The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Compressor pedal for country/rock'n'roll
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Compressor pedal for country/rock'n'roll

I've got a series of live gigs coming up where I'll be playing with a 4-piece band doing country/very early (clean) rock'n'roll. This is going to be a one sound fits all kind of outfit and I'll be using my Fender Tele into my tweed Deluxe and I want to add a compressor (and possibly a bit of reverb although that's less important).

The sound I'm going for is classic steely twang such as Albert Lee, Ricky Skaggs Live in London - that kind of thing... not that my fingers are quite up to it but I'm sure the comp. makes ALL the difference... NOT..!!!

It's quite important that I can still turn the guitar down between solos and that it actually gets (a bit) quieter when I do that. The only comp. pedal I have in my arsenal right now is an old T.C. Sustainor which absolutely does NOT do that. From memory the Dynacomp is the one to beat but it's been a while since I've played one so this might have changed.

I don't mind what it actually says on the pedal, i.e. I have no need for it to be a 'boutique' pedal. If the Marshall Ed The Compressor does the thing then that's fine by me - you know what I mean. Please help me narrow the suspects-list down a bit before I go out and try all these out.
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by preben
I've got a series of live gigs coming up where I'll be playing with a 4-piece band doing country/very early (clean) rock'n'roll. This is going to be a one sound fits all kind of outfit and I'll be using my Fender Tele into my tweed Deluxe and I want to add a compressor (and possibly a bit of reverb although that's less important).

The sound I'm going for is classic steely twang such as Albert Lee, Ricky Skaggs Live in London - that kind of thing... not that my fingers are quite up to it but I'm sure the comp. makes ALL the difference... NOT..!!!

Jekyll and Hyde ... twang and grit

modded clean it gets better, i'll try and find who did our mod ...
Old 12th July 2005

Let's see - a tele and a tweed deluxe. I think all you need is a channel switch and maybe operating volume knob and pick-up selector...

Why not just go retro? The drive channel will give you some compression if you use a bit of overdrive.

-tINY

Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have thought about going completely retro but I just like the spankiness of a bit of compression... at least in thought. It's more to make the double stops and all that have a bit more of an even bite if that makes any sense.

And I am actually a bit retro already: I'm not planning on doing ANY channel switching of any kind. Everything (which in this case means amp and poss. comp.) is on all the time - the rest of the action comes from the vol. knob and fingers... for better or for worse.
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Analog Man Comprossor or BiComprossor:

http://analogman.com/rossmod.htm

Can't say enough good things about it, Tele to Comprossor to Deluxe or Super Reverb is a match made in heaven....

The Dynacomp reissues suck big time, don't waste your money on that.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 12th July 2005
Lek
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
Analog Man Comprossor or BiComprossor:

http://analogman.com/rossmod.htm

Can't say enough good things about it, Tele to Comprossor to Deluxe or Super Reverb is a match made in heaven....

The Dynacomp reissues suck big time, don't waste your money on that.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Yes - the analogman comprossor (or juicer), or the keeley compressor
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I've heard great things about the Keely Compressor although I've never used one. However, I own one of the new MXR Super comps. It's a Dynacomp with an attack control. It's a pretty good unit. I'm their are better units but it gets the job done.

Brandon
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

I was kinda curious about the Super comp. Also I have read that the old Boss CS2 (and to a lesser extent the CS3) are being used quite a bit in Nashville. Is that correct..?
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was kinda curious about the Super comp. Also I have read that the old Boss CS2 (and to a lesser extent the CS3) are being used quite a bit in Nashville. Is that correct..?
I have 2 compressors on my pedalboard, a Keeley and a Boss CS-2. The Keeley is fairly transparent, while the CS-2 adds a bit of color. I hardly use either, but when I do I tend to use the CS-2 (which is underrated IMO).
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

It's quite important that I can still turn the guitar down between solos and that it actually gets (a bit) quieter when I do that. The only comp. pedal I have in my arsenal right now is an old T.C. Sustainor which absolutely does NOT do that. From memory the Dynacomp is the one to beat but it's been a while since I've played one so this might have changed.

I don't mind what it actually says on the pedal, i.e. I have no need for it to be a 'boutique' pedal. If the Marshall Ed The Compressor does the thing then that's fine by me - you know what I mean. Please help me narrow the suspects-list down a bit before I go out and try all these out.
I use a DBX 160x. Some country studio guys use them. Robben Ford (blues player)
gets a great tone using the 160
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

The Carl Martin comp/limiter is king of country thumbsup
It does chicken as well as slow americana

ruudman
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Actually the RNC from FMR Audio works really well. The downside, it does not have a switch to turn on and off. You could rig something up however.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Analogman Bi-Comp
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

For a gig like that I would use the boss compressor (it's blue, can't remember the model) or mxr dynacomp.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

I agree that the boss comp is underrated. I prefer it to the dynacomp, though the mxr isn't bad. I personally try never to squash my gtr signal before the amp. For me it's subtle or none at all.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

I had a Keeley, but I replaced it with THIS:

(I also play a Tele and have a Vox but I'm looking to add a vintage Fender Tweed to my arsenal)

Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Yes on the analogman bi-comp pedal. You'll be glad you did.

Totally different set of ideas though if you wanted a rack mount unit...
but for pedals....Mike is tha man.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Maniac

WD orange squeezer.
resolder the connections.
there's volume and compression trimpots inside that U set and forget.
a one trick pony, but that one trick is EXACTLY what Ur lookin' fer.
Old 13th July 2005
Here for the gear

hay guys whats the real differance between the tweed deluxe and the deluxe reverb 2 from the 80's. These 80's amps are very sort afther. I was about to buy the tweed but these deluxe reverbs keep getting mentioned. Besids the tremolo
whats the tone differance
Thanks
Az
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Check out a Barber Tone Press.
Boutique sound but priced around $100.
Has a blend control which allows you to blend back in your uncompressed sounds to keep a nice attack.
Super Versatile
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
I had a Keeley, but I replaced it with THIS

That's one clean script-logo Dynacomp! I have one too, albeit in lesser condition. I actually like the Keeley better.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

For country music, the Orange Squeezer is the way you want to go and this is the best existing pedal in that style:

http://www.pedaldoctor.com/TangerineSqueeze.html

It cannot be beat for telecasters. I own a blonde '52 tele with barden pickups and they are ideally matched to the tangerine squeeze. (Just to be clear, I don't play country music, however. Far from it. But the Tangerine Squeezer is one of the most "Nashville" oriented compressor pedals out there. It makes me want to play Lyle Lovett riffs. And he's from Texas, go figure...)

--- c
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

The Carl Martin is indeed the King of Country. The Hellecasters all use them, and they are fantastic.

For something dirtier I like the Homebrew Electronics Compressor Retro.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot for your responses so far guys.

Great place this: you go to bed and then when you wake up all the US-boys have been at it all 'night' so there's load new posts ... whehey...

I'll go down to the West End and possible down to Chandler Guitars and see if I can check some of these devices out hands on, but it's great to have more of an idea of what to look for.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

A second on the advice that the Keeley is pretty clean - I've been gigging with just the Keeley Comp and a Teese Picture wah (Funk, R&B band). Many times, I don't get the grit I need. Now a keeley comp with a keeley TS-9 and a captain coconut II - very nice lead tone there, but lots of money and lots of pedals on the floor.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Forgot to say, I use a tele w/Fralins into either a Vox AC-30 or a Pearce G1, anywho, I would pass on the Keeley maybe try the Orange Thingy - Vince Gill has a wonderful tele sound.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya
For country music, the Orange Squeezer is the way you want to go and this is the best existing pedal in that style:

http://www.pedaldoctor.com/TangerineSqueeze.html

It cannot be beat for telecasters. I own a blonde '52 tele with barden pickups and they are ideally matched to the tangerine squeeze. (Just to be clear, I don't play country music, however. Far from it. But the Tangerine Squeezer is one of the most "Nashville" oriented compressor pedals out there. It makes me want to play Lyle Lovett riffs. And he's from Texas, go figure...)

--- c
damn, i have 2 WD orange squeezers and an original dan armstrong. they are fairly impractical for live use and are constantly in some state of disrepair.
THIS pedaldoctor thing looks fierce. the clean tele sample on the website has the orange squeezer vibe ALL over it. thanx fer posting the link SS, i'm buyin' one NOW!!!
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Why anyone on earth would want to compress their guitar signal on its way to the amp is completely beyond the grasp of my feeble, THC saturated mind.

If you want compression on your guitar, tell the sound guy to add it at the board. This can help bring out some of the more delicate passgaes.

You DO NOT want to F with the attack of your 6 string mojo multiplier!!!!!

Compression in front of the amp???? I don't care if its an EFFING FAIRCHILD No way man, NO WAY!!!!
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

This thread pisses me off so much I had to post twice.

dfegad guitar compressor pedals

Apologies.

I will go and hide now.

Carry on your constructive discussion.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Another vote for the Robert Keeley compressor. The Boss compressor collects dust on my shelf. The RK lets me play with less overdrive and get more tone. And he's a great guy to do business with. www.robertkeeley.com

Also had my Tubescreamer modded by him. He uses audiophile components that really let the sound come through instead of sounding thin. Can't recommend him enough.

P

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search