The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Los Angeles studios
Old 15th January 2006
Lives for gear

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles%2C_California

Quote:
Crime
The COMPSTAT unit of the LAPD tabulates Part I offenses (violent and property crimes) committed in the city. Los Angeles has been experiencing significant decline in Part I offenses since the mid 1990s hitting a record low in 2004. Criminality peaked in 1992 with 72,667 recorded acts of violence (1,096 homicides) and 245,129 recorded property crimes. In 2004, there were 31,245 recorded violent crimes of which 518 were homicides. The distribution of homicides in the city is uneven with nearly half of such crimes occurring in the four stations of the South Bureau of the LAPD encompassing South Los Angeles and the Harbor area. A further quarter occur in the areas covered by the Central Bureau which covers Downtown and its environs. Property crimes were three times more common than violent crimes; 90,374 were recorded in 2004. Gangs are also present in the city, as well as car chases, but aggressive steps have been taken to eliminate them completely. When compared to other large cities, Los Angeles fares relatively well with a total crime index lower than that of San Francisco, Chicago, and Boston.
And for those who don't know, South LA and Harbor area are Gang infested hoods. It's where Compton & Watts is and where all the LA riots have started.

Fleaman
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman
Jim, what part of LA did you live in? I myself live in the Silverlake / Los Feliz area and at this point in my life, I wouldn't live anywhere else in LA. I've lived just about everywhere, SF Valley, SG valley, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Santa Monica, Manhattan, Redondo, etc.,..even Carlsbad (ok, that was only for about 2 months).

The point is, there is a part of LA for just about anyone not rejected by the Big City life. You want Beach? You want Dessert? You want San Francisco style? Skyscraper living? Sub-burbs w/SUV's, pool and 3 car garage? Or maybe the bling of Sunset strip or the Flaming West Hollywood or Beverly Hills or...you get the idea.

I prefer the slower (Slightly) east side of Silverlake where I spent most of my life. Now it's all trendy here and bohemian and artsy, but it's still got its head on and there is no bling here and get to walk to all my necessary stores (market, Trader Joe's, 3 video stores, liquor, sushi, restaurants, and even a music club).

Are there too many people in LA? Hell yeah. Would I like 1/2 of them to leave like Jim? Hell Yeah.
Could you say that about any big City?

Hell Yeah.

Fleaman
We must be neighbors! 3 blocks from the same spots...

I second the opinion that east side silverlake/los feliz is the best spot in LA... still reasonably affordable and loads of fun. great eateries, record stores, bars, shops, etc... When I landed here, I looked all over the place, and wound up with a slammin guest house in the hills for half the money of my previous place in NYC. Granted, having and insuring a car in LA ate up some of the difference, but totalling cab rides, laundry bills, etc in NY was quite a number!

Ryan Hewitt
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaccess

I second the opinion that east side silverlake/los feliz is the best spot in LA... still reasonably affordable and loads of fun. great eateries, record stores, bars, shops, etc... When I landed here, I looked all over the place, and wound up with a slammin guest house in the hills for half the money of my previous place in NYC. Granted, having and insuring a car in LA ate up some of the difference, but totalling cab rides, laundry bills, etc in NY was quite a number!

Ryan Hewitt
Sounds like it.

Can't beat Spaceland on Monday nights either....in fact, I'll be there tomorrow.

Eastside music clubs, while small in # (3-5 of them?), kick the **** out of the Hollywood BS band clubs....especially the West Hollywood ones.

Then again, I'm an Eastside Snob and a spoiled one at that.

Fleaman
Old 6th January 2007
Gear Addict

Why have kids?????

On the whole, I enjoyed my time in L.A. and accomplished things that probably would not have been possible outside a major market (gold, platinum, Grammy, major TV and movie work). I also hated certain things about it. Though I was conflicted about leaving (my wife really wanted to get started on having a family before we were too old, and didn't want to raise children in L.A.), I have to say I'm enjoying the slower pace, cheaper rent, nature, fresh air, and more genuine people outside the city. Having a child and getting older changes one's priorities. I say save up your pennies (you really need to arrive with cushion) and go to L.A. while you're young. Make a big splash, and make a plan for getting out when it's family time.
www.studiometronome.com

jayfrigo
View Public Profile
Visit jayfrigo's homepage!
Find More Posts by jayfrigo

9th January 2006, 08:02 AM #76
music friend
Gear Head

Posts: 58 I'm really not trying to sound like a dick, but I think alot of the bad rap LA has gotten has alot to do with people

Response to above>?
Funny .....I am 40 and dont want or plan on haing kids!!!! Music Is my life!!!! People complain about the traffic and cost of living????Why because everybody thinks they have to have kids??????? Its OK to be artistic ALL your life peoples.....
Dont have to keep over populating the world... It is ok to live for ones self! And be self full.......
Old 6th January 2007

Northwest of Boston with a 323 area code. That's awesome. You did it Jay, you got out alive. Congrats!

James
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaccess View Post

I second the opinion that east side silverlake/los feliz is the best spot in LA...
Hey guys, I've got a house in Atwater Village, just across the bridge from you guys. Down at Los Feliz and Edenhurst Ave. The Bigfoot Lodge, The Roost, and L.A. Bread are all within a block. We should hang at Spaceland sometime...

Jim Williams listens to too much AM shock-jock radio, methinks. Some of the right-wing sound bites he parrots would be hilarious, if they weren't so mean spirited.

Anyway, I drive an M3 with a very stiff suspension and expensive, fragile tires all over LA everyday (50k miles on it in 2.5 years) no problem ( exept for 1 door ding). I don't own a gun, and non of my friends or clients owns or talks about guns. My clients are movie industry or 30+ year old singer/songwriters, so that helps. I don't get chased by mobs of immigrants (in fact, I hang out, eat, drink and play salsa music with them every week!) I own an industrial building that never gets tagged or has any crime problems. I may be the luckiest guy alive, or maybe, just maybe, I intelligently picked appropriate spots to live and work, and chose a market with solid clients.

I could see this city as being a hell-hole, but you'd really have to try to make it that way.

Greg

Old 6th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post
I could see this city as being a hell-hole, but you'd really have to try to make it that way.

Greg

I've lived everywhere and I think Hollywood's great. I've made the best friends of my life here, people who will go thru thick and thin with you. Maybe it's becasue I'm looking for the good, I don't know. I find there are so many people in Cali a million miles from home that you have to do the best you can to etch out a good life for yourself without family around. It can be hard and lonely and the music business out here can be bindblowly hard to penatrate but I find that's what makes this place so special. If you can make it here you can make it anywhere...or is that New Jersay...lol LA's my home and I'm proud of this town and the people who live here. It takes balls to make it out here.
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

There are two kinds of people in LA. The first is the motivated, dedicated, hard working type who make it and love it here. The second are the ones who hate it here because they aren't motivated or who gave up when they didn't make it in the first fifteen seconds.

Besides from the amazing nightlife, the beautiful women, the plethora of fellow musicians, and the beautiful women, Southern CA has fantastic weather and great food.
Old 6th January 2007

And beautiful women.heh
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

...and beautiful woman.

Actually Steve, that's a pretty acurate despcription of LA. Coudn't agree more.

James, I love you too!!!!
Old 6th January 2007

You guys should see the trim in front of the studio every night of the week. Insane! They are turning the east end of Hollywood into the best club scene in all of LA. I went to West Hollywood last week for a clients gig and it had way less energy then the east end has now. There are like 50 clubs within 2 blocks of the studio, it's a Paris Hilton kinda scene... Heavy duty squirrel huntin'
Old 7th January 2007
Gear Guru

Oh yeah! heh

And plenty of business if you're a plastic surgeon.
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Driving up Melrose on a Saturday afternoon, en route to the studio, ain't nothin' to sneeze at either!!!
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Oh yeah! heh

And plenty of business if you're a plastic surgeon.
Sure it does exist, but I don't think it's any different from anywhere else in the country. Just more people here and it gets a lot more media glamorization than elsewhere.

I see way more people who are genuinely interested and diligent about staying fit. More so, than I do with the ones interested in plastic surgury.

For the large majority of the population, who work within the entertainment indusrty, it's their job to stay in shape. And people out here take their work very seriously. There's a lot of good spirited people here. But no one is here just f**king around. At least, not in our circles.
Old 7th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Northwest of Boston with a 323 area code. That's awesome. You did it Jay, you got out alive. Congrats!
A revival of old threads...

I kept the same cell phone with the 323 number to ease the transition since everybody had that number. The worst thing is when clients call and the number doesn't work anymore. That's a sure fire way to lose some work. There is indeed an east coast home number and east coast studio number now, but I still primarily use that 323 cell because everybody still calls it.

jslstrat,
That's cool if you don't want to have kids. I have no regrets having one though. She's a constant source of joy. If I didn't care about a family, I would have happily stayed. But you know, there's more to life than work, and the rewards since I've left have been great. I feel more creative in my new surroundings, I'm busier than ever, and heck, probably one of the biggest names on my credit list is Alice in Chains which I did after I left L.A.

p.s. James, could you fix jslstrats quote formatting? It's an odd read as it stands now. Thanks.
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Having moved from Boston to LA, I must say, the people here are pretty freakin' nice, too. I keep expecting people to act like a jackasses in tense situations, but it doesn't happen. Years of conditioning in Boston, I guess!

I'm still getting traction professionally, but one thing's clear: There's a sh*tload of opportunity here. If you have a good game, and can sell yourself, there's alot of thing's happening...

As for the traffic, I haven't found it particularly 'bad', it's just unrelenting... It just goes on and on, oceans of traffic. There's no suburbs or free-flowing arteries that offer any repose...

And good gawd, the women...
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Yikes!

40% of people "Carry a gun"? Or just own one? Are you just making that up or is this a real statistic? Maybe in south central I could even imagine coming close to that percentage.

BTW, I'm a "Non-Citizen", not sure if I'm "Running the Show" as you say, but I am sure that as a legal resident alien, I pay my state and federal taxes, had to sign up for the draft when I turned 18 and have never been arrested...or even fired from a job. Not to mention that since I'm not a Citizen, I can't vote for ****....so that part of "Running the show" is at least taken away from me.

I hope I have a good page in your book to lay in Jim.

Look, L.A. is a friggin HUGE city. With Huge cities there are huge #'s of people. ****, there's a good 15 Million + in the larger metro L.A. area. Lately we have been having a rash of car shootings almost every day for a few weeks, but it was unusual, hence the immense news coverage. When you factor that a car shooting will be the top news story if it happens in an area that is populated by 15 Million people, you have to look at the statistics per person. BTW, in 2004 we had 36 fwy shootings…hardly a one-a-day-for-a-year statistic. For this year, up to May 1st, there were 11 fwy shootings with 2 fatalities (nothing like the internet for quick research!). Not to mention that random fwy shootings like this tend to be committed by maybe the same 1 or 2 people or group (with the exception of the road rage shootings).
Jim, lay off the 24hr news coverage.

I've lived here most of my life (probably a good 30+ years in L.A.) and have certainly seen changes...good and bad. Heck, if I was as disappointed as Jim, I would leave too. For that, I commend Jim, no one should live anywhere the don't want to.

I've also seen a major decline in the Hollywood area....that part of L.A. has been declining for years....with the exception of the better off folks in the expensive hills. Traffic in Hollywood has really gotten tremendous too. Too much development in the Megaplexes/malls/shops/disneyland crap...and not enough streets to handle the traffic. Good for business, bad for residents.

One thing is for sure: There are still nice places in L.A. to live, but they are getting harder to find and more expensive to live in. I think I live in one of those fortunate areas that is metro, but clean, relatively safe (for a city) and has the community spirit going on. I walk to my stores and find life pleasant and bohemian like, if you will.

Jim seems to be exaggerating a bit, or is at least truly enraged by the changes going on. I went to public school here but wasn't left behind, I've lived in Latin American countries, but don't speak spanish.

As for those that can't sell their properties: It's not for lack of profit potential. Unless your home is truly in the Ghetto, you're sitting on a goldmine...$300k+ at the minimum, $500k + as the average. Those prices aren’t at that level 'cos people are leaving in a mass exodus. In fact, I actually would wish a million or so would move out and bring property prices back down to realistic levels. Yes Jim, I'm looking to buy in a year or 2 when prices should come down a bit, I'm staying for good.

Actually Jim, If you know anyone with a medium size project studio/live-in potential that wants to "get out", I have $$$ to help them in their Escape from L.A.!

(That's a serious request BTW).

And yes, Like Jim says, your mileage will vary....just showing that I get different mileage than Jim.

All is good.

Fleaman
Fleaman,

I just took a gig in LA and am apt hunting for my family (1 year old). Is culver City a nice place? Or any places near by that you would want to live?
Thanks!
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Culver City is cool.

Plus they have a ton of great restaurants. It's not far from my place.
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
Culver City is cool.

Plus they have a ton of great restaurants. It's not far from my place.
Picksail,
I took a job at NPR west in Culver City. What's a good area to look for Apts. I need a 2 BR in decent & quiet (at night) neighborhood for my 14 month old.
Thanks for the reply, I'll have to check out your studio!
Old 7th January 2007
Gear Guru

Culver City is pretty close to the airport, that could be good or bad. You have to figure out where you will be working, how often you want to go to the beach, and very importantly, what your budget for housing is. Riding my bike up and down the coast was one of my favorite LA pastimes.

I have a little experience there as I have lived in Hollywood (two locations), North Hollywood, Universal City, Encino, Van Nuys (two locations), Woodland Hills, West LA, Redondo Beach (South Bay), and Westminster (Huntington Beach). It's been a while, though, I last lived there in the mid 90's.
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Culver City is pretty close to the airport, that could be good or bad. You have to figure out where you will be working, how often you want to go to the beach, and very importantly, what your budget for housing is. Riding my bike up and down the coast was one of my favorite LA pastimes.

I have a little experience there as I have lived in Hollywood (two locations), North Hollywood, Universal City, Encino, Van Nuys (two locations), Woodland Hills, West LA, Redondo Beach (South Bay), and Westminster (Huntington Beach). It's been a while, though, I last lived there in the mid 90's.
Rob,

I miss riding bikes. I'm glad there's a place to do it. I can afford 15-1600 a month. I would really like to ride a bike or walk to work.
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Don,

When you come in town again, give me a call. I'll help you out.
Old 7th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Rob,

I miss riding bikes. I'm glad there's a place to do it. I can afford 15-1600 a month. I would really like to ride a bike or walk to work.
The last place I lived was West LA right near Santa Monica, an easy bike to the beach. Our 2 bedroom apartment was about 1400 a month, but that was 1995.
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fleaman,

I just took a gig in LA and am apt hunting for my family (1 year old). Is culver City a nice place? Or any places near by that you would want to live?
Thanks!
It's really hard to determine what kind of neighborhood you might like....I myself am pretty picky and kind of an eastside snob...although I do know culver city a little bit as I went to school for a little bit next door to culver city.

Culver city isn't bad at all....in fact, it seems to be one of the up and coming areas that is still a little bit affordable (relative…as housing has really shot up in L.A.). My bandmate lives there now and it is a rather centrally located area...meaning it's fairly easy to get to the beach/santa monica, etc., and into hollywood. I would say that Culver city is a good start for you...don't sign a long lease and when you get to know L.A. a little better, you can move if you like.

I myself am a wh*o*re for the eastside (silverlake, los feliz, echo park, etc.), so for me I ONLY want to live there....it's rather perfect for me.
Old 7th January 2007

I think Culver's pretty cool. I play at a club called Joxer Daly's from time to time. But you got to see for yourself.
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Rob,

That figure should get you a comfortable place in Culver City. Check out craigslist...there usually is a bunch of ads with pictures.

I'm lucky to be able to walk to just about everything for survival in my neighborhood. When the property market crashes in the next few years, I'll be working on a live-in studio situation....then life will be perfect
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, real-estate is out of control here.

A house around the corner from me just sold for $1.2 million...it is only 1,800 square feet at that.
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
Yeah, real-estate is out of control here.

A house around the corner from me just sold for $1.2 million...it is only 1,800 square feet at that.
It will all be changing.

The nationwide median house price dropped 10% from Sep. '05 to Sep. '06. That's the largest 1 year drop in 36 years.

And that is the national average. The national median price only went up like 60% in 6 years? I think it when up about 120%+ in So. California in 6 years. It’s an accepted fact that properties are 50% overvalued here. Rents are about ½ of the equivalent mortgage payment. It's sad to think it, but rents are a bargain to purchasing at this time.

So if there was a 10% drop on the national median price, imagine what's gonna happen here in the next few years.

It's only JUST STARTED
Old 7th January 2007
Lives for gear

Which is why we elected to rent for a bit and hold out for the bottom to drop.
Old 7th January 2007
Gear Guru

Isn't McCabe's in Culver City? I've seen Himmelman play there a few times.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search