The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
best 1073 clone
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

best 1073 clone

whats the best clone out there.. i need to get one this weekend
my number 1 is the wunder audio one but is anything better????

and how about the neve portico? hows it should i add one of those in my vocal chain
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Guru

AMS 1073..Period.
PS: the Wunder is not a 1073 clone.
Originally inspired by a custom one off [Alliotrope?] console[not Neve] made for John Paul Jones
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

It is True, Wunder is not a clone.. but it is inspired by...

Shep destroys them all. We have tried all of them. The Shep SN8s are the best. Not even close.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

I wonder if Fletcher will recite his famous SHEP opinion.

Possibily hates them even more than he hates vintech.
Old 13th July 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal

Wow.... I didn't think that was possible.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

As RoundBadge said…
I think everybody concurs the AMS is the undisputable winner there. I also think there’s no other topic more discussed already than this one. There most been hundreds of posts recorded in the GS archives about 1073 and it’s clones. Nevertheless, it’s always an interesting topic.

Insomnio
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

well its gonna be used with a sony c800 into a crane song trakker to a rosetta 800 just so you can know my vocal chain.

i havent actually had a chance to use the wunder audio peq1. i'm going off the great things others say about it..
i've heard great things about the chandler pre... i just want a 1073 style pre and a clean api or john hardy around.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal

Wow. If someone uses the Shep SN8s and thinks they are less then amazing, they have lost me. They have won many shootouts here with many different engineers.

Try it before you believe anyone who tells you that they don't like it. I can't imagine...
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

I personaly have no opinion as Ive never heard one, just remembering an amusing shep post from fletcher. I actually like vintech myself so straight away im obviously a cloth eared nincompoop.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hard to beat the originals............The Brent Averills are a good second choice IMHO!
Attached Thumbnails
best 1073 clone-1073_7_600.jpg  
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

i did take a look at the bae too... its a hard choice i have to order it within 48hours... budget doesn't matter..
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ah, the magic words, get yourself a rack of 8 AMS/NEVE re-issues then. never look back, 4 of 1073 and 4 1081, or 8 of each.
Old 13th July 2005
what about the 7th circle audio kits? its only the preamp though

http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/SCA.htm
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic
...within 48hours... budget doesn't matter..
AMS 1073 and be done with it.
Then maybe this could go down as the shortest clone thread ever.
heh
Old 13th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
AMS 1073 and be done with it.
Then maybe this could go down as the shortest clone thread ever.
heh
hahaha...I saw a sig on somebody recently that said "Neve clone threads are like playing Stairway to Heaven at the music store" or some ****.

War
Old 13th July 2005

Quote:
i did take a look at the bae too... its a hard choice i have to order it within 48hours... budget doesn't matter..
I doubt that you can get an AMS Neve in a timely manner, as I believe they are back ordered right now... In that case, you should probably go with the Brent Averill....
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
It is True, Wunder is not a clone.. but it is inspired by...

Shep destroys them all. We have tried all of them. The Shep SN8s are the best. Not even close.
told to me personally while sitting with the man. . .

Plush: "What about Shep?"

RN: "oh, well, I wouldn't recommend them----some old Neve factory maintenance guys trying to rip me off."

??
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
told to me personally while sitting with the man. . .

Plush: "What about Shep?"

RN: "oh, well, I wouldn't recommend them----some old Neve factory maintenance guys trying to rip me off."

??
Because Mr. Neve invented the original design, I do not expect him to like modules made by other inspired by his design (that are not paying him royalties). Also, the fact that he has invested interest in other companies doing the same thing, I do not expect him to recommend Shep.
That would be stupid of him, and he obviously aint no dummy!

Whenever someone has a reason or motive to be bias, we must question their intentions.

I have heard things with Mr. Neve's name on it that I find to be sub-par. His opinions are far from gospel to me. No disrespect to him ( I respect him very much ), but I trust my own ears over what anyone tells me.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

so far its in this order:
1-Wunder audio peq1R
2-Chandle limited LTD-1
3-Brent Averill
the ams neve i can't seem to get right now.. i found the new digital one but i wasn't sure about it
Old 14th July 2005

Quote:
1-Wunder audio peq1R
2-Chandle limited LTD-1
3-Brent Averill
the ams neve i can't seem to get right now.. i found the new digital one but i wasn't sure about it
You better hurry up and order something or you won't be having a mic pre this weekend. At this point I would call Wunder and see what their stock status is and how quickly they can get it to you. 2 days of turnaround time is a little short in this industry.... Also, let me know how it works out for you. I have heard good things about that preamp.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

the ltd-1 would be my choice. call mike neera at vintage king and tell him your situation. he is an amazing guy to do business with.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Guru

I'll tell you this only because I own 2 Wunder's and a boatload of original Neves and have used the Chandlers and the BA's a bunch..
If you have to have THE Neve sound in a hurry..Go BA or Chandler[me personally I'd do the chandler,only cause I know it sounds F*ckin great and the EQ is very cool].
Or...If you're open minded and wanna try something a bit different and still very,very cool .....then go Wunder.
I can assure you,the Wunder is not a copy of a Neve.
I can happily say I use both everyday and I'm never dissapointed with the results.
Or if you've already heard the Wunder,then disregard my info and go with what pleases you..
Better hurry though..
alot of this stuff is hand made in little shops and may well be backordered !
happy tracking!

Quote:
1-Wunder audio peq1R
2-Chandle limited LTD-1
3-Brent Averill
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Nut

I haven't used EVERY Neve clone out there but I will say that the Sheps kick serious ass on guitars and drums. One of the studios I use has a rack of 8 and they've always been my go-to choice when I visit that room.
Don't know about sales/manufacturing politics. All I know is I like them.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Because Mr. Neve invented the original design, I do not expect him to like modules made by other inspired by his design (that are not paying him royalties). Also, the fact that he has invested interest in other companies doing the same thing, I do not expect him to recommend Shep.
That would be stupid of him, and he obviously aint no dummy!

Whenever someone has a reason or motive to be bias, we must question their intentions.

I have heard things with Mr. Neve's name on it that I find to be sub-par. His opinions are far from gospel to me. No disrespect to him ( I respect him very much ), but I trust my own ears over what anyone tells me.
RN told me the information I recited above over 15 years ago. At the time he was not associated with any manufacturer. Shortly after that, he joined up with Amek.
I gathered he simply did not have a high opinion of the competancy of the Shep
people. He called them "maintenance men"-- as is plumbers and clean-up boys.

I certainly can tell you that the Neve 1073 DPD is a smoking good Neve mic amp!
Old 14th July 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman
I haven't used EVERY Neve clone out there but I will say that the Sheps kick serious ass on guitars and drums. One of the studios I use has a rack of 8 and they've always been my go-to choice when I visit that room.
Don't know about sales/manufacturing politics. All I know is I like them.
Shep is notorious for being back ordered.... It's highly unlikely he will be able to find any stock and get them before the weekend.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Head
harvestmark

I own both the Wunders & the Neve/AMS 1073's. The Wunder's sound great, but do not sound like the 1073's. If you want the Neve 1073 sound, buy the Neve's.
Mark Miller
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
RN told me the information I recited above over 15 years ago. At the time he was not associated with any manufacturer.
Go here:

http://www.shep.co.uk/shep.htm

Doesn't sound like he was on garbage detail to me.. heh

I am recording a guitar with the sheps right now... Everyone is digging them here!

1968 Marshall Plexi with matching pre rola 4X12 straight cab(sitting on top of 2 piano benches).... Beyer M160... Shep SN8.... Distressor... 2" Tape... .... (then to Pro Tools we go) heh
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Addict

I'd get the 1073...the clones aren't exactly cheap......If you don't like the the 1073(Blasphemy) or ever needed to part ways you could always sell them for what you paid for them.....
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Interesting thing about threads like this...

There are not many people who have had the pleasure of using/hearing a Shep SN8. Therefore, other (more advertised) companies usually garner more sales and in result, more attention in threads. I highly recommend you try the Sheps (if you can find some) before you buy. I have done a shootout with Shep against: Chandler, Wunder, BA, COUNTLESS original 1073s, and maybe a few others I am missing.... (off the top of my head). The Shep's have won every time in every single engineer's opinion that was present. It is, so far, undefeated and undisputed in my shootouts.

The mic pre is strikingly similar (but a tad clearer) to the original, and the eq section is more musical (with more surgical control). Try it if you can. You will thank me later. I consider it to be the best kept secret stike stike stike stike
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

The person who gives the finger to every reader with every post must surely
realize that his opinion and expertise is being heavily discounted.

If you wish to be taken seriously, state your humor in words.

Although I think the home made finger is humorous, I don't need to be flipped off with EVERY post.

Why dontcha save it for a flame?

Good Day,

Plush

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search