The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tlm 103 replacement
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Addict

Hey thanks for all the info. Been away touring for a while hence the no reply thing.
I'd love to help you out with a dealer for the microtech mics but I'm over here in New Zealand and the info wouldn't be of much use to you. Been using my avenson sto-2's on percussion lately. Really happy with the results but very room dependent. They seem to like wooden floors.
Old 7th August 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson
For the same price a Brauner Phantom C is clearly better...
Than what?

A poke in the eye with a blunt stick?
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJah
I am currently using a tlm 103 as my main vocal mic through a buzz audio mic pre. I am looking at selling the neumann for something a little better. I am currently looking at the geffel m 930, the aea r84 and the soundeluxe u195. The ribbon mic seems the most interesting at the moment. Am interested in opinions on these mics as the main vocal mic of a project studio. I record mainly jazz,folk and some rock.
Well - what is your budget?

I have a Gefell M930 and I'm very happy with it for the money (€600). In fact I wrote quite a detailed User review of it here a couple of years back which might make interesting reading for you.

Unfortunately I've not had the chance to A/B with a TLM103 but I soon will as my mate has one at his studio and I shall be doing this soon and posting some results for people to draw their own conclusions from. What I have read so far would seem to indicate that despite their similar response curves the top end on the Gefell is smoother than the Neumann and the bass is a bit fuller - but I really want to hear this for myself before making a judgement.

For my voice, and I stress that I do mainly spoken word stuff, the next step up from the M930 is the Brauner Phantom C (€1200) which is an absolutely awesome mic for vocals, albeit perhaps just too neutral for the tastes of some. But it's the first mic I tried that was a real improvement on the M930, although of course I'd hang on to the latter as it's a great mic and has many uses.

My friend bought a Blue Kiwi (€2000) as his main studio vocal mic and this is also a superb choice for this application although it wouldn't do for me as it has too much of 'a sound' and is far from neutral (like all Blue mics).

The Brauner Valvet (€2000) is a lovely mic too but again a bit too coloured for my tastes (would suit a Jazz singer perfectly).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search