The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FET 47 CLONES!
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

FET 47 CLONES!

Hey slutz...

I wan´t to buy a mic that sounds like FET 47 !

Wich one do you recommend?

PUPO
Old 12th July 2005
member no 666

Wait for it... Nathan is only minutes away....
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hey Fletcher...

Pliz explain more. I REALLY DON¨T KONW IF U R JOKING because of my english!

Who is Nathan?

PUPO
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74
Hey slutz...

I wan´t to buy a mic that sounds like FET 47 !

Wich one do you recommend?

PUPO
Find a real Neumann 47FET... Then it will sound just like a 47FET and will hold its value just like a 47FET. They also sound totally great- I wouldn't trade mine for any clone mic, thats for sure.

A half way decent clone 47FET will also cost nearly as much as the real deal and immediately be worth less than when bought new.... The real thing will go up over time.

Dont be suprised when pro audio dealers recommend that you buy a new clone.
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanx for the article Winey.

Every FET 47´s will have it´s own sound and they´ll need lot´s of maintenance, am I right?

I´m almost sure GOOD FET47´s are in good hands and they´ll be very difficult to find.

Anyone else?

PUPO
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear
I come across U47fets all the time in studios and they all sound REASONABLY alike though obviously not identical (like ANY mic as it ages) and they're not pesky or tempermental at all.

nothing sounds JUST like them and I haven't heard a clone that's any good.

the question is how you decided you want one, specifically.
because if it's becasue you heard one and liked it, you're not going to get JUST that from anything else.
Don't fool yourself.

lots of people, though, like owning guitars that LOOK LIKE The Beatles' guitars and convince themselves they sound like them. When they don't.
And lots of manufacturers are more than happy to feed that cosmetic, emperor's new clothes market.
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
because if it's becasue you heard one and liked it, you're not going to get JUST that from anything else.
Don't fool yourself.
I decided because almost every Jazz recording uses a Neumann FET 47 on the kick drum and it has been a standard for years. I´ve work with EV RE-20 and D'112 and I´ve never been close to THE sound unless I use ambience or, when having a chance, a Roger 122 will give a little bit of the sound I´m looking for. Oh, and it has to be a really really really nice tuned studio!

Quote:
lots of people, though, like owning guitars that LOOK LIKE The Beatles' guitars and convince themselves they sound like them. When they don't.
And lots of manufacturers are more than happy to feed that cosmetic, emperor's new clothes market.
I know I´m not gonna get Eaton´s sound like he does for Pat Metheny unless I START trying this mic. Don´t u think? I wanna be like PUPO but PUPO needs gear to work with and discover his OWN sound!

PUPO
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Fletcher...

Pliz explain more. I REALLY DON¨T KONW IF U R JOKING because of my english!

Who is Nathan?

PUPO
This is war in here! You see?
Nathan Eldred=Atlas Pro Audio
Fletcher=Mercenary Audio

Both sellers, good guys and with lots of knoledge.
Nathan and Fletcher are two classics here, but Fletcher is the member #666...

Insomnio
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I come across U47fets all the time in studios and they all sound REASONABLY alike though obviously not identical (like ANY mic as it ages) and they're not pesky or tempermental at all.

nothing sounds JUST like them and I haven't heard a clone that's any good.

Don't fool yourself.

Every time I speak of tube mics someone jumps ansking "why do you think you need a tube mic?", and that shuts me off. I would like you to answer that for me.

This is not a hijack Pupo: I think this concerns your thread.
Insomnio
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
haha that's funny. Mr. iFet7
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

TUBE MICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio
Every time I speak of tube mics someone jumps ansking "why do you think you need a tube mic?", and that shuts me off. I would like you to answer that for me.

This is not a hijack Pupo: I think this concerns your thread.
Insomnio
Como va todo Insomnio...

Yep...

Tube Mics r always a problem here. Where I live, I have to buy NEW gear cause it´s a problem to obtain service and shipping to US is really expensive. I´m also a fan for NEW gear; I think I like how this stuff smells and looks when I open the box.

For all of u guys out there. Will the iFet7 do the job on the kick?

PUPO
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
roflmao..... thumbsup
Old 12th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Good question. There have been a million threads sorting out neve clones so why not Fet 47 clones. I am interested. I have had this question run through my head a few times. Do I get an original Fet47 or go with a mic that emulates the Fet47 vibe? There is the Lawson version (model # ??), AT 4047, Soundelux iFet7 and probably a few others I am missing here. Usually the rule of thumb is the original sounds better because it is the mic the other companies are trying to "capture". It is probably getting hard to find a nice Neumann Fet47, and if you do, what is a good price to pay for one?
Old 12th July 2005
Here for the gear

Fet47 question becomes wank session?

Hi there, I am a poor, defenseless newbie. Boo hoo. Now the real stuff.

Can anyone answer this guy's question instead of breaking out the communal vaseline?
I am interested in answers in forums like this one, not in advertising my cool. Am I being naive? The ifet7 does seem like an interesting option to check out. Has anyone on this forum tried this mic and care to comment on its performance ?

I don't mind taking a modicum of verbal abuse to get to a real answer.
Thanks, as always.

Stereomaus.
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Guru
Two thumbs waaay up for the Lawson. Does it sound exactly like a fet47? Not having done a direct A/B, I couldn't say.
But I've used it on kick, accoustic bass, vocals, guitar, etc. and am always very happy with the results. The thing sounds great.
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

I am also interested in these FET47 clones... do any of them get that kick sound? Which is the best for that application? Mucho Grasias
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

The problem is that no clone will sound exactly like a 47fet and there really is no reason not to seek out a good vintage 47fet. There is no problem getting tubes like with the U47 because there are no tubes. Generally, the capsules (KK47) hold up over time much better than the M7. Most of the one's I have seen have been very well cared for and, quite frankly, they are not much more expensive than the clones. If you are concern with buying blind or on ebay for whatever reason, check the brokers......Vintage King, the Mic Shop, etc.....they usually have them in stock. FWIW, I've heard one Soundelux U195 that was horrible, and one that was pretty darn good sounding. It still wasn't quite in the same league as the two U47fet's I had on hand, however.
Sean
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereomaus
Hi there, I am a poor, defenseless newbie. Boo hoo. Now the real stuff.

Can anyone answer this guy's question instead of breaking out the communal vaseline?
I am interested in answers in forums like this one, not in advertising my cool. Am I being naive? The ifet7 does seem like an interesting option to check out. Has anyone on this forum tried this mic and care to comment on its performance ?

I don't mind taking a modicum of verbal abuse to get to a real answer.
Thanks, as always.

Stereomaus.

Sorry, I had to.
Old 12th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Ahahahahaha. Thats funny.
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
Mucho Grasias
LOL
I
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Wich one is the Lawson model?

I wonder what will happen if I make an AB on a kick drum with iFET 47 and an original FET 47. Wich will you guys prefer?

I think that it will be a tie!

Don´t you think?

After cutting all the instruments and mixing down. Do you guys really think someone´s gonna here a difference beteween the 2 kick mics on the final mix?

IF YOU HAVE RECORDED 2000 OF KICKS WITH THE SAME NEUMANN U47 FOR YEARS!

I´ll believe you.

I´m also tired of NEVE CLONE threads, I think this thread is better!
Lot´s of people say here that the Wunder Audio is better than a reissue, well, I wanna know wich mic is better than de Neumann FET 47.

PUPO
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wich one is the Lawson model?

I wonder what will happen if I make an AB on a kick drum with iFET 47 and an original FET 47. Wich will you guys prefer?

I think that it will be a tie!

Don´t you think?

PUPO
No, I don't think it will be a tie-

You got the answer already but apparently don't want to believe it, so whats the use of asking again? Just buy one of the clones, lose money, convince yourself it sounds the same and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomaus
He asked- "I wan´t to buy a mic that sounds like FET 47 !Wich one do you recommend?"
He got very good advise that wasn't what he wanted to hear, so he ignored it and asked again in hopes of getting someone to tell him the clone would be JUST LIKE the 47FET.... Its not.
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear
I suppose I thought I DID answer the question.

here's the answer:
NO clone sounds like a U47fet

a U47fet is not a tempermental mic.
They are findable.
If you want one, find one... a real one.

on the other hand I don't think I'd spend that much money on a dedicated bass drum mic!
47 fets are quite good on many vocals (for many years Alan Parsons said it was his 'go to' vocal mic) and also on upright bass, guitars (electric and acoustic) and really as an all purpose condenser mic.

as someone else also pointed out, it's not a tube mic.

the reason people may react badly to the question "which tube mic should I get" is that many of us don;t THINK in terms of "needing" a tube mic.

but more in terms of what is a GOOD mic for a particular application.

I might like a U47 on upright bass... but if one is not available my next choice may be a 47fet, not another TUBE just to have a tube.
That's why the question has no good, simple answer and may actually point out a logical fallacy in the question.

I think many people get convinced they "NEED" to own a tube mic, or a Neumann, or a Neve or whatever instead of learning to understand why people choose these things for one thing or another and making decisions from there. From the UNDERSTANDING.
Old 12th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereomaus
Hi there, I am a poor, defenseless newbie.
You're also using my avatar!

Well, actually, I'm using someone else's avatar who you've also chosen to rip off. But I ripped it off first. I just hope the original owner doesn't show up and catch us like this.
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Guru
Quote:
the reason people may react badly to the question "which tube mic should I get" is that many of us don;t THINK in terms of "needing" a tube mic.

but more in terms of what is a GOOD mic for a particular application.

I might like a U47 on upright bass... but if one is not available my next choice may be a 47fet, not another TUBE just to have a tube.
That's why the question has no good, simple answer and may actually point out a logical fallacy in the question.
Absolutely. I have used a lot of fet47s. When I don't have one, I go to the Lawson "clone" in the situations where I would choose one and am always happy with the result. Out in front of a kick, it really gets that tight low end. On accoustic bass, it has a great bottom while also picking up the wood. Its a first choice for some singers.

WWittman is right on (no surprise there). The point is to get a mic that works in a particular situation and not get hung up on brand names and buzzwords.
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think many people get convinced they "NEED" to own a tube mic, or a Neumann, or a Neve or whatever instead of learning to understand why people choose these things for one thing or another and making decisions from there. From the UNDERSTANDING.
Ok, that's it for me...tomorrow I'll begin a new career as paperboy or something.

Thanks Wittman.
I

Pupo, todo bien por acá. Saludos!
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
No, I don't think it will be a tie-

You got the answer already but apparently don't want to believe it, so whats the use of asking again? Just buy one of the clones, lose money, convince yourself it sounds the same and be done with it.
This is a thread buddy. I will not get convinced by ANYONE in here what should I do with my money and what piece of gear what to buy! I just want to hear people how they look up for this type of sound. When they don´t have FET47 in it´s hands. For example, continue reading this thread and see how someone else uses iFET 47 and get excellent results.

I´m not trying to get someone to tell me the clone would be JUST LIKE the 47FET....

I THINK THE CHANCES TO DO AN A/B BETWEEN U47 FET and the iFET 47 IN THE FINAL MIX OF A JAZZ PIECE WILL SURPRISE MORE THAN ONE PERSON OUT HERE.

MAYBE SOMEONE CAN DO THIS TEST AND CONTINUE WITH THIS THREAD!

JULES? SHAMAN? THRILL? SOMEONE...

WHO CAN A/B THIS TWO MICS WITHOUT KNOWING WICH ONE IS THE CLONE AND WICH ONE IS THE NEUMANN, THEN POST IT HERE!

That´ll be nice. Maybe it will be a tie, maybe it´ll be all votes for the Neumann or all votes for the iFET...who really knows...

I DON¨T KNOW

PUPO
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio
Ok, that's it for me...tomorrow I'll begin a new career as paperboy or something.

Thanks Wittman.
I

Pupo, todo bien por acá. Saludos!

If it makes you feel any better Insomnio I fell for the same sort of "clone" bull**** and "I need a tube mic" bull**** when I first found these forums and I`d allready been recording about 15 years.

I used to ask dumb questions like "how do I get that 70`s funk sound out of modern gear". Allmost thinking I could get a FATSO to emulate tape, some Neve ripoffs some Neumann ripoffs and I`d have that "sonic vibe" that they had on the recordings. BULLONEY ! Complete bull**** !

I think back when those albums were made they were thinking more like "how can I capture these performances as cleanly as possible".

Instead of "how can I introduce the proper distortion and "color" from all my preamp clones and mic clones and tape emulation to recreate that 70`s vibe.

It`s a bunch of marketing hype and we`d do a lot better if we just stuck to trying to get clean recordings instead of believing all this "vintage color" bull****.

Just buy the best mic you can afford and stop worrying about whether it sounds like a Neumann or not. (Because it DOESN`T !)
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I´m almost sure GOOD FET47´s are in good hands and they´ll be very difficult to find.
not really...

http://www.hestudiotechnik.de/englis.../micofones.htm

.... you are a bit to late, this Fet 47 has waitn for over one year for a customer, since a week or so it's sold...

you may ask them for more ... I can highly recommend these guys... bought 4 vintagemics from them (no not the fet47)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search