to impluse our 960 after all. I've been too lazy to make my own and compare.

I use TL Space. The glitching/delay issues with IR-1 was too much of a pain for me. Have they fixed that by now?
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante
So are the Waves 480 IR's that much better than the 480/960 ones at Noisevault?
Yes they're much better (i compared them). They're much fuller.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Is the TL space the only Convolution reverb where you are able to import other brands IR's ?

And what about Revibe ?
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes they're much better (i compared them). They're much fuller.
Thanks... I guess I'll have to get to making my own then with the 960.

Honestly I should have compared earlier.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
Kenny - Go with IR-1 if you like to tweak verbs. The only thing I felt was lacking with IR-1 was a good EMT 140 sample, so we bought an hour at a studio that had one and did our own.
so how did it compare to the original?

just QCloned a pultec tonight and after matching gains the clone seemed very close.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I copied the IRs of the TLSpace at the studio ( Mac and HDs ) and tried to load them in the Waves IR in my PC at home and it worked !!
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by espasonico
I copied the IRs of the TLSpace at the studio ( Mac and HDs ) and tried to load them in the Waves IR in my PC at home and it worked !!

Please explain !!!!!!

I wanna do that too . with my demo expired TL space , and a few Altiverb IR's and maybe a few of the Revibe .
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

If you are talking about convolution reverbs , you cant forget on Wizoo W2 and W5 .
Wizoo W2 and W5 are bringing gigant step at convolution reverbs .
They are absolutely fantastic .
Check it !!
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes. I do still own my Lex 300.

First of all, I never liked it on drums. Just Vocals with a Bright Hall setting. (I think)

I stopped using it when I bought my KSP-8. It's better on drums and just about equal on Vocals.

With the Waves IR-1 I was able to match or better the vocal preset using the 480 patches. I haven't A/Bed it against the Lex yet. Just the KSP. I try it tommorrow and report back. Maybe post some mp3s.

But Drums are another story. The KSP is cleary better for drums (for me) than any Lex preset. And the Waves IR-1 is head and shoulders above both. It sounds more like a real room.

I prefer to record drums in a big room and use no reverb. But I can't always do that. The Convolution reverbs IMHO are the next best thing.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebuzz
Kenny did you even try SIR ? I would be interested in your thoughts .

I have been using it very successfully IMO , and there are a ton of impulses at Noisevault

Later
Buzz

Besides it;s free and they just upgraded it .
It's free but it's VST. I have no way of using it with Pro Tools. Short of using that VST Wrapper thingy.

If it's working for you, that's all that really matters.

Although I do believe that the Waves IR-1 sounded sonically better IMHO than the TLSpace. YMMV
Old 28th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It's free but it's VST. I have no way of using it with Pro Tools. Short of using that VST Wrapper thingy.

If it's working for you, that's all that really matters.

Although I do believe that the Waves IR-1 sounded sonically better IMHO than the TLSpace. YMMV
Just so you know the vst wrapper works really well...of course then you only have rtas not tdm or htdm.

Chris
Old 28th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
My biggest problem with Altiverb is that the demo only gives you a few presets and every 5 seconds it plays the most annoying tone.

It's loud enuff to blow my fuses.
I agree, but it was the one that made drums actually sound better, not just reverby.
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

hey guys, i know this thread is about a year old but i've seen most of the guys in this thread still around so hopefully i'l get a few responses. I used to have IR-1 when i was back on a pc with cubase sx. Loved it!

I had an instructor wanting the files for IR-1 so he could load the convolutions into his altiverb. I never got back to him as far as whether it worked or not.
I'm asking because i was loving the sony reverbs...but not the sony prices

And I need more tracks in protools anyways along with with the other goodies that the Musicians expansion pack for protools would get me, it comes with TLspace. So if I can get ahold of some of the ir-1 and altiverb convolutions, can i load them into tlspace and enjoy these "better sounding" ones compared to the ones that comes with tlspace?

It is the convolutions that seem to make the "sound" of these reverb plugins better or not right? so if you can get ahold of all of them you should be able to pick and choose.
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

my advice

dont screw around

buy Altiverb 5

the best convolution reverb plug I've used

great company, great support.

done and done.

Old 21st June 2006
Lives for gear

Not to add another one to the list, but I am absolutely loving MCDSP's Revolver...everything they do for that matter, but this verb is dope.
Old 21st June 2006
Gear Addict

Does anyone here know how the Waves APA thing works in a PT HD 7 setup ? How´s the latency issue dealt with ?

Thanks and regards,
Bill
Old 21st June 2006
Gear Addict

alti IMO
Old 21st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykeBack
So if I can get ahold of some of the ir-1 and altiverb convolutions, can i load them into tlspace and enjoy these "better sounding" ones compared to the ones that comes with tlspace?
Not with Altiverb IRs. (I don't know about the ir-1 format, but I doubt it).

What mixerguy said... thumbsup
Old 21st June 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio
I am using Altiverb 5 and TL Space.Michael Greene

Did Altiverb come up with a PC version yet?

My preferences in verbs for mastering are for natural color and depth enhancement if a verb is needed, and that's really not too often in mastering.

For mixing, it's another day, and I would like to add Altiverb to my choices, which include the TC VSS4, the Waves IR-1, the UAD-1, the Sony VSS-77 (rarely used, but still available).

BK

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search