The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MOTU 24i/o or Alesis HD24XR
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

MOTU 24i/o or Alesis HD24XR

My main gig is location recording - I do some studio work too. The studio stuff is small (because my space is small) - maybe 4 tracks max (to date).

I currently record with a MOTU 24i.

I'd like to upgrade my recording hardware, but I’m not sure which way to go.

MOTU 24I/O – stay with recording to PC.
or
HD24XR and leave the PC at home.
With the HD24 I wouldn’t need to take my PC, LCD screen, keyboard, mouse. While I have been very successful recording to a PC, I do not consider myself to be immune to PC glitches – I suspect an HD24 would be more reliable.

Is it easy enough to work with an HD24? Is it practical to build up multiple tracks, do punch-ins, etc.

Are the converters in the HD24 as good as, or better than the MOTU rig?

I figure if I go the HD24 route, I’ll replace my MOTU 24i with a good 4-in/4-out card of some sort and simplify the PC side of things.

Obviously, aspects of the HD24 route appeals to me – but if the UI clunky and awkward, not practical for anything other than setup-and-record situations, I wouldn’t want to go there.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Nut

Hey Zem,

No doubt that the HD24XR will be a better option for portability. Not only that but the converters on the HD24XR will blow the crap out of the Motu 24i.

What kind of on location stuff do you record? Orchestras are easy to do with a standalone unit like that. You just press record and sit back and relax (as far as tracking goes). You know longer need to watch the computer to see if it is glitching out or not.

I would sell the Motu 24i after you buy the HD24 and replace it with some kind of RME. Or something like a Motu 2408mk3 if you want to keep it in the Motu realm. Just get something with a consistent ADAT optical in and out. I use my HD24 as a front end converter to my Motu 2408mk3 and channel all 24 ins to the computer. Then at home you will also have 24 channels into the computer the same way you have 24 into the 24i.

Or of course you could get a interface with just 1 or 2 ADAT ins/outs and do 8-16 channels at one time. Just depends on what you want to do with your budget.

Either way, Ive never looked back on switching to the HD24 on live recordings nor have i looked back using just the stock 2408mk3 converters for recording in the studio.

Danny
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

I do choral and other live concert recordings. I would also be recording bands in their rehearsal space where we might be tracking instruments one at a time, layering vocals, etc.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

No doubt, HD24xr. You get great sounding converters and they even throw in a hard disk recorder for free!

I have been using mine as a break out box, 2408 mkII through lightpipe, and been happy as a clam.

The HD24xr is great for remote recording. Do yourself a favor and get the fireport as well so you can easily transfer to and from the computer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search