The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Los Angeles studios
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang
So after 9 hour mix sessions, its good to go have a beer and sing some Karaoke at Barneys and stare at some fake tits.
...and he means Barney's Beanery, not Barneys New York!

Yeah, the other thing as far as 'dating' is concerned is that you don't have to have money in order to get your fair share; there are plenty of really, really rich guys driving up and down Sunset Plaza and driving those really expensive Cobra replicas; they tend to gross out most of the girls you really wanna hang out with. Many are young and still 'gross'. After being hit on by guys like that all day, they're more than happy to talk to simple 'band guys'.

You learn something really fast in L.A.: that guy in the dirty T-shirt will likely be on a billboard on Sunset next month.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Another thing to learn is the extreme difference between the 'Eastside' and the 'Westside' as far as general class attitudes, mostly manifested at a club or bar 'scenes'.

If you pull up to your typical West-side hot spot in a $900 econo-box jalopy and park in plain view of the patrons, most will look at you like "who the hell is this guy?". Pull up in a $70k Bimmer/Benz, etc. and people will be like 'Wow', this is the man, your cool, you got it going on.

You will just about never see a $70k car pull up to an East-side hot spot as most of those patrons would just about frown on it. They will think you’re a show off and essentially think you should go back to the Westside. Not that there aren't patrons that have cars like that, but they leave them in the Garage out of embarrassment when going to an East-side happening.

Pull up to an Eastside bar/club in a $900 econo-box and you'll fit right in. It's that bohemian starving artist look, you're cool man

I guess it's snobbery in a different way....but I'll take Eastside snobbery over Westside style snobbery any day.

Oh, and plastic titties (which I can't stand myself): That's a Westside thing, you'll just about never see them on the Eastside.

YMMV.

Fleaman
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Nut

If you're on the outside, don't judge LA by the Sunset Strip/Hollywood sleaze scene. A lot of Angelinos (sounds like some on here too), never venture east of Highland Ave. There are many hidden worlds and cool, down to earth people in this vast wasteland. It just takes time to find them.

For what it's worth, most of the truly innovative and relevant artists/musicians/engineers/producers/etc that I know of are working out of small studios on the east side and downtown and surrounding areas. The feeling seems to be that Hollywood is a fun place to visit, but they don't want to feel like part of that whole scene. Myself included. There is a way of working with and within the "industry" without having to surround yourself with wannabe actor slime and silicon playboys driving Hummers.

The bright side is this: there are so many ****ing *********s here that if you are reasonably clever and determined (some skills would help too, but not required), then the opportunity to compete and win abounds. Everywhere.

peace to my westside brothers. heh
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Nut

Don't belive all the bad stuff about LA. I have lived here for 7 years and came from the countryside of Southern England. So totally different enviroment.

I love living in LA. LA is a city as good as you make it. It is full of seriously talented people, there are great live bands to see and pretty much every touring act will show up in LA at some point.

The weather means you can always get out and make the most of it. Just out side of LA there are amazing mountains, great skiing and snowboarding. Some of the most beautiful areas are only short drives out of LA. There are amazing beaches and most of the time the water is clean. Pretty much every time I go to the beach I see Dolphins or seals. A few months ago I got to see a whale only 40 yds off the beach.

You find the areas and locations you like and those become your hangs. The areas you don't like or don't fit in you never need to go to!

Yes you need money and a car but LA has opportunities and energy.

And all us normal folks we take great amusement from watching the hollywood types, LA is definetly one of the best places for people watching.

see you at the beach or Rock and roll Ralphs
Old 16th July 2005
LA..

Hmm... Expensive, expensive,expensive. I would really like to know where you guys are finding *2* bedrooms for $1500. I just help two friends move and they couldn't find a decent 1 bedroom for under $1600. One more vote for traffice that sux. Also it is a place with a LOT of wannabeez!! But I'm only repeating what you've read already.. Nice girls, great place for work (production, musicians, etc.) I moved here 11 years ago, been on some very successful records, tours, etc. I definitely have a love/hate thing for LA.
Love the work, weather, the kool people, and the "healthy" competition. Hate the people that smile in your face with a knife headed towards your back. Hate the people who try to pinch you (like some mafia boss) for what they didn't work for (another level of the business, if you do stuff that can get notice to the wrong eyes. Some people may never come across this situation but I know PLENTY successful people who have) Hate the questions "what have you done?" "Who have you worked with?" etc. (Which I always play down) I've had people treat me one way and then when they found out some things I've done, change their whole game.. PHONY!!

So for the most part I chill with my wife and a few friends who I've known for some time. When my baby arrives (sept) I will wait a few years and move somewhere for her to grow up... Just my opinion..
T.

Old 16th July 2005
Man this whole thread makes NYC sound not so bad after all. heh
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Due to the property value explosion, rents have just about doubled in the last 5 years. Average home values have gone up 113% in 3 years time (just saw it on the local news!).

Yeah, today rents/properties are out of control. It's gone up elsewhere too, but L.A. is one of the hottest...if not THE hottest property market in the nation. Maybe only South Beach Florida is hotter (in temps too heh ).

But with this explosion, the dive will probably be fairly severe. There are those that disagree with me, they think the market will sustain or only just flatten out, but I'm not the only one that thinks there’s a big dip on the horizon ahead.

Fleaman
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Here is an example of how rents have gone up. I had a one bed on Whitsett and Magnolia in Valley Village, I got that apt back in 99 or 2000 and was paying $690 When I left in 2002, they refinished the floors and were getting $1100. If anyone knows the area there right behind Rite Aid, its not bad but not impressive. Hell, the wall unit AC didnt even cool the place down.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart
I left last year, here are some facts:

**** 1 bedroom apt where you can expect any crime under the sun will run no less than $1,200 - if you're lucky.
Where are you getting that? I have friends who live a football's throw from the beach for that price.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drundall
Where are you getting that? I have friends who live a football's throw from the beach for that price.
A 1 bdrm ? Today?

Are you sure that's not due to them being there for a few years?

Even 1 year past prices would be quite a bit different than today.

Fleaman
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Maniac

i've got a really big studio apartment three blocks from the beach in santa monica and it's less than $1200--- you just have to be patient. granted, i'm probably moving to altadena because i can split a two bedroom house with a backyard for $675 and still be close enough to the places i need to get to for gigs, etc.

just thought i'd give an example.

nick
Old 16th July 2005
There's real work, of course -- but the competition for it is fierce.

A lot of the work that keeps the doors open comes from wannabes and demo kings... there are so many bands that come here to "make it" -- and then so many suburban/daddy's garage bands on top of it -- so it can at times be depressing to work on crap music and then have to think of a way to be honest when they turn around and ask you what you think.

And, now, as others have pointed out, even outlying cities that used to be famous for their affordability are getting expensive. We're not up to NYC rents, yet, by a stretch, but LA has surpassed San Francisco as the most expensive town on the west coast. And day-job wages are not great, by any stretch. That's why across so. Cali, so many families double (and sometimes triple) up, whole families jammed into tiny bedrooms.

One thing that's fairly odd is that there can often be little money gap between spithole neighborhoods and decent ones... but people with no or bad credit are pretty much ghettoized.

Did I mention how competitive it is for both recording work and crummy dayjobs, both? (See, the two Bushes are the only Republican presidents who didn't carry California -- going all the way back past Hoover -- and that seems to have made both of them do everything they can to twist the knife on us. Even many Republicans hate the Bushes, here. Just ask me. Sorry to bring up politics -- but you can't talk about quality of life in California without talking about the Bush dynasty vendetta against the state.)
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Man this whole thread makes NYC sound not so bad after all. heh

yeah... i'm now counting my blessings... high rent here, but NO CAR, car insurance, gas, maintenence.... total money saver. and the girls in NYC.... crazy hot.

im not sure what the studio situation is in austin texas, but if youre young, single and around 21-24, that place is the best city on earth.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

You can find plenty of 2 bedrooms in West Hollywood for about 1500. Check Westside rentals. I love this place.. went to a party and an hour and a few drinks later I'm in my rental car playing blackline tunes for music execs. That never happened in Boston.

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman
A 1 bdrm ? Today?

Are you sure that's not due to them being there for a few years?

Even 1 year past prices would be quite a bit different than today.

Fleaman
Nope.

1 bdrm $1300.

Price is unchanged.

Redondo Beach, beautiful area.
Old 18th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
but people with no or bad credit are pretty much ghettoized.
HAhahahaha I love that word.. I'm gonna see what I can do to get it in the new webster and maybe I could get a finders fee?

T.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

that last freeway shooting in duarte was riight near my house and 5 years ago they killed the guy that ran the 7 eleven down on the corner
and i live in the good area but these greeps have cars..
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Nut

I lived in L.A. for three years . . . moved to Austin over a year ago . . . I can say this: I had some fantastic misadventures there. If you want to be involved in the music industry . . . you should spend some time, at some point, in L.A. or N.Y.C. I made some great connections. It really can be wonderful . . . and terrible. But we'll start with some of the great things (more specific than the climate or mountains, or beaches): 1. John Brion at Largo every Friday night. 2. Star Wok (fantastic orange chicken, great prices & service on the corner of Lankershim & Riverside in Noho.) 3. Topanga Canyon . . . cool drive out of the valley to Malibu 4. Being in the thick of damn near everything that's happening in the film or music business. That's just a start . . . OK now some of the terrible: 1. Parking, holy **** . . . all the ****s that escaped the allied forces after the war are working in L.A. parking enforcement. 2. Traffic, It's just as bad as everyone says 3. Driving . . . it's not just the parking, and the traffic . . . insurance is a fortune, as is registering your car . . . you absolutely NEED a reliable car . . . and hell is the valley DMV. 4. Work . . . no matter what your experience, you will most likely be hired at a studio as a runner . . . and be paid minimum wage. Avoid The Record Plant at all costs.

As far as cheap rent . . . try the valley. We had a large three bedroom (relatively nice as well in North Hollywood) and only spent 1200 a month. Get some cool roomates and split the rent . . . much cheaper.

These are just a few thoughts based on my experience . . . overall, I had the time of my life . . . and the connections I made there have since far overshadowed any hardships I endured (my brother was taken to jail for sawing a boot off his car . . . but that's another story). thumbsup

Justin
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Los Angeles

I spent 28 years in LA. I got out. It is truly the cesspool of America.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

haha wow sawing a boot of a car that is classic!
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Im also thinking about moving in about 9 months. What can you rent a cheap studio for there? I pretty much just need a room to rent out 6 weeks at a time. I'd have all my own equipment, so just a workable room..

I personally love LA, the weather and the girls make everything else worthwhile..
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I've lived in LA for 28 years (from the Midwest) and love it. In my experience, it is an extremely diverse and interesting city. 40% of the folks in LA carry guns?! Please....

If you are a nervous caucasian, you can always move out to the Thousand Oaks area where it is the "safest city in the U.S." Of course, then you will deal with the brutal traffic.

LA is like a lot of cities in that it is what you make it. The advantage out here is all the opportunities in the music, film, and TV world. The weather is terrific (if that is what you are in to) there are beaches, mountains, valleys and hills all within 45 minutes and because of the diversity out here, amazing restaurants and different cultural elements.
You can even hang out in Hollywood and check out all the different levels of 'excitement/sleaze' that you desire. A Christian? Hey there's the Crystal Cathedral.

Yeah, there are a lot of 'Hollywood' types out here, but 95% of them haven't been out here very long and will be leaving soon complaining about how LA sucks. Of course a little success and those types are even more obnoxious!

The drag out here is the cost of owning a home, traffic if you commute and finding good public school options if you have kids.

There are a lot of great cities in the U.S. LA is very high on that list in my opinion....
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut

I'm from Holland and lived in L.A. for three years, (I was studying Guitar and Recording Engineer) And then moved back to Holland because I don't have a green card so I can not work in the U.S
I got robed from al my studio gear at gunpoint and yes the cops came to my app after 20 minutes after th 911 call (I lived in Hollywood where the cops are on every corner). So the cops really don't care..
Anyway I still want to move back to L.A., I think it's a magical place, lots of opertunities for musicians, (more than in Holland) and the studio's are really nice! there is a lot of great vintage gear in the studio's and I just love Griffith Park Observatory, there's some great Tattoo store's, strip clubs and your in the center of most of the major record labels
I really love L.A. and if I could work there I would move back there without hessitation,
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradb
im not sure what the studio situation is in austin texas, but if youre young, single and around 21-24, that place is the best city on earth.
IMO the studio situation here in A-town sucks...unless you are an artist. Every bozo with a 001, some cracked plug-ins and a spare room in his/her place of dwelling calls themselves a studio, and all their musician friends accept that. But as Lemme said so eloquently, "You may never make a living in the music business, but you just might make a killing." The quality of lifestyle here far outweighs the negatives of the cutthroat studio business here.
Old 20th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson
IMO the studio situation here in A-town sucks...unless you are an artist. Every bozo with a 001, some cracked plug-ins and a spare room in his/her place of dwelling calls themselves a studio, and all their musician friends accept that. .

Its pretty much like that everywhere.

Here in NYC its incredibly bad.

Its pretty much made the existance of a legitimate midlevel studio a running joke.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Cool tread. I'm thinking about moving out to LA myself. I've lived in Columbus my whole life and the girls have horrible attitudes and the winters make me want to shoot myself (I get really seasonal affective distorder). There are good things like cost of living and low trafic, but I want a change. LA seems like a good place to try for the opportunity and weather. New York is too cold, and everywhere else seems like left field. A lot of friends from high school are starting to make their way up in TV production. I've actually been thinking about that. Is it easier to get into that side of things as opposed to music? It seems like the studio scene is a tough way to go these days.

I like watching Entourage, even though it's probably not a representative lifestyle for a lot of the people there. Right now, I'm in economics and I've also been thinking about maybe looking for a job in that area. Is it as competative in the private sector? I speak Chinese pretty fluently for a white guy. Does anybody know of any jobs that I might be able to use that skill?
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

If you mooch off the right people, it can be more Entouragey then you think!

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
I speak Chinese pretty fluently for a white guy. Does anybody know of any jobs that I might be able to use that skill?
Man, I'm really digging down deep inside to figure out a way for Wallace to combine audio and Chinese, along with his caucasion-ness.

Hmm....

I give up.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyLA
Man, I'm really digging down deep inside to figure out a way for Wallace to combine audio and Chinese, along with his caucasion-ness.

Hmm....

I give up.

ha ha, you're funny! There was one episode of Entourage where that hot blonde was a translator for the Chinese director. I don't know if I'm hot enough, or blonde enough for that though

mooching huh?

No, I think I'll do well out there at something, if I can get the balls to just go. Maybe If i got something that was outside of music I could still tweak out my studio. I'm going to do a trip out there and hang with some friends/meet some people. Most of the jobs I've got have been through friends (video editing, working in econ research, teaching high school music/chinese), and I always feel underqualified when applying online because my jobs have always been some sort of nitch jobs. I just want to get out there and see what happens, contrary to what some have said about have a ton of $$ and a job lined up; it just seems really difficult to get a job out of town in a big market with out a super technical degree or masters/PhD.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

try to find a place to live close to where you work..some people move far away from where they work for a better bigger house but now face the bumpper to bumper everyday..they comute all the way from the desert into the city

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search