The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pearlman Mics - experiences/feedback
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Pearlman Mics - experiences/feedback

Has anyone tried the Pearlman TM-1 tube condensor mic............Another U47 ish clone.............I talked to Dave Pearlman today and he was very nice and knowledgable.......he buys the capsoles from Peluso then hand wires them point to point (no circuit board) one by one. He is the only one building these mics.....meaning he has no staff just him.Transformer from Cinemag to his specs..........I am in the market for a U47 ish mic and just wanted to know if anyone has any experiences with the mic and how it would compare to a Peluso 2247 or the Lawson 47MP......................Please no lectures on if you want a U47 go buy a real one.......I know it is not going to be an exact clone but more of the U47 flavor.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio

PS: I dont have the budget for a Korby so dont even mention them.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I've used a perlman TM-1 on a few occasions and can't say enough good things about it. I put it up infront of a male vocalist going into a v72 and a sumitt 100 compressor and was blown away by how good the vocals sounded. I've also heard it used as a mono piano mic and liked what I was hearing. One of my favorite uses for it was as a acoustic guitar mic. I put it around the 12-13thish fret and got a nice bright acoustic sound...as soon as I can get the money together to get a pair I will...hope this helps
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

It's a great mic - very sensitive. Certainly in the range of what those famous old vocal mics will do - I know some people have even preferred his version to an old one. Even the old 47's sound different, but it's very similar to that 47 sound.

But I'd say the price is what makes it amazing, it's half of what most 47 clones sell for. Anything in that category of sound for such reasonable money is worth having.

I do know Dave makes very small production runs and they sell right away. I don't think he advertizes widely for this reason, as the demand is already growing larger than the supply.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Have either of you guys compared them to the Peluso 2247 shortbody or LE. Anybody else out there.Thanks again!
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Nut

I haven't compared them side by side, but I've heard unprocessed recordings of the Peluso and I compared that to my Pearlman. In my opinion the Pearlman comes out on top. Of course, there are a lot of variables in the recording chain and everyone has their own perferences in tonal quality.

I'll probably buy a Peluso 22-251 soon, but if I had only one decent mic I wouldn't stray from my Pearlman. It kicks ass!!!
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

HELLO OUT THERE.....anybody else........so far so good!!!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search