The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
vocal doubling on foo fighters album, how?
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

vocal doubling on foo fighters album, how?

Spent the last days listening to the great new foo fighters album. i really like the pretty obvious doubling on grohl´s voice. it does not sound as if it has been double tracked too much, the basic sound seems to be electronically doubled. does anyone know which fx unit has this signature sound or how i can build such a sound with a bunch of plugins (delaytimes/filtered/pitch offset/ etc/ etc)?
the coolest way would be an impulse file for convolution of course, anyone?

rock on!
pat
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

taking the time to DBL vox well (and a singer that can do it well) will give you that almost fake DBL sound. that's the point IMO. now a days of course with Autotune and Vocalign you can do "wonders".
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

To me, it sounds like carefully-sung dbl track vox which are panned to the middle, which is always a nice effect
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

Sing it twice

Yup, that´s what it sounds like. IMO you get the best voc doubling results by doubling the vocal . Sing it twice ! With a good singer it´ll also be much faster than fiddeling your fx machine until it sounds almost as if the singer sung it twice...makes no sense to me, does it ?
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Guru

I don't have any of their records, but it seems like all of the hits, at least, have doubled vox done my DG himself. I believe that doubled vox is a major part of their sound.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

hmmm, am I really the only one who thinks it does NOT sound like a real doubled performance? it does sound electronic to me, everything follows so precisely.....I am not saying this sound is the best doubling sound, I know most peolpe here favour the real doubling, but I just feel it is not and this gives the sound a certain character which I would like to add to my palette.....

Rock on!
Pat
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Addict

On colour and shape at least I know he did a normal double and then a lower octave double most of the time.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

The reason I think it's Dave Grohl is because it seems to be present on all of the records (the singles anyway). I don't believe that the same producer and mixer did each record, but DG was there for them all.

I've also read that he's very fast in the studio, so doubles probably just roll off the guy.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Nut

sung doubles...

I have chased that sound myself, and after meeting some of the folks involved, was told that Dave sings his doubles. He is a drummer, and sings with a VERY good sense of time, so it would make sense that he would be able to double himself EXTREMLY tight. Mere mortals can get close using Vocaligin and cutting the double and dragging it to match the main vocal. There are also lots of harmony vocal lines tucked in there tightly too... makes his voice big enough to compete with the wall o guitars and drums. Clever boy Dave is...
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Head

Yeah, he does actually do the doubling himself. I spoke to an engineer who worked on The Colour and the Shape about it, apparently Dave is a little bit insecure about his voice and generally likes to dbl it. Don't know why, his voice seems fine to me.
Old 17th July 2005
lwr
Gear Addict

you could maybe get a similar sound maybe with the micropitch patch on the eventides.
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys
hmmm, am I really the only one who thinks it does NOT sound like a real doubled performance? it does sound electronic to me, everything follows so precisely.....
I know of singers, who sing one take. Then the other WITHOUT hearing the first take. The end result is just astonishing, perfect, Idontknowwhattosay. What I mean is : if you have talent in the studio anything is possible.

Cheers,
Bill heh
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I have someone who does the same. It amazes me everytime!
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear
it used to be quite common and so singers got USED to doubling themselves...
it only takes a bit of practise.
most singers tend to hear the vocal a certain way and so can sing it again that same way, or awfully close, again.
Old 22nd November 2009
Here for the gear

Don't listen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster View Post
Yup, that´s what it sounds like. IMO you get the best voc doubling results by doubling the vocal . Sing it twice ! With a good singer it´ll also be much faster than fiddeling your fx machine until it sounds almost as if the singer sung it twice...makes no sense to me, does it ?
Yup, this seems to work the easiest and most natural. But when I do it, I don't let the vocalist listen to the original track while doubling. It seems to make them alter their voice to try and "match" the first track, and ends up sounding crappy.
For what it's worth.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

its an H3000.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Off the subject, but David Gilmour is another guy that was really fantastic at doubling his own voice.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

I spent a little time in Foo land.DG does things the old school way.This is pre=production demo period I was helping on..... pre-protools.Vocal mic in untreated controlroom....a TLM-147.
Attached Thumbnails
vocal doubling on foo fighters album, how?-dcp00775.jpg  
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.E.R.D View Post
apparently Dave is a little bit insecure about his voice and generally likes to dbl it. Don't know why, his voice seems fine to me.
I always thought that too , but his voice has improved over the years .
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Addict

A real double track done well sounds bloody amazing. Actually unbeatable with any plug / box.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

One thing i have noticed is this. It is often far easier to double track, precisely, singing live , no phones, to the monitors turned down. Psychologically, you just seem to stop trying to *chase yourself* and just sing it as you would, because you actually *know* the song. If that makes sense? it does to me and it's worked really well with a few other singers I've tried it with.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post
I spent a little time in Foo land.DG does things the old school way.This is pre=production demo period I was helping on..... pre-protools.Vocal mic in untreated controlroom....a TLM-147.
Is that Dave's studio in Virginia?
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yes ...thats his Virginia studio.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Yup, this seems to work the easiest and most natural. But when I do it, I don't let the vocalist listen to the original track while doubling. It seems to make them alter their voice to try and "match" the first track, and ends up sounding crappy.
For what it's worth.
I've noticed the same thing. If the tracks are sung naturally and are good takes, it can be easier to double a voice without playing the lead track back while the second is being recorded.

--
Wheels
Old 6th May 2010
Here for the gear

vocal doubling

Celemony melodyne is the software your looking for. Melodyne you can copy to a new track and it will automatically make it sound like two vocal lines if you select add random offset to the copied track. you can then copy it again and pan them left and right and set the two panned tracks back in the mix with the centre up front.

sounds wicked everytime. melodyne is awesome flawlessly corrects all your vocal errors in time and pitch as well.
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

I'm sure I remember reading in Kerrang! about 13 years ago how on Colour and the Shape he would record another vocal take with loud whisper. Almost like when you sing a screamy metal song quietly.
Old 8th May 2010
Here for the gear

Check it out for yourself!

If you want great vocals doubled or not melodyne is the beez kneez software it gives you so many options to perfect your vocal arrangements.

Do yourself a favour and check it out! If you want perfect doubles its the way to go
Old 8th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornwivans View Post
Celemony melodyne is the software your looking for. Melodyne you can copy to a new track and it will automatically make it sound like two vocal lines if you select add random offset to the copied track. you can then copy it again and pan them left and right and set the two panned tracks back in the mix with the centre up front.

sounds wicked everytime. melodyne is awesome flawlessly corrects all your vocal errors in time and pitch as well.
what is this melodyne you speak of? I've never heard of that before....please tell us more!

Seriously, much as I like melodyne for ease of use, try bypassing it once in a while and listen to the top end that's disappeared in the melodyne processing.

And as for doubles...what you suggest is fine if you don't have the option. It will ALWAYS sound better with a good singer and a tight, REAL double.

Next you'll be telling us about how PODs are great, they're just like real amps but it's so much quicker to get a good sound!
Old 8th May 2010
Here for the gear

mix on line says had the following in an article about Dave Grohl

"A Soundelux 251 .....was used on all of Grohl's vocals. We used it into a Martek preamp and a dbx 160XT compressor, which is kind of funny — $7,000 worth of gear into a $200 compressor. But it sounds great.”
Old 8th May 2010
Here for the gear

Monkey brain is obvoiusly the most cool producer ever so you better listen to him!

"But seroiusly"..... if your interested in software that can help and you haven't checked it out before melodyne is worth checkin out

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search