The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FET 47 CLONES!
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74
I THINK THE CHANCES TO DO AN A/B BETWEEN U47 FET and the iFET 47 IN THE FINAL MIX OF A JAZZ PIECE WILL SURPRISE MORE THAN ONE PERSON OUT HERE.

You know what would be a MUCH better test.

You buy an ifet 7 and rent a fet47.

Than put them both in front of a kick in YOUR studio and see how different they sound BEFORE it hits any recording medium. I`ll bet they sound as different as a fet47 and an SM57 would. I`d bet money on that.

Experienced people are giving you good advice and your just choosing not to believe them because your silly.
Old 13th July 2005
Quote:
I`ll bet they sound as different as a fet47 and an SM57 would. I`d bet money on that.
Come on now... tutt It is pretty easy to start slinging mud when someone like William Wittman is in your corner but I think the quote above is pretty absurd.

I mean realy, now a Neumann is some holy grail and everything else is a SM57??

Give me a break.

Here is the problem. Gear makers need a hook to drag you into a purchase so they say their widget sounds like a Neve or a Neumann to get you in the door. When it doesn't sound like a Neve or a Neumann everyone complains about it.

Stop buying into the hype, if you want a iFet47 then go get a Neumann but if you want a good tool to use then get an iFet7. For the record I plan on purchasing an iFet7 in the next few days, I doubt it will sound like a 47 side by side but I do believe it will be a usable tool. I also believe it will compliment my SM57s but it will not sound anything like it.....................and I will bet money on it if you wish.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
Come on now... tutt It is pretty easy to start slinging mud when someone like William Wittman is in your corner but I think the quote above is pretty absurd.

I mean realy, now a Neumann is some holy grail and everything else is a SM57??

Give me a break.

You misunderstood me NSN.

I said there is probably as much DIFFERENCE between an FET47 and a 57 as there is between an ifet7 and a FET47. It may be a bit of an exageration but my point is they all probably don`t sound very much alike at all.

Where did I say the ifet7 was a crappy mic ? (or the 57 for that matter) That`s not what I meant at all.

And since when do I need anybody in my corner ? I can make an ass out of myself all alone ! heh I do like a lot of the things WW has to say in general though.
Old 13th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc

I said there is probably as much DIFFERENCE between an FET47 and a 57 as there is between an ifet7 and a FET47. It may be a bit of an exageration but my point is they all probably don`t sound very much alike at all.

Where did I say the ifet7 was a crappy mic ? (or the 57 for that matter) That`s not what I meant at all.
Fair enough (it's all cool ) but I will stand behind my points above. A tool that is used to make a good recording is just that, a tool. I don't care if it sounds like a fet47, if it sounds good that is all I need.

Also I have not tried an FET47 side by side with a iFet7 but I would think the difference between these two would be much less than the difference between a 47 and a SM57, I could be wrong.

I am going to go out on a limb here but I agree with jpupo74. In a dense rock mix I suspect it would be very difficult for many here to pick out the iFet7 and the Fet47. Now I could be wrong because I have never done this test myself but I have a hunch that many would not be able to hear a huge difference between the two on a kick drum in amix.

William Wittman and other big wigs might but most of us cats working in the trenches every day probably could not put a 100% guarantee on which was which in a mix. Again if someone posted a mix with each then I would be surprised if many would notice a huge difference.

I am sure that I could be way off base but that is my guess.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Experienced people are giving you good advice and your just choosing not to believe them because your silly.
tutt
Old 13th July 2005
There is only one

i have pulled a fet47 off a kick and put on a U195 and gotten a BETTER sound for what i was going for.... i think its narrow minded to think a 47fet is automatically better for everything.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

I always listen to people when they have a point. I´ve been really into this and now I´m looking forward to specialize in classical and jazz recordings.

In a early post I explained I don´t live in the U.S. and it´s difficult for me to repair mics when they broke. It´s easier to buy a new one! No more than 100 guys in my country knows what a FET47 is...

Maybe I´ll call my sales engineering and ask for some advice. I let you guys fight for Neve and Neumanns and believe that´s THE SOUND.

PEACE

PUPO
Old 13th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
i have pulled a fet47 off a kick and put on a U195 and gotten a BETTER sound for what i was going for.... i think its narrow minded to think a 47fet is automatically better for everything.
Exactly my point.... use the best tool you have available for the job at hand.
thumbsup
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
Exactly my point.... use the best tool you have available for the job at hand.
thumbsup

That`s one of the points that I was trying to make as well as a matter of fact. That`s what I was saying in my first post.

Why bother chasing some fictional "vintage" sound when you can just buy good quality modern gear and go for the best sounds you can achieve.
Old 13th July 2005
Quote:
That`s one of the points that I was trying to make as well as a matter of fact. That`s what I was saying in my first post.

Why bother chasing some fictional "vintage" sound when you can just buy good quality modern gear and go for the best sounds you can achieve.
Yep we are on the same page for sure.... There will be times when the "vintage" sound is going to work better but other times the quality modern stuff will fit the bill.

Again this is all marketing hype that the gear makers have to do because that is what makes us buy gear. I say stop the hype and let the gear live or die on it's own merit.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Anyone using the Lawson or the iFet?
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:

probably? the difference between a neumann fet47 and a shure 57 might be quite profound, but the difference between a neumann fet47 and an soundelux ifet7 or for that matter, a soundelux u195, is NOT that great. there IS a difference, and my ears can hear it and i am not denying it, but as tools in soundscape production and audio engineering, they ain't far apart at all. theyb aren't 'apples and oranges.' your 'bit of an exageration' is a huge exageration.

you say 'probably?' have you HEARD all the mics you are talking about, side to side?

best regards,
rlnyc
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better Insomnio I fell for the same sort of "clone" bull**** and "I need a tube mic" bull**** when I first found these forums and I`d allready been recording about 15 years.

I used to ask dumb questions like "how do I get that 70`s funk sound out of modern gear". Allmost thinking I could get a FATSO to emulate tape, some Neve ripoffs some Neumann ripoffs and I`d have that "sonic vibe" that they had on the recordings. BULLONEY ! Complete bull**** !
Hey Kevin:
Are you sure you wanted me to feel better?
Now I feel suicidal and stupid. Woohoo Thanks!

I got your point though.

I

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search