The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How the hell are we meant to stay fit doing our job??
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ah! Fellow bikers! That's really the only way I can keep the weight off- When I slack off I turn into a marshmallow.... I never got into the road biking thing- I'm a mountain biking adrenaline junkie. Here's my Klein Pinnacle single track bike-
Old 16th July 2005
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
Any top tips?
Play drums harder! Get into playing metal and double kicks, if not for the love (which I don't think you do) of the music, then for the exercise! You might be surprised at how super-physical drumming can get.

That said, I'm in the process of carefully picking out a hybrid road/mountainbike. Then again, I DO have enough time to exercise and I'm finally starting to use it.

I'm starting to look like I'm related to the Michelin-man!
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

And here's my Turner RFX downhill full suspension ride- heh (I should post this on 'bikeslutz' I suppose)
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
Damn, between hitting 30, doing loadsa sessions and touring. I ain't the thin little kid I once was, not fat yet, but it seems like its on the cards for the first time ever. I eat really well (generally that is, but its impossible to get good food consitently in the UK unless you source it and cook it yourself EVERY time), but I just don't have time to exercise properly. I bust some sit-ups in the morning, I walk everywhere, but damn, its only just holding back the tide of lard!! When do you guys/gals that have 24/7 schedules get to work off some of those almost unavoidable mid-mix chocolate bars or service station dinners!!! Any top tips?

AHAHAHAHAA. good. get fat dammit. join the crowd.

I'll say it again, the fattest most ugly unhealthy crowd I have EVER SEEN was at AES in LA a couple years ago. Beat only my the Wissconson "cheesefest" I attended years ago.

Just give up now.... order a pizza, chase it with some beers. Be what your were meant to..... a tub of goo.

( i been riding my bike to the studio for the last few weeks and eating good, it's a big struggle with out exercise! )
Old 16th July 2005
Jax
Lives for gear

Just thought of another thing to avoid:

NEVER eat a meal within 3-4 hours of going to bed. At 30, your metabolism is just going to continue slowing down and whatever you ate at 11:30pm will become 2 things: **** and fat.
Old 16th July 2005

noted craig!!

thanks for the tips

(orders pizza and beer)
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duende
Our record label's site is www.asphodel.com Our studio site should be up soon.

Check out your site... nice! How long have you all been doing music over there??
Hey thanks. I've owned studios for about 2.5 years now, and have been in the current space for a bit over a year now. Its been a lot of fun, but SF is pretty competitive for some reason. PM me if you wanna come by some time and hang out.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_hti
Dokushoka, nice track bike....I couldn't even come close to imagining riding that in traffic. Do you visit a track often? I have never done that.
Well there is a velodrome about an hour from San Franciso (Hellyer Park, in San Jose) that is in pretty good shape. I've ridden a few times on beginner days, but am getting ready to start racing competitively. Here in SF there are lots of "alleycats" which are basically messenger style races. That is a lot of fun, especially riding full speed through traffic.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Here's a few truisms I've learned from many years of counseling people re weight:
1. Weight loss (or staying the same) is math. Calories in must be less than calories out. Therefore eat less (or smarter) and exercise more.
2. Excersising presents many barriers for many people. You need to call on your creativity to decide how you'll overcome these. If its a priority for you, you'll figure it out. ps you need to figure it out.
3. The more you do, the more you'll want to do; the less you do...
4. Look at your parents physique, and learn to accept the inevitable (kinda tongue-in-cheek of course).
5. The older you get the more difficult it gets, so today is the best time to start and get good habits going. Also, the older you get the less calories you need and the more exercise you need to balance the equation. So just doing everything the same, means you'll gain weight as you age. You have to adapt.
6. Consider food substitutions in everything you eat. ie examine what your eating. Is it healthy? If it aint, then why are you eating it? Really look hard at the reasons and get past them.
7. Think of a food mantra and stick it in your head...
Like: "Fruits and vegetables, not packages damnit"
or, "Whats the calorie density of this thing?"

Thats just a few.

As far as actual 'diet' goes...
(ps Fat is not water soluable). Water is fine, but whatever..it aint much of an answer.
Its about balance. All carbs or no carbs or all fat or no fat etc is just plain stupid.
Go to the ADA (American Diabetic Assoc) website, and download their diet info. The diabetic diet recommendations are currently the best resource.

A good book is "Good fat, bad fat"
A bad book is "The Adkins Diet"

Good luck children.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search