The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good 24-channel mixer for a home studio Mixers (Analog)
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Good 24-channel mixer for a home studio

Hey everyone, what's a good sounding 24-channel mixer that's not TOO expensive and not TOO big? Good sound is by far the most important factor, but my control room not overly large either so I can't really get a massive console in there. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

an old soundcraft console would probably do the trick nicely (and can be had for pretty cheap). Or if you can afford something new, a midas venice is a very nice choice!
/Jonas
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

you might wanna define not to expensive and not to big :p
Old 14th July 2005

the amek BCII can be a good option for a small console. I know funky junk were custom building them in new frames with your choice of stereo line channels or mono paths with mic pres. As far as I remember it has two sends (could be wrong) very usable eq, I dont remember in detail what the pres were like, tho I remember using them for tracking guitar a few times.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

If you choose an analog console, remember that you will have to allow for 24 channels of D/A if you want to mix 24 channels OTB. That could get expensive, even if you went with good converters instead of great.

for about 7k, you could get a Yamaha DM1000. People have mixed opinions about Yamaha gear, but find another console in its price range that offers the power and flexibility of the DM1000. The pre's are not offensive, and the conversion doesn't suck. Plus, you'll get reverbs, compressors, and eq's...and DAW control. That's a lot of punch for a small room...especially for its size.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I'll second that, the dm1000 is very nice for the money.

As mentioned by username, a budgetfigure would definately help, big and cheap are pretty subjective terms...
/Jonas
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have a SoundTracs Topaz Project 8, (although mine is 32-channel), and it is a great board for the price, with some really sweet EQ. As has been mentioned, you need a lot of i/o, which can cost more than the console itself.

I started with a Motu 24i/o, and added a Motu 2408 to give me 32-channels of analog i/o, plus I still have some digital inputs where I can add some higher-end converters for my "money channels".

It looks however like I am now going to get the Lynx Aurora-16 (I have already ordered it), so that is going to reduce my i/o in half...ouch!

Anyway, the 2408 is already gone, and the 24 i/o will be up for sale as soon as the Aurora gets here. Anyone interested? PM me. Should be available in a week or so.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Blevins always seems to have some nice consoles in the 24 channel range for nice prices. He's best known for his MCI stuff, which is very affordable these days. Many under $5k on his website now.
later,
m

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search