The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
vocal doubling on foo fighters album, how?
Old 8th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornwivans View Post
mix on line says had the following in an article about Dave Grohl

"A Soundelux 251 .....was used on all of Grohl's vocals. We used it into a Martek preamp and a dbx 160XT compressor, which is kind of funny — $7,000 worth of gear into a $200 compressor. But it sounds great.”
lol....that'd be the point of always recommending the blasted thing when someone asks for a cheap comp worth having. Whatever net-slatings it receives, the thing just works.
Old 8th May 2010
Quote:
Monkey brain is obvoiusly the most cool producer ever so you better listen to him!

"But seroiusly"..... if your interested in software that can help and you haven't checked it out before melodyne is worth checkin out
I'm not even a producer...at least, not one who gets paid. I get paid to engineer. But man, this place is full of people who do this for a living! some of the guys probably were involved in the consultation phase for the original melodyne! If anyone here HASN'T heard of melodyne, they've probably been reading the board through their grandad's specs!
Old 8th May 2010
Lives for gear

I'd like to know where he's getting 160XTs for $200!
Old 8th May 2010
Here for the gear

Sorry Monkey Brain your obviously the guru of the music industry and your options are the only one that work for anyone. So I'm sorry! Your 100% correct! The internet is only accessible to music guru's like yourself who already know everything!

So what is this site here for?

Shouldn't we just be emailing you for all the answers?
Old 8th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sorry Monkey Brain your obviously the guru of the music industry and your options are the only one that work for anyone. So I'm sorry! Your 100% correct! The internet is only accessible to music guru's like yourself who already know everything!

Welcome to Gearslutz, oh respectful one. May you breathe easier once you get comfortable.
Old 8th May 2010
Quote:

Sigh....this site is here for everyone to network, exchange opinions, seek help, and so on.

Without wanting to sound like a grumpy old forum member with far more posts than I really should have, jumping in and going "hey, have you heard about this software called melodyne?! It's really great!" is a bit like turning up to your local mechanic and offering to teach them how to change a wheel. It's what many of us do, day in, day out.

Likewise, many people agree that fudges like fake double tracking are vastly inferior to just doing it right in the first place. That's something you will learn if you hang around long enough.

Anyway, I wasn't being particularly nasty, it was just funny that's all. No need to start throwing around insults - that's another thing that doesn't make for a good introduction.
Old 8th May 2010
Here for the gear

Well as Monkey brain said the people using this website all consulted on melodyne...that must be why you think its crap!
Old 8th May 2010
Quote:
Well as Monkey brain said the people using this website all consulted on melodyne...that must be why you think its crap!
Where did I say it was crap, and where did I say all people on the site consulted on it?
Old 8th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
jumping in and going "hey, have you heard about this software called melodyne?! It's really great!" is a bit like turning up to your local mechanic and offering to teach them how to change a wheel.
Not quite, you can't end up with a Melodyne wrench wrapped around your head.
Old 8th May 2010
Lives for gear

Wow! Old thread..

So did you just try doubling it yet? You've had since 2005 to come up with answer..LOL

Here's a cover of a Foo tune my old band did for fun..
Just a doubled vocal through a Blue Bottle.. No lining up crap.

http://www.bigbangaudio.com//MP3/joh...0My%20hero.mp3
Old 8th May 2010
Here for the gear

Your words monkey brain...... "this place is full of people who do this for a living! some of the guys probably were involved in the consultation phase for the original melodyne!"

Sorry i made the mistake of putting up an alternative option for people to consider, i didn't realise only guru's like yourself use this site. I've now learnt my lesson,.... unless your a guru like yourself you should just stay out of the conversation..... Obviously younger people aren't welcome here!

I'm sorry I put up yesterdays news for those who aren't ageing guru's that may just be seeking something they may not have heard of and something that may help them find a sound they are looking for!

My apologies!

Salada!
Old 8th May 2010
Quote:
Well as Monkey brain said the people using this website all consulted on melodyne...
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
where did I say all people on the site consulted on it?
Quote:
Your words monkey brain...... "this place is full of people who do this for a living! some of the guys probably were involved in the consultation phase for the original melodyne!"
Read the above...I said SOME of the people on this site PROBABLY were involved in the consultation - not ALL of them DID.

Being cocky works so much better if you can read.

Now, where did I say it was crap? FYI I said it dulls the top end (it does, that's fact, you can check it for yourself) and that a faux double track doesn't sound as much like a double track as doing it for real does (that's self evident).

BTW the "Monkey Brain" thing is tiresome as well. I've not insulted you, you could show me the same respect.

You've taken this all too personally. You popped up on the site telling everyone about an industry standard piece of software that EVERYBODY here has no doubt heard about (and if they haven't most people have the brains, monkey or otherwise, to do a search) as if it's a new revolution, and then get offended when you get lightly ribbed for it.

Yes - you've offered an alternative method. The OP was answered, by someone involved with the actual sessions, a while ago.
Old 8th May 2010
Here for the gear

I never used the word all either? so maybe you should take your own advice and learn to read, maybe even read the melodyne manual and learn to find the top end! you attacked me sarcastically at my first comment on this site when i suggested melodyne as an alternative way of doubling vocals, discrediting it and saying your method is the best way. There's a million different ways with merit and you shouldn't have knocked me if you can't take me having a crack back!

My whole point is that not everyone has years of experience, you knocked me for putting up an alternative option.

What a joke!
Old 8th May 2010
Quote:
I never used the word all either? so maybe you should take your own advice and learn to read, maybe even read the melodyne manual and learn to find the top end! you attacked me sarcastically at my first comment on this site when i suggested melodyne as an alternative way of doubling vocals, discrediting it and saying your method is the best way. There's a million different ways with merit and you shouldn't have knocked me if you can't take me having a crack back!

My whole point is that not everyone has years of experience, you knocked me for putting up an alternative option.

What a joke!
Quote:
Let's see who can spot the word "all" in the sentence above...

I'm not knocking your lack of experience, if you can't see the humour in recommending a spanner to a mechanic, then you won't get too far in life.

As for the top end in melodyne...I'm well aware of how to DEAL with the lack of top end, like I said, I get paid to do it! it's just not ideal that's all. Why spend time getting a great vocal sound only to degrade it if you don't have to?!

As for doubling...well, if using melodyne is the way forward for you, go ahead. I've tried that method, and IMO it's vastly inferior to doing it properly. Ok in a pinch as I said - I'm not discrediting it. Why don't YOU try doing it properly, editing tightly and then seeing which sounds better?

I'd suggest a spate of reading around the site before getting so het up on a silly little thing. If that gets you all defensive, what are you like when something really gets you fired up?
Old 8th May 2010
Lives for gear

Homestudio1=Thornwivans

Psycho Monkey don't feed the troll.

This guys just looking to argue with everybody.

Another bored looney

Look at the post count
Old 8th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitar View Post
Psycho Monkey don't feed the troll.

This guys just looking to argue with everybody.

Another bored looney

Look at the post count
yeah sorry.....!
Old 8th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys View Post
Spent the last days listening to the great new foo fighters album. i really like the pretty obvious doubling on grohl´s voice. it does not sound as if it has been double tracked too much, the basic sound seems to be electronically doubled. does anyone know which fx unit has this signature sound or how i can build such a sound with a bunch of plugins (delaytimes/filtered/pitch offset/ etc/ etc)?
the coolest way would be an impulse file for convolution of course, anyone?

rock on!
pat
Not much of a FF connaisseur, so do you have a specific song title I could check on youtube so that I can hear what you're talking about?
Old 8th May 2010
Lives for gear

Some people forget that everyone including the most high and mighty here (or in the business as a whole) are only working in the audio business.

Pretty lowly stuff in the whole of life.

Even the highest paid don't make that much money in the grand scheme.
No one is saving lives or curing cancer.
No pilots who's performance and decisions are life or death situations.

In short?
Lighten up.

It is like a forum for carnival workers arguing over the details of the Tilt-a-Whirl at the next carnival sown the road.
Old 8th May 2010
Lives for gear

I love the Foo and I think the biggest part of "their sound" is that they seem to just be doing their own thing and not trying to keep up with whatever trends are happening on the radio. Good songwriting and lyrics that actually seem to say something.
As far as Melodyne goes, I use as little as absolutely necessary. I DO hear Cher effects starting to happen when trying to move a note more than just a little. I also doubt they used a lot of it on his voice because he has a fairly scratchy voice like mine and Melodyne can struggle with those kinds of voices. I don't know if the new Editor version is any better at "rough" types of vox.
One thing I recently discovered doing my own vox doubling was that I was much better at pitch and timing when the phones were at a level where I could hear the song, but still be able to hear my voice outside the cans. When the phones get so loud I can't hear/feel the vibration of my voice in the room, my timing and pitch suffer a bit. Am I the only one?

...sorry if I got off topic. Love the Foo!
Old 8th May 2010

Quote:

What a joke!
He's not knocking you. But he does have the experience of working on some pretty big records!! Your opinion and advice is noted.

As for doubling - Melodyne is software that's been used for quite some time in productions - for the double tracking effect - the BEST is generally double tracking for real. Melodyne will help you if you can't get what you're looking for - but it is a long way from a substitute for the real thing. Yes - give it a try..... but it's a very budget way of doing things and most certainly not the technique used on Foo Fighters records. The sonics lend themselves BETTER to dance or RnB.
Old 8th May 2010
Lives for gear

Slightly off topic but,

How does Dave Grohl sing live with chewing gum in his mouth throughout the whole show?

Saw Foo Fighters at Leeds Festival in 2005 and they sounded great. Not a fan of their newer albums but Colour and The Shape was the soundtrack to my teens.
Old 8th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcroisdale View Post
I'd like to know where he's getting 160XTs for $200!
I bought the last two I got for $50. Check Craigslist.
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
mix on line says had the following in an article about Dave Grohl

"A Soundelux 251 .....was used on all of Grohl's vocals. We used it into a Martek preamp and a dbx 160XT compressor, which is kind of funny — $7,000 worth of gear into a $200 compressor. But it sounds great.”
Yes. Things have evolved since"nothing left to lose".The Mix article is correct.That was the chain on the albums that Nick engineered/produced.It's Nicks personal Martek preamp which also ended up in the latest Rush offering "snakes and arrows".

It will be interesting to see where they go with Butch Vig.This time,They are attempting to record everything to tape.No protools.
Old 17th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
Wow! Old thread..

So did you just try doubling it yet? You've had since 2005 to come up with answer..LOL

Here's a cover of a Foo tune my old band did for fun..
Just a doubled vocal through a Blue Bottle.. No lining up crap.

http://www.bigbangaudio.com//MP3/joh...0My%20hero.mp3
Man that's an awesome cover!! I really enjoyed listening to that. Good work!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search