The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
List your ****ups to help save others
Old 13th July 2005
  #31
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riad
Hmmm, I don't know. But Rail is a fantastic guy if you e-mail him he may have a Mac port for his applications.
Soundhack is for Mac.
Old 14th July 2005
  #32
Guest
Guest
Quote:
Recording awfull bands because you really need the money.
The reason I closed shop after 3 years.
These bands breed and bring more and teh money keeps coming.
Me and my partner almost got a bad valium addiction going because of this work.
After 3 years of solid work I think we have 2 projects that are even listenable.

Don't do it!
In addition to the bad press, bad sounds, horrible music, you can not gain many skills working with this other than tolerance.

No engineering skill will ever compete with good musicians. ever.
Look at hom many engineers are or have gotten famous because some great band like Floyd, or the Beatles, or say, Hendrix fell into thier laps.

Align yourself with great talent and you willl be rewarded.



My lesson for the thread would be:
keep your gear maintained.
Document..document...document!!! I don't but, I sure wish I did quite often.






D
Old 14th July 2005
  #33
Gear Maniac
 
cultureofgreed's Avatar
 

Save or Die!
Old 14th July 2005
  #34
Lives for gear
 
hociman's Avatar
 

Remember Two Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineEars
Every once in a while I'll do a session at 48k with my PT rig aardsynced and forget to change the rate when starting a new session at 44.1. Well when you open that session at a later date with the aardsync at 44.1 your band wonders why the tempo has changed and the pitched has dropped. Analog dump is the only way out of that one.
Use a SYNC I/O as your master clock, and this will never happen.
Quote:
Of course everyone has lost files with Digidesign at one stage or another. It's the only way to learn how the hell the files management and hard drive maintenance truly works. Back up, back up, back up!!! Auto save, auto save, auto save!!! Save session copy in!!!
Anyone that doesn't have auto-save set to save every minute and keep the last 99 backups isn't truly using auto-save.
Old 14th July 2005
  #35
Gear Maniac
 
aevan's Avatar
 

This kinda only applies to 2 inch, but never trust anyone (client, muso etc) to "let you know when to drop out". Do a dry run and have them show you the in/out points then take control. On one of the first commercial albums I worked on I wiped the start of a well known artist's sax solo when I was a youngen, as the person who was going to "let me know when to drop out" got distracted by someone else in the room. I was mortified. Ahh memories....
Old 14th July 2005
  #36
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by hociman
Anyone that doesn't have auto-save set to save every minute and keep the last 99 backups isn't truly using auto-save.
Amen brother! Learned that one the hard way.
Old 14th July 2005
  #37
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Don't forget the master record button!
Old 14th July 2005
  #38
Gear Maniac
 
Hammer v2's Avatar
Didn't fire the session drummer when he said "I don't do click tracks"......
2 weeks of editing later.................
Old 14th July 2005
  #39
Gear Nut
Don't assume that the woman that comes into the studio holding hands with the guitar player that is wearing a wedding band is actually the guitar player's wife.
And if you are foolish enough to assume that, don't call up the guitar player's house and when a female answers the phone assume that the female you are now talking to is the same person you had recently met and remembered her name. After that, my suggestion would be to NOT address THIS female by this remembered name.
Then I might add, do not bring up the fact that "Yea, we met at the studio yesterday!" when prompted by a suspicious "Who is this? There is no one here by that name...that I know of"
If all this does happen to unfortunately transpire, then at least have a better response then...."uh...wrong number sorry!"
Old 14th July 2005
  #40
Gear Maniac
 
ghoost's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckj
Don't assume that the woman that comes into the studio holding hands with the guitar player that is wearing a wedding band is actually the guitar player's wife.
And if you are foolish enough to assume that, don't call up the guitar player's house and when a female answers the phone assume that the female you are now talking to is the same person you had recently met and remembered her name. After that, my suggestion would be to NOT address THIS female by this remembered name.
Then I might add, do not bring up the fact that "Yea, we met at the studio yesterday!" when prompted by a suspicious "Who is this? There is no one here by that name...that I know of"
If all this does happen to unfortunately transpire, then at least have a better response then...."uh...wrong number sorry!"

now that's funny .... heh Would love to know the aftermath

Quote:
Don't start bands with a bunch of self absorbed f**k ups.
Ditto ...

My studio is private for this very reason. I choose whom I want to work with. Considering the amount of hours I spend in front of those monitors .. I need to at least start out liking it. You gotta have a good voice, good musicianship and good songs.
Old 14th July 2005
  #41
Gear Addict
 
JulianBrightnes's Avatar
 

When you bouncedown in protools, be sure to check the bouncing source!

Once had to finish a mix that had to go to a post-production house. Extremely tight deadline and the bike-messenger was waiting in the hallway, bounced down the mix but with the wrong outputs selected as bounce-source!
Result: empty track on the CD! Never saw that client again.


Cheers, Julian
Old 16th July 2005
  #42
Lives for gear
 
joaquin's Avatar
 

For the sample rate/Clock FU***UP, Just create a new session with the actual sample rate, and use "import session data"...bring the tracks to the new session without changing the sample rate...voila!!
Old 20th July 2005
  #43
Gear Maniac
 

Not having the drummer count off when tracking basics. Made it much more difficult to vocals and overdubs. Won't make that mistake again...
Old 20th July 2005
  #44
Lives for gear
 
joaquin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAProTulz
Not having the drummer count off when tracking basics. Made it much more difficult to vocals and overdubs. Won't make that mistake again...
...It should not be that hard to create a Click track!?...
Old 20th July 2005
  #45
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin
For the sample rate/Clock FU***UP, Just create a new session with the actual sample rate, and use "import session data"...bring the tracks to the new session without changing the sample rate...voila!!
That won't work. The problem is the samples are 48k audio labeled 44.1. A 48k session will think the samples are 44.1 and require them to be "converted" to 48, which will make them play at the wrong speed. And a 44.1 session will see them as 44.1 samples and play at the wrong speed. The only solution is to change the data so the headers match the actual sample rate of the audio.
Rather than do this to each track of a multitrack session, its easier to continue the session as 44.1 clocked to 48 (recreating the original conditions) and then use Soundhack to conform the mixes.

Now repeat after me:
I WILL NEVER FORGET TO CHECK THE CLOCK RATE AGAIN! I WILL NEVER FORGET TO CHECK THE CLOCK RATE AGAIN! I WILL NEVER FORGET TO CHECK THE CLOCK RATE AGAIN! I WILL NEVER FORGET TO CHECK THE CLOCK RATE AGAIN! I WILL NEVER FORGET TO CHECK THE CLOCK RATE AGAIN!
Old 20th July 2005
  #46
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin
...It should not be that hard to create a Click track!?...
True, but that breaks the flow of the session for a while. I find it's always easier to have the drummer count off.
Old 20th July 2005
  #47
Gear Maniac
 
smarsland's Avatar
 

a couple of things i have learned through major f*ckups with PT:

1) When using PT, check the integrity and free space on the hard drive.

2) Always run a CD-burner or DAT tape when using PT

3) Check the freakin' clock speed and bit depth on the mixer.


stupid... i have messed up with #1 twice.. both big projects.

Good thing I don't make my living with this.

s
Old 20th July 2005
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Riad's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarsland
a couple of things i have learned through major f*ckups with PT:

1) When using PT, check the integrity and free space on the hard drive.

2) Always run a CD-burner or DAT tape when using PT

3) Check the freakin' clock speed and bit depth on the mixer.


stupid... i have messed up with #1 twice.. both big projects.

Good thing I don't make my living with this.

s
I normally set my time limit in PT to 15 min. I've never tracked a song that even came close to that.

Well I just did a session where we were tracking live, and I forgot to change that and during the performance... bam!
Old 20th July 2005
  #49
Gear Addict
 
dhughes's Avatar
 

Formatting the wrong harddrive. Considered killing myself. Then remember my wife and kids.

Lesson: Don't name your harddrives with similiar titles
Old 21st July 2005
  #50
Lives for gear
 
the1Hub's Avatar
 

on the file header change for mac.
A friend of mine who writes code for mac for a living has been working on a program similar to the by rail for me. weve already got the basic function to work, atleast that what he tells me. he however wants to add more features, a great gui and the ability to make changes in batches instead of one file at a time like it works now, so he can charge a few bucks for it after all he dose nothing with recording audio and it is how he makes his living. ill definatly post more info when its done.

and ive done that too many times to count, wich is why i asked him if he could wirte the program in the first place.

another way to ruin a session....or a band for that matter
dont leave the talk back mic on while the band in the control room is ripping on the singer in the booth opps
Old 21st July 2005
  #51
Lives for gear
 
joaquin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb
That won't work. The problem is the samples are 48k audio labeled 44.1. A 48k session will think the samples are 44.1 and require them to be "converted" to 48, which will make them play at the wrong speed. And a 44.1 session will see them as 44.1 samples and play at the wrong speed. The only solution is to change the data so the headers match the actual sample rate of the audio.
Rather than do this to each track of a multitrack session, its easier to continue the session as 44.1 clocked to 48 (recreating the original conditions) and then use Soundhack to conform the mixes.
Unless I'm not quite understanding the situation you describe...The Files ARE in a specific sample rate...there's not such thing as an "actual rate" and a "label"!?
Just create a session with the correct rate and import the tracks without SRC.
Old 21st July 2005
  #52
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1Hub
on the file header change for mac.
A friend of mine who writes code for mac for a living has been working on a program similar to the by rail for me. weve already got the basic function to work, atleast that what he tells me. he however wants to add more features, a great gui and the ability to make changes in batches instead of one file at a time like it works now, so he can charge a few bucks for it after all he dose nothing with recording audio and it is how he makes his living. ill definatly post more info when its done.

and ive done that too many times to count, wich is why i asked him if he could wirte the program in the first place.
Sounds interesting. Let us know when its ready.

Quote:
another way to ruin a session....or a band for that matter
dont leave the talk back mic on while the band in the control room is ripping on the singer in the booth opps
Oh I'm sure nobody here has ever done that
Old 21st July 2005
  #53
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin
Unless I'm not quite understanding the situation you describe...The Files ARE in a specific sample rate...there's not such thing as an "actual rate" and a "label"!?
Just create a session with the correct rate and import the tracks without SRC.
You are not quite understanding the problem. The only way session knows what the sample rate is is by a header in the data. So if the data is mislabeled, the session has no way to know it. Any files were recorded in a session labeled 44.1 will be labeled as 44.1 files, and any subsequent session will treat them as 44.1 files.
If you f*cked up and opened a 44.1 session, but your master clock was set to 48, the files will have been recorded at 48 (as determined by the master clock) but they will be labeled 44.1 (as determined by the session settings). That creates the problem described above. Does that clear it up?
Old 21st July 2005
  #54
Lives for gear
 
joaquin's Avatar
 

Hi PRobb.
It actually happened to me some time ago...I recorded with my external clock set at 44.1KHz in a session with 48KHz for sample rate.
I created a new session in 44.1KHz and Imported my tracks from the F***UP session without converting the files...worked like a charm ...I'm using ProTools...and the "import session data" command.
Peace.............Joaquin.
Old 21st July 2005
  #55
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin
Hi PRobb.
It actually happened to me some time ago...I recorded with my external clock set at 44.1KHz in a session with 48KHz for sample rate.
I created a new session in 44.1KHz and Imported my tracks from the F***UP session without converting the files...worked like a charm ...I'm using ProTools...and the "import session data" command.
Peace.............Joaquin.
If you recorded in a 48 session, the files would have been labeled 48. How did you import them into a 44.1 session without converting?
Old 21st July 2005
  #56
Lives for gear
 
blackcom's Avatar
 

Seems like the biggest ****up possible to do in a studio is to run Pro Tools...
What the heck is the point in buying those expensive PT cards when there are cheap horsepower available as AMD or Intel. Seems like you guyes are having a lot of trouble with that system too...

Anyways, what I ment was Pro Tools = ****up fuuck

Just get a Dual Core Intel/AMD, perhaps an UAD or a Powercore and get your work done...Want it stable? -Run Samplitude...doesen't crash.

Oh, biggest ****up I di'd was letting a band to the bass at another studio....christ, it sucked, just muddy untight junk. The "producer over there" allowed bad performance being recorded...and -I- had to mix it.....

The rest of the band where awsome, though!

If you wan't it done properly, do it yourself.
Old 21st July 2005
  #57
Joaquin is spot on with the sample-rate-clock-****-up-fix (from now on referred to as the SRCFUF). But nobody should beat themselves up about not having stumbled to it before. As I said earlier it took me about 18 months before I worked it out.

If I remember I will post my idiots step by step guide to sorting it out in another thread later on.
Old 21st July 2005
  #58
Lives for gear
 
joaquin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb
If you recorded in a 48 session, the files would have been labeled 48. How did you import them into a 44.1 session without converting?
...like my Nike friend said........."Just do it" heh
Old 21st July 2005
  #59
Gear Nut
 

Don't run a "down-and-out" pass pattern when it takes you near the 2-inch machine and your quarterback has less than perfect accuracy - especially when the machine is in high-speed rewind and the football lodges between the reels and the meter bridge acting as a crude mechanical brake, launching your master tape throughout the control room...
Old 21st July 2005
  #60
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump