The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AT2020 Vs. Rode NT1 for drum overheads? Condenser Microphones
Old 17th March 2009
Lives for gear

AT2020 Vs. Rode NT1 for drum overheads?

Hi all,

Now, there was a thread about these mics a while back, but it didn't specifically compare them as overheads and that's what I'm interested in.

I have a pair of original NT1's already. I have never had another pair of mics to compare them with but I am aware of the stick that they get for being harsh etc.

I've read a little about the 2020's and they seem to get good reviews and are commended for being one of the only budget condensers that doesn't have a harsh and hyped sound.

Would it be worth swapping?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 17th March 2009
Lives for gear

I have 2020. It's a bit (and I mean only a little bit) thin sounding, and there is roll-off on low end, but I really like it. I have Rode NT-1000, and I prefer Rode every time, especially last time I used Rode as a mono overhead, I was really surprised with the results. Sounded good in a bad bad sounding room.
Old 18th March 2009
Lives for gear

i will not use an nt1a on anything. could be a bit different to the original ones.nt1a'a are bery thin and harsh, i would rather sm57's on oh's any day of th week.

at 2020 is ok, i used to use it on hats.
Old 18th March 2009
Lives for gear

hmm...i didnt find the 2020 thin.
it might depend on pre used.
what i did find is , difficult to describe, more of a clean clinical neutral sound.
best thing is to try one.
for the buks its certainly a good deal imho.
mine was a daft low price.

heres an example on my vocs for a laugh i used a 2020 for testing out.
(wait for the player to load n listen to the song "i gotta get out". )
The Rocking Blood Brothers
Old 18th March 2009
Lives for gear

2020's are pancake flat from 80-20khz, so they are kind of clinical sounding, no particular character of their own. They can be a tad fizzy on the highs from cymbals. I have a few 3035's and prefer them for OH, but the 2020's are quite useable.
Old 18th March 2009
Lives for gear

Go for the 2020's. I got a pair and love them. Also a notable cheap alternative are the MCA SP1's. I use those all the time for percussion haven't used them for overheads yet though.
Old 19th March 2009
Lives for gear

So, judging from the comments here, I think that the 2020's might be preferable?

Judging by current eBay prices I rekon I could swap without any additional expenditure.

So I should go for it!
Old 19th March 2009
Lives for gear

Do it they're pretty versatile too. I have even used them on clean guitar cabs, percussion and background vocals with great results. Definitely a inexpensive workhorse.
Old 19th March 2009
Lives for gear

Obitheincredible
i find the 2020 pretty accurate n unflattering. do you ??
i think for the person needing that "mojo" they might not like it.
but for the person likeing "it tells it the way the way the source is"..
they prolly will like it.
i agree its a good deal.
Old 19th March 2009
Lives for gear

Exactly. Its the whole mirror mic. Its shows you like you are. The source will sound the same with this mic. Thats why with clean amps its sounds great. Exactly what I hear.
Old 19th March 2009
Lives for gear

And surely that's better than sizzly and hyped NT1's?

If I want sizzly and hyped I can get a £50 pair of Behringer or Samson SDC's can't I?

It seems that the NT1's are neither here nor there, as they say.
Old 19th March 2009
Lives for gear

Ya there is no harsh high end in the 2020's. I have heard people describe them as bright but I dont agree. They are honest.
Old 19th March 2009
Lives for gear

After going thru 6 pairs of ovrehead mics, I put up the ATM450's.... done!
Old 19th March 2009
Lives for gear

Sure, but more than three times then price.
Old 19th March 2009
Gear Nut

i d go for the nt1a

there is no doubt that the nt1a is not a great mic, still.... i think you can do great things with it, i think the quality of the player, the instrument, the room, and the mic position are far more important than the mic choice itself (im not saying mic choice is not important) i ve had one for more than 7 years and i ve used it many times. it has proven to be rock solid and reliable. it works for me as a outside bass drum mic and as a bottom snare mic.

sure its very bright and lacks of low midrange but cmon it costs 200 dollars.

by the other hands i know a few ppl who owns the 2020 and they seem to be unhappy. i wouldnt use nt1a s as overheads but i d use them as room mics.
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

I have a pair of NT-1's (not 'a') which I just can't seem to let go of.
In my not-so-high-end world they get used on room, kickout, snarebottom,.. Even worked wonders on an accordeon once heh

Herwig

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search