The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Get the damn PC out of my studio!
Old 8th November 2010
Gear Nut

I'm sorry for bringing back such an old thread, but since it already contains useful information about what I want to bring up, I thought it'd be a better idea than to start a new one.

I'm looking to get my PC out of the studio, in another room. I need about 25 ft of cables.

Now, it seems good quality DVI cable (which ones?) can do the job well enough for monitors. PS/2 mouse and keyboards' cables can go that long too, I believe?

USB seems to be the biggest problem, as I've heard it cannot run down more than 5 meters. What would be the best/not too expensive solution? I have around 7-8 USB devices I have to plug in... I'd also like to know if anyone know of any good USB hubs, as I'd like to have free USB connections in my control room.

Last but not least, firewire (for my Echo Audiofire 12 and external hard drives). Is there any limitation to the length of cable that can be used?

My PC, despite buying and changing for fans that aren't too noisy, is still cumbersome. Getting it out would definitely improve my control room's noise level, and "sealing" it would be out of question because of airflow issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 8th November 2010
Lives for gear

I water cool mine, you can barely hear it. There is only one fan in the case and it is a quiet fan as well as the power supply. It doesn't get as dirty as those things full of fans either.
Old 8th November 2010
Gear Head

As far as quieting the computer. Get the most powerful fanless graphic card you can get.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search