The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Akai s950, what are your thoughts on it?
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Addict

Akai s950, what are your thoughts on it?

Hey slutz. My friend pulled out an Akai S950 the other day. Said he has not used it in a long time. We did not hook it up yet cuz we are doing some upgrades to the studio. Anyways, since I have not heard it or used it before. Can you all tell me if this piece is any good?
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

anyone? I know there has got to be a few of you.
Old 13th July 2005
its got a classic 90s hiphop sound and lots of outputs. i just bought one
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

its got the 12 bit akai sampler sound (a la mpc60 but w/ variable frequency). for hiphop it can be great. (actually for many genres) it has variable sampling freq so you can make it fairly clean or dirty. however like any sampler you have to know how to sample/arrange well to do anything. cant just plug in and be a hit producer. very limiting sort of box. this will help you work to get your sound right. cool filters on it.

use a good di when recording it into your pc. it will help your drums sound better.

hold on to it!!!! its a great tool.
Old 13th July 2005
Dot
Lives for gear

The S950 is mostly good for one-shot drum and percussion samples. Also depends on how much RAM is installed. Very cool for a lo-fi sound. Not sure if it has the ASK-90 drum triggers, but you can look on the back and find out.

A great tool if you want to make beats and build your own drum sound library. As samplers go, Akai's have always been fairly easy and straight-forward to use. I've used Akai samplers since the S900 first came out in the mid-'80's. I still have an S1100 sitting right here in my rack.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

only the original S900 could take the ASK-90 Drum trigger board, but the S950 could have more memory.

I have My S3200 gathering dust.
Old 13th July 2005

My first sampler.... I still have one laying around here somewhere. It's cool for drums and dirty samples..
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
My first sampler.... I still have one laying around here somewhere. It's cool for drums and dirty samples..
Cool deal. Thanx everyone. Yea, I like dirt so I guess I'll give it a spin. My partner was talking about adding an S5000. So that will be cool to have 2 different samplers for a bit more flavor.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

I talked to a hiphop guy here in Sweden some time ago and he claimed that S950 isn't the "real deal" like MPC-60 or S900. He said that S950 uses cleaner converters which doesn't sound as crunchy and dirty as the older ones. I haven't done any comparison myself, but I doubt the difference is very big. A nice DI will probably make a bigger difference.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

I love the s950 sound.

in the early 90s, when i was forced to use one cos i couldn't afford an s1000, I used to much prefer the s1000 sound. But now I realise that the s950 12bit sound / cheap converters gives a fantastic grainyness to samples.

i would definately have a play with it and see if you agree.

si
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

My plan is at some point to run the s950 and S5000 into an Api 3124 along with a distressor or dbx 160x. So I think that should help things. I want to try a bunch of combos to get a bunch of sounds. I would love to find a nice 2 track tape machine to get a thicker sound. thanx for all the input fellow slutz.
Old 13th July 2005
if youve been checking east coast hiphop 90-present youve definitely heard it in action

pete rock sp1200 s950
large pro sp1200 s950
premier mpc 60 II s950
spinna sp1200 s950
beatminerz mpc300 s950 sp1200
prince paul mpc 2000 sp1200 s950 asr10
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Best thing about the 950 is the filter, not the sound engine!It has thart weird grainy thing that no other sampler has, I call it the De La filter.

Decent box for the price which can still do a lot of functional work.
My choice in this range is the the Emax 1 SE. It has a better filter (varibale cutoff with the same chips as the Emu SP1200) as well as a variable sample rate adjustment for anything from the SP sound to an almost acceptably clean modern sampler feel.

The MPC3K has the punchiest converters on any hiphop box.
Old 13th July 2005
i just bought the unit and havent had time to play with it yet, how would you use the filter sixtoo?
Old 15th July 2005
anyone got a sysex chart for the s950? it would be nice to control the filter etc from logic

also- does it make a huge difference to the sound if you dont sample with the unit, only use it for sample playback? vs sampling into it and playing back

peeace
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
its got the 12 bit akai sampler sound (a la mpc60 but w/ variable frequency). for hiphop it can be great. (actually for many genres) it has variable sampling freq so you can make it fairly clean or dirty. however like any sampler you have to know how to sample/arrange well to do anything. cant just plug in and be a hit producer. very limiting sort of box. this will help you work to get your sound right. cool filters on it.

use a good di when recording it into your pc. it will help your drums sound better.

hold on to it!!!! its a great tool.
I realize this is a quite old thread... Nevertheless, why would a DI box help in this situation? I suppose unbalanced wiring could be kept short between the akai and pc... or is the advantage that the di would prevent ground hum?

Thanks,
j
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith1261 View Post
I realize this is a quite old thread... Nevertheless, why would a DI box help in this situation? I suppose unbalanced wiring could be kept short between the akai and pc... or is the advantage that the di would prevent ground hum?

Thanks,
j
Hi,
DI's are not required. They will help you get into the computer with a balanced signal which would be better for long runs and closer proximity noisy equipment. Also many DI's can have a flattering effect on drums/bass etc that you run through them. Many people like to run their drums for example through good class A DI's to give them some flavor. An S950 will still sound good tracked without a DI.

I tracked for years from S950-> great river mp2nv DI. I liked the tone and the way transients sounded through it.

To each their own.

Regards,
Electric
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

s1000 my first sampler plus a atari tt030 and cubase ,nice midi timing kicks protools hd out of the window like a mpc...
evry weeks one for 100 euro at evil bay.

there are still procucers how like that combination,i know of around 5 how still use it,for
fat drum and base.
Old 12th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
Hi,
DI's are not required. They will help you get into the computer with a balanced signal which would be better for long runs and closer proximity noisy equipment. Also many DI's can have a flattering effect on drums/bass etc that you run through them. Many people like to run their drums for example through good class A DI's to give them some flavor. An S950 will still sound good tracked without a DI.

I tracked for years from S950-> great river mp2nv DI. I liked the tone and the way transients sounded through it.

To each their own.

Regards,
Electric
Any "cheaper" di's that you might suggest for this purpose?
Old 31st August 2013
Gear Nut
It's almost like s950 can be clean and dirty at the same time. (Don't ask.)
Old 16th September 2014
Gear Nut

You can NEVER tire of the sound of an S950! Its just seems to bring life/soul anything you put into it.
In answer to the Q above, you want to actually use it to sample rather than just playback, as it is here that the magic is added. Not sure of many ways of getting sounds into it, other than sampling anyway, unless you are VERY lucky and have the SCSI board fitted.
Old 15th November 2014
Lives for gear

Aphex Twin uses one on SYRO, at least for one track.
Old 15th November 2014
Had several. IMHO a huge PITA. sold years ago.

Just sold an Emu II I've had since '89. Sounded cooler, but was an even bigge PITA.
Old 26th February 2015
Gear Nut
The first time I used my s950, I chose a really punchy drum break to test it out with. It was laid out in such an intuitive manner that I almost instinctively knew how to flip the sample correctly to make it sound nasty. Pitched the sample down a step and it brought a tear of joy to my eye.
Old 2nd December 2017
Here for the gear

Why I like the sound of filter or the 950 so much? to my ears it sounds very unique. There's must be a way to control the filter via midi, I will read the manual...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search