The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Old RCA Limiters
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Head
Old RCA Limiters

Hi,

I will soon be able to play with one of the old RCA limiters (an earlier version of the BA6A) and was wondering if any of you are familiar with these units and, if so, could give me some pointers or tips on getting the most out of these boat-anchors. For example, what kind of controls do these units have, and what does each control do? I've seem some photos, and not much is readily apparent to me other than they don't have any of the slope/ratio, attack, or release type of knobs that I am used to. Also, any favorite starting points for vocals? bass?

thanks
Old 14th July 2005
One with big hooves

The BA6A has one or two external knobs on it so there isn't much to muck with. It generally just sits there and does it's thing. There are a bunch of internal trim pots and cutoff adjustments for calibration but I wouldn't touch any of those unless your a tech with a clue and a service manual.

The BA-6A (and it's family) has a super hot output so you'll need some pads around, maybe even a pair of 20 or 30dB's depending on how your running the thing. It has enough gain on the front end and back end to drive a 4x12 cabinet!
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Head
Thanks Jay (that was quick)

So is the amount of compression controlled or determined merely by how hard you hit the front end of the limiter (whether by the level of the signal sent to the limiter or the limiter's input gain control)?
Old 14th July 2005
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
The BA6A has one or two external knobs on it so there isn't much to muck with. It generally just sits there and does it's thing. There are a bunch of internal trim pots and cutoff adjustments for calibration but I wouldn't touch any of those unless your a tech with a clue and a service manual.
They can all be reset with the front panel meter. I've had great fun with an intentionally misaligned BA-6A.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Hi Bob,

Could you elaborate? (on the intentional misaligning that is)

Jeff
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Head
yes, Bob, that would be great if you could clarify

I can guess what INPUT and OUTPUT knobs are and what they do, but until i get to play with it, I'm not sure what the "IN/OUT" knob or the "METER" knob do/control.

also, unless I'm mistaken, it looks like there is knob in with the guts of this thing (not on the front panel, but in with the tubes etc.)
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca
Hi,

I will soon be able to play with one of the old RCA limiters (an earlier version of the BA6A) and was wondering if any of you are familiar with these units and, if so, could give me some pointers or tips on getting the most out of these boat-anchors. For example, what kind of controls do these units have, and what does each control do? I've seem some photos, and not much is readily apparent to me other than they don't have any of the slope/ratio, attack, or release type of knobs that I am used to. Also, any favorite starting points for vocals? bass?

thanks
Attack, Release and Threshold are all fixed values. Compression is controlled by how high you crank the input level. There are two compression modes, one is a single time constant, the second is a dual time constant.

Seriously huge sound.

Mark
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplancke
Attack, Release and Threshold are all fixed values. Compression is controlled by how high you crank the input level. There are two compression modes, one is a single time constant, the second is a dual time constant.

Seriously huge sound.

Mark

Thanks, Mark

do you know how the two different compression modes are selected? or what the fixed values are?
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca
Thanks, Mark

do you know how the two different compression modes are selected? or what the fixed values are?
The modes are selected by the function knob located near the center of the compressor. It's pretty straight forward and will be obvious when you see it.

Mark

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search