The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rendering the bass separately?
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Nut

Rendering the bass separately?

Can some GS's advise me on whether this is mad or dangerous?

In prep for taking mixes to a mastering house....

Should I create two files :
- a stereo mix without bass
- a mono bass track

Does this give the mastering engineer options that are all for the good? OR is it too much leeway for the mastering engineer?

I'm really not sure myself. I'll be rendering from logic through a rosetta800 and back into the machine.

Thanks all
Anthony
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

yeah, but where does it end, seperate vocal, kik, and its not long before you are mixing all over again.

Make a choice, live with it, learn from your mistakes.
Old 13th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

There are 2 + 2 mixes that are stereo music + stereo vocal mixes that allow the mastering guy more control (and he's mixing your vocals in of course) but I've never heard of leaving out the bass.

?

War
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drongo
Can some GS's advise me on whether this is mad or dangerous?

In prep for taking mixes to a mastering house....

Should I create two files :
- a stereo mix without bass
- a mono bass track

Does this give the mastering engineer options that are all for the good? OR is it too much leeway for the mastering engineer?

I'm really not sure myself. I'll be rendering from logic through a rosetta800 and back into the machine.

Thanks all
Anthony
Not to be disrespectful, but you're not a mixer if you don't mix the bass . Getting the bass right is one of the more challenging but also more fun parts of mixing...

On the other hand, if you're really uncertain about just the bass, I know a coule of ME's who would have no problem helping you fit it in.

PM me if you want some suggestions.

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Guru

I think it's an interesting idea but I also agree that a mix is a mix.

You don't make Chicken Jambalaya and leave the chicken on the side for your waitress to add.
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Nut

okay lads - i get the drift. ..

I'm surpised you couldn't see the reasoning behind the question though.

i.e. bass, the most likely of incorrect balancing candidates due to rooms etc, being separate.

As to mixing without the bass - I wouldn't be - the rendering would be separate. I would still build the mix with the bass in.

cheers
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Guru

"getting the bass right" in a mix involves a lot more than how loud the bass guitar track is.

listen to your mixes on a lot of different systems before you hand them in and then trust the ME. In my experience, they can exercise quite a bit of control over the low end.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

i.e. bass, the most likely of incorrect balancing candidates due to rooms etc, being separate.

As to mixing without the bass - I wouldn't be - the rendering would be separate. I would still build the mix with the bass in.

cheers
Just supplying the bass separately might not solve your problems. Eq-ing between kick, bass and lowend of guitars or piano or whatever, is all dependent of eachother. It's about filling the lowend by MIXING the players down there . You get it right or you don't, the balance has to be there. There might be too much or too little lowend in general, but the balance has to be there, no way around it IMHO.

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

cheers
I think it's a good idea if you're going to be at the mastering session. Bring a copy of the complete mix, and also the seperate tracks as a back up. Suggest it to the ME, and if he thinks your mix with the bass is too out-of-wack to be fixed, then you always have the bass-less copy to give him. I think most ME's probably wouldn't want to bother though, they are used to having mixes with some pretty screwed up bass.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search