The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Age Poll - Old Skool / New skool?
View Poll Results: What age range are you in?
19 or under
3 Votes - 0.90%
20-35
190 Votes - 57.23%
36-50
105 Votes - 31.63%
Over 50
34 Votes - 10.24%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

early 80s kid

march 26 1980 to be precise
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

30 and 1/2. last day of 74, I'm stuck in the newskool, love computers , but musically I've always been stuck in the seventies.

when I was in the 6th grade, some kids in my class were discovering floyd and zeppelin, I already knew all that stuff from like 4 or 5 years old, because of the baby sitter's oldest son who used to blast Heartbreaker everyday !!
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Don't look it or feel it, but my musical tastes run Old sCHool. Been playing and recording and gearslutting since I was 15,
only difference is that nowadays I usually won't climb into dumpsters looking for gear unless there's something Fairchild-looking poking out of the boxes, rotting veges, etc. heh

Mike
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

36...37 in Dec
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'm 33, but I'm Old School...
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

Turned 36 2 weeks ago - been recording 20 years now since I got my first 4 track - a Fostex X-15! 'Upgraded' to a Yamaha MT44, then a Tascam TSR8 1/2" 8 track. Tried and failed to get a tape op job in the local studios when I left school, back in the days when there were no audio schools here...

Set up my first DAW in 1997 - Logic 2.5 with an Audiowerk8 card. Been digital ever since (currently a Digi002r, soon to become a Lynx AES16/Aurora 16 I reckon), although in the early 90's I worked with a guy who still did blade editing on a Revox B77! He was rather good at it too.

Frank
Old 15th July 2005

56. Skool? I don't got no skool. I don't gotta show you no steeeenking skool.
Old 15th July 2005
45 and 1/4
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Maniac

29 - happy to announce that as many times as possible before I turn the big 3-0.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Looks like the numbers support what I already knew....
As we age, it take fewer of the more experienced among us to get the job done.

Old boys in da hoouuussse....
Old 15th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
I'll be 37 in a week...
Hey De... Me too, well 2 weeks, the 31st. I only know this because my girl has to remind me how old I am and we were just talking about it yesterday.

Started recording about a decade ago but did live sound for 7 or 8 years before that and playing live gigs on guitar at around 16.

Funny when I was 16 or so I would say that I have all the time in the world... now I am not so sure...

Old 15th July 2005
Gear Maniac

michael, i know this is OT, but i just noticed Ur sig.
how prescient is THAT =;<¿
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

31 wooohooo u old farts
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Nut

just hit 33.

just had my first audio/music old fart discussion with a friend yesterday.

"back in the old days we used to chop our beats up on a 2 line led screen using numerical values only. all this wave forms on computer screens and auto beat detection and slicing is making these young punks soft"

"I know, I was talking to some kid the other day about getting my midi to CV box fixed and he asked me 'whats a midi and what does it have to do with your resume?'" (ok...this last line was a joke....)

Jeff
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

27 going on 13
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Maniac

41, with the most wounderful and understanding wife and kids one could hope for.
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Guru

born in the summer of '70, mere weeks away from 35.

every year gets so much better than the last it's ridiculous. THANK GOD i'm not in my 20's anymore.

and every new day, new mix, and new piece of gear gets me a little more 1976 and a little less 2005, always pushing that balance: new school music with an old school vibe.

what i want to know is, why is that old school vibe so damn elusive, and expensive?

gregoire
del ubik
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
what i want to know is, why is that old school vibe so damn elusive, and expensive?

gregoire
del ubik

Quality costs.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Costs can be for quality, but demand has you paying for certain regardless of quality or not.

Ruphus
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
born in the summer of '70, mere weeks away from 35.

every year gets so much better than the last it's ridiculous. THANK GOD i'm not in my 20's anymore.
Thank God I'm not the only one. My 20s blew compared to the 30s so far. 32 here by the way.
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

56 and counting, was buying Elvis on 78's when I was 7, cause that's all our home made turntable would play.
I never went to school so I don't know whether I'm new or old. Did a solid year of recording punk a couple of years ago, I would rather listen to Lightnin' Hopkins and Doctor John, than Jimi but he's OK, still buy vinyl and my kids are always telling me to turn it down. Owned 7 or 8 tape machines but it's all Daw now.
When I'm on the ice the 20 year olds still need to keep their heads up ;-) . Take care Logan
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

55 and still going strong....and i am absolutley and old analog guy who loves digital recording..wouldn't go back for the world.i love listening and working on all kinds of music (from classical to hip hop)..as long as it's creative...and enjoy staying up on new trends sounds and equipment.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

34 years old with 15 years (on/off) or so of recording experience.....the last 5 years as a full-time studio owner/engineer

-Zak
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
I edited audio tape with razor blades for 30 years before digital became practical. You don't know what it was like, and never will!
i'm 30, will be 31 next month. AND, i can proudly say that i've edited tape with a razor blade. not for a while, but it's there in my deep dark past...
Old 15th July 2005
35 in september...
girls invariably think I'm 25
so who am I to tell them they're wrong about that??

aaaah whatever, age is in the way people look at (read: hear) stuff.
On a good day I feel like 4 years old again, like when I get a new mic.
Old 16th July 2005
IMS
Gear Maniac

46 and a bit more. Been playing and singing music for (gulp) over 40 years now, recording since 1965.

And a 10 year old daughter who starting writing and recording her own songs with me last year in my little studio. Talk about a great father/daughter activity...

Never managed to do engineering for a living, but I've got plenty of years left.

Irwin

P.S. Yikes, I'm older than Jules!!
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I'm 53. Most of the people I record (but not all,) could be my kids or grand kids I've played some kind of instrument since I was 6 and have had my own recording studio for 10 years. Oh and, no computer in the studio.
Old 16th July 2005
Lek
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil
35 in september...
girls invariably think I'm 25
so who am I to tell them they're wrong about that??

aaaah whatever, age is in the way people look at (read: hear) stuff.
On a good day I feel like 4 years old again, like when I get a new mic.
33, and similarly everyone thinks I look 25... can easily act like I'm 7 with my 7 year old (or with others!).

I think at this point I'd like the physical aging to stop yet let the wisdom accrue
Old 16th July 2005
I remember when dirt was born...
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Please don't take offense everyone, but thanks for making me feel young. I'm 26 this month and often feel like it's too late for me to really get into this. Not so much because of my age, but because I'm supporting a wife (who just quit her job today--how awesome for us), a 2 year old, and another in the oven. If I could move to LA tomorrow I might, but with my decent 'regular' job bringing home the bacon for the fam I obviously can't. Somehow a couple years ago I got HOOKED on recording etc. and I'm doing what I can on the side to learn it. Someday I hope to be in the financial situation to make it work full time before I go insane in my cubical.

Or get fired for browsing recording forums all day.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search