The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Another transformer question...
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Another transformer question...

Hi there,

Just curious...many eq's are sold with transformer options, and being a fan of transformers, I imagine I'm into that. However, I've already got transformers on my mic pres. I guess I'm just wondering how important *multiple* transformers are in the signal path. Does each piece of equipment have a sound that only comes from its transformers? (I'm looking at that buzz audio parametric eq). Is it there to simply impart the "tranformer sound?"

I guess it's obvious that different transformers are going to have different sounds, but if I've already got good neve, api, and tube-style thud in my pres, how absolutely important is adding a pair of Sowters in the eq circuit? The price difference is pretty big, so I thought it might be worth checking to see if anyone here has been in this spot...?

Thanks a lot!

kelly
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Every transformer has at least some "sonic footprint", and they accumulate when you chain gear in a sequence. Good or bad? It Depends!

Output transformers DO have an advantage in a system since they should prevent any sort of grounding or other interfacing issues.

Bri

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search