The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
biamping tannoy dmt 12 mk II's w/ (2) 3b st's?
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

biamping tannoy dmt 12 mk II's w/ (2) 3b st's?

hi all,
has anyone tried biamping tannoy dmt 12 mkIIs with (2) bryston 3bsst's? (or (2) 3b's?)

the room i will be using them in is on smaller side (16x16). since i would be biamping the woofer would get dedicated 120W as would the mid/tweeter.

i would use 4b st's but i have been having a hell of a time getting a hold of them. (been getting hosed on ebay lately ) 3b st's seem easier to come by (not to mention cheaper). i figured two of them would be sufficent power. what do you think?

regards,
electric
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Power wise I think you'll be alright, but sonically I think will depend on how you cross them over and implement them to your room (i.e. stands vs. soffited/depth from walls/ceilings/corrective EQ/room treatment.) I've only heard Tannoy's sound good in two rooms my whole life and they both had custom crossovers. FYI one was non-soffited and Hot House powered and the other was soffited and powered by a Crown Macro Reference. I like the idea of phase align coaxial planes with Tannoy's but I'm left feeling overwhelmed with top/bottom and no mids. Let me know if you figure it out!
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

EngineEars-
i am a little new to the whole biamping thing. is the signal flow to biamping your speakers essentially

console output-->crossover-->crossovr out high-->amp#1-->mid/tweeter input
-->crossover out low--->amp#2--> woofer input

i heard the westlake audio xover was nice. how much do these puppies run? what are other good crossovers out there? i know hothouse makes one too.

electric

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search