The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
best 1073 clone
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Not only that, but it loses it's impact. I laughed the first time, then I kept looking for the vitriol to accompany the finger and now it doesn't even register.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
The person who gives the finger to every reader with every post must surely
realize that his opinion and expertise is being heavily discounted.

If you wish to be taken seriously, state your humor in words.

Although I think the home made finger is humorous, I don't need to be flipped off with EVERY post.

Why dontcha save it for a flame?

Good Day,

Plush
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

going with the chandler to start with boys, thanks a lot.. i'll probably get the wunder later
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic
going with the chandler to start with boys, thanks a lot.. i'll probably get the wunder later
Great choices!
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
The person who gives the finger to every reader with every post must surely
realize that his opinion and expertise is being heavily discounted.

If you wish to be taken seriously, state your humor in words.

Although I think the home made finger is humorous, I don't need to be flipped off with EVERY post.

Why dontcha save it for a flame?

Good Day,

Plush
First off... I don't see a middle finger in any posts on this thread? Am I missing something? In fact, if you are referring to the signature I had for a total of (4) days(!), that was a joke between friends. It was only supposed to be for one post, but then I forgot to remove it. I did not know signatures were automatically attached when you create one. It was my first and only signature to date on gearslutz. It was on maybe 10 of my posts out of 650...

Secondly, I happen to have a great deal of experience with this topic. I have a perspective to add. Unlike you, who is just posting to start this rubbish. It is people like you who add nothing but bitching with the occasional (whack)thumbsup -off to a dealer or manufacturer who visits this forum.

I understand the reason for your unprovoked attack. I nailed you on your facts, so since you could not retaliate with anything intellectual, you chose to go off-topic and try lame insults.

If you were offended by my brief signature (that was not even in this thread) here is another one.... and rest assure, this one is just for you.....

fuuck P fuuck L fuuck U fuuck S fuuck H fuuck .
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sounds like a great plan! Good Luck!!
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

84K---

You "nailed me" on my facts???---Unh hunh
I'm honored to be singled out!

Actually I thought that your signature was hilarious.
I just thought that you might save it for when you are "nailing" someone on their "facts."

Sorry. . .I didn't notice or feel the nail.

Indeed. . . ..

Unh -hunh
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
... budget doesn't matter..
Sounds too good to be true . I´d love to hear that more often.
heh
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
84K---

You "nailed me" on my facts???---Unh hunh
I'm honored to be singled out!

Actually I thought that your signature was hilarious.
I just thought that you might save it for when you are "nailing" someone on their "facts."

Sorry. . .I didn't notice or feel the nail.

Indeed. . . ..

Unh -hunh
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'm interrupting this kitty fight to tell you the best Neve clone is the AMS-Neve 1073dpd that I just rack mounted.

As soon as the tears dry off the unit I'll fire it up.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster
Sounds too good to be true . I´d love to hear that more often.
heh
if it cost 30,000 i could spend it if need be....
Old 28th November 2006
Here for the gear

Vintage Technology CA73...

I have 2 1073 Clones made by Thomas Kristiansson in Sweden. The company is Vintagedesign and the model is the CA73. The great thing about Thomas is his support. You can Email him and he will reply in depth. You can ask for mods on the unit such as cap changes from the original that will add more air in the high end, etc.. The units are hand wired also. My unit was modded that way, and in our AB test using a Neumann 149, everyone, myself a singer, a keyboardist who plays with Elton, and a producer all thought the CA73 to be superior to the original 1073 pair we had, having the same fat rich mid and bass while having a clearer, airier high end. But the CA73 stock is a very close copy of the 1073, but with slighly more accurate, more reliable caps etc.. He also adds a DI stage that is not found in the 1073.

His description is as follows: "Built with high quality components like ELMA goldplated switches, ST'Ives (Carnhill UK) transformers and inductors, only tantaliums, styroflex and polypropaline caps in the signal path. All internal switching with goldplated relays for optimum signal path. Single ended class A signal path with dual input stages, first stage is only switched in when needed(+55 to +80dB gainrange). Illuminated push buttoms. Instrument input with a high impedance fet buffer, fed through the mic transformer to get it's coloration! ( most units connect the instrument jack direct to the inputstage after the transformer)"

The thing about old 1073's, LA-2a's etc. etc.. is yes, the old ones in MINT condition are exceptional, but it is rare to find them that way. Caps in particular are not permanent. The clones sound more like a 1073 when it was new. And IMHO, in general, that is better. Pre's aren't guitars....They don't get better with age unless heavy color is what you are looking for.

Again, I am no expert like many of the serious engineers on this site, and I defer to there experience, and I have not actually tried all the different versions of clones, but I researched this ALOT before I dropped thousands on a 1073 pair, and a Tube pre MASTER designer told me the CA73 was the best one going even amongst the tube pres, and he was right IMHO. They will pry the CA73 out of my dead hands.

Eric

Last edited by lust4lyfe; 28th November 2006 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: additions...
Old 28th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Why did you post a spinning Mercedes emblem?
Old 29th November 2006
Led
Lives for gear

You sunk my battleship.
Old 29th November 2006
Lives for gear

damn yall brought back an old a$$ post...LOL
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Addict

lets bring it back this shep and vintage design thing sounded interesting.

peace
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

I wrote to Geoff Tanner about this: http://www.auroraaudio.net/aa_html/a...ucts_gtq2.html

He said: The "GTQ2 pisses on a 1073 because, unlike most folk cloning them, I know what the design faults were. So I wanted to design something that was better than a 1073 and that would be the only way you could compare it."

Although I wanted a 1073 dpa to be my next pre, I just bought an UA 2108 in mint condition. I had to.
But that GTQ2 is very much in my mind... Have anyone tried it out there?
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Does nobody consider the Rupert Neve Portico preamps to be anything remotely like a 1073? I don't have a 1073 to compare, but my 5012 sounds amazing to me. With the Silk button engaged there is some harmonic warmth, that some reviewers have suggested sounds like a 1073.

Obviously the 1073 has an eq section, and the 5012 doesn't. But the 5032 has eq.

Quote from Phil Grabmiller - Mojo Pie

Quote:
The "Silk" button, which supposedly introduces the "renowned audio circuitry," in fact, engaged a sound very similar to the 1073 I just recently used for recording. It has a very rich low end and slightly scooped midrange with detailed highs. This is the big voice type sound people refer to which is associated with vintage Neve preamps. I don’t really care how Rupert got there. It definitely had the sound I had been looking for. Is it exactly like a 1073? Well, vintage preamps vary from module to module so let's just say it's right there in the ball park. In normal mode it has a very intimate and slightly more transparent sound that I found enjoyable on acoustic guitar and is a more versatile setting for instruments in my opinion.
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Interesting thing about threads like this...

There are not many people who have had the pleasure of using/hearing a Shep SN8. Therefore, other (more advertised) companies usually garner more sales and in result, more attention in threads. I highly recommend you try the Sheps (if you can find some) before you buy. I have done a shootout with Shep against: Chandler, Wunder, BA, COUNTLESS original 1073s, and maybe a few others I am missing.... (off the top of my head). The Shep's have won every time in every single engineer's opinion that was present. It is, so far, undefeated and undisputed in my shootouts.

The mic pre is strikingly similar (but a tad clearer) to the original, and the eq section is more musical (with more surgical control). Try it if you can. You will thank me later. I consider it to be the best kept secret stike stike stike stike
weren't Sheps the first clone? also do the calrec pres mimic the neves?

first time I agree with roundbagde the AMS reissues rock
but they cost as much as a vintage neve so I would just call
vintage king or a similar dealer and buy real ones.

The bottom line is the originals will hold their value better than the clones
thats for sure.
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Addict

Ive used a portico and an ams neve 1073 reissue. The portico had quite a different sound ,i much preffered the 1073 sound but that my humble opinion. But then again i used the portico on this one rapper i tracked and i got a killa sound out of it. It depends how you use it and who you use it on- the same goes for any equipment
Old 6th May 2007
Lives for gear

How does the Telefunken V672 stand with all these preamps?
Please help.
Old 6th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
weren't Sheps the first clone? also do the calrec pres mimic the neves?
Dont know about the Sheps but the early discrete Calrecs, PQ 1061 and 1161, and the Audix 35102 (or xxxx1...I cant remember) were both designed as replacements for BBC spec consoles when Neve got too expensive for them. I believe even the eq points are similar if not the same. The 1161 are great sounding and are reminicent of vintage neves but have their own character. Most noticable to me is better defined bass.
Old 6th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
There most been hundreds of posts recorded in the GS archives about 1073 and it’s clones. Nevertheless, it’s always an interesting topic.

It is? Could have fooled me....

heh
Old 6th May 2007
Lives for gear

Tanner said that his modules piss on 1073s?
Not the style of reponse I would expect from Geoff. Little more like what Fletcher would say. I don't doubt Tanner's units are impoved versions of the 1073, he is very familiar with the problems associated with the design and a very talented eng/ designer himself. Rupert's been talking about orig 1073 design issues for years. No big secret.
Problem is, if you make impovements to the circuit design over the orig 1073 then things change compared to the orig. Some would argue that improved and better may not yield the results and expectations someone who uses orig Neve modules is looking to hear. All of the pres posted here are all capable of making great records in the hand of a capable eng.

I'd love to own some Auroras, some AMS Neve's, Sheps. All would be welcome in my studio.

BTW Wunders are not remotely the same sound as Neve. I have a PAfour. Great sound but very different than Neve.
Old 6th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Tanner said that his modules piss on 1073s?
Not the style of reponse I would expect from Geoff. Little more like what Fletcher would say. I don't doubt Tanner's units are impoved versions of the 1073, he is very familiar with the problems associated with the design and a very talented eng/ designer himself. Rupert's been talking about orig 1073 design issues for years. No big secret.
Problem is, if you make impovements to the circuit design over the orig 1073 then things change compared to the orig. Some would argue that improved and better may not yield the results and expectations someone who uses orig Neve modules is looking to hear. All of the pres posted here are all capable of making great records in the hand of a capable eng.

I'd love to own some Auroras, some AMS Neve's, Sheps. All would be welcome in my studio.

BTW Wunders are not remotely the same sound as Neve. I have a PAfour. Great sound but very different than Neve.
Hi

Oh, I've never claimed to be the definitive English Gentleman! heh

Also, our products are different beasts to original Neve so it's a little more than "improvements" otherwise that's just a clone. We also have a Neve 8028 class A console full of original 1084's and four channels of GTQ2 in the control room so have ample opportunity for us and studio clients to compare. They are some of our best clients...

But, in all honesty, I'd prefer for our products not to be lumped in with the topic of this thread.

Old 6th May 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Geoff, I've shared quite a few pints with english gentleman when on tour in england. Pub talk and the such.
Words spoken and words written are not always the same intent.
As far as your gear, that was my point. It's not a clone. It's because of that, I'm looking into checking some of your pieces out. Kelly.
Old 21st December 2007
Gear Addict

GTQ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
I wrote to Geoff Tanner about this: Aurora Audio

He said: The "GTQ2 pisses on a 1073 because, unlike most folk cloning them, I know what the design faults were. So I wanted to design something that was better than a 1073 and that would be the only way you could compare it."

Although I wanted a 1073 dpa to be my next pre, I just bought an UA 2108 in mint condition. I had to.
But that GTQ2 is very much in my mind... Have anyone tried it out there?
The gtq2 is awesome. I own one. You can not make the mic pre sound bad. It is my bass mic
pre and the DI is stellar. I will never let it go. Geoff always refers to it as the GTQ2 and never
refers to it as a 1073 as far as i know.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search