The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A-Designs REDDI Tube DI anyone used it? Dynamic Microphones
Old 6th March 2009
Gear Maniac

A-Designs REDDI Tube DI anyone used it?

alot of people selling it on here, is it anygood? listened to sounds bites of it and it sounds pretty good, and shud be for $800,
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

Best DI I have ever used. Running a mix through two of them sounds pretty killer too.

Brad
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

For an amp sort of vibe from a DI, its as good as I ever used.
Old 6th March 2009
same here, use it all the time and it sounds great.
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

+1

It's nice to get the extended low end that you get with it, and the tone of it sits nice in a mix too.
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

The REDDI is legendary studio gear among bass players, just like the Aguilar DB680 and the Ampeg B-15. You would never have seen these up for sale two years ago.

Nobody is selling this unit because it sucks. It's just a sign of the times.
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

I have been talking quite a bit about the REDDI since I got it early this year!

The REDDI is one of the few products that I have purchased that brought my jaw to the floor and keeped a wide grin on my face the rest of the day...yes, I think the REDDI is THAT impressive. A most extraordinary device!
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

I have one and it sounds very good, but I tend to use more the DI in my Vintech X81. Two different sounds but love them both !! I have some samples if you need.
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums View Post
I have one and it sounds very good, but I tend to use more the DI in my Vintech X81. Two different sounds but love them both !! I have some samples if you need.
why not plug into the REDDI and xlr out to the x81....

???

i love the vintech x81, i wish i could afford one....
Old 6th March 2009
Lives for gear

Best I've ever used.

Indeed, tis really nice plugged into a pre with some additional flavor. I run it through the Pacifica, padded & cranked.
Old 7th March 2009
Lives for gear

It kills when plugged into a Neve.

I like it by itself, but both together is definitely the sound.
Old 7th March 2009
Lives for gear

I have one and love it. I use the Pacifica or homebrew API pres for make up gain and a B15 amp miced with either a Beyer M88, RE20, MD421 or AKK202 and compress the amp and DI with my 2 homebrew LA2A's and phase aligned with a Little labs IBP. That combination is the bass sound I've always wanted.
Old 7th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums View Post
I have some samples if you need.
Please!
Old 7th March 2009
Lives for gear

Love it. Had to disable the blue "laser" on the front as it was blinding anyone who dared to look at it. Another good use for console tape.
Old 7th March 2009
Gear addict

I've been listening to the bassmaster samples and I'm very impressed!

wondering if it is common to use the Reddi for vocals as well?
Old 7th March 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
Love it. Had to disable the blue "laser" on the front as it was blinding anyone who dared to look at it. Another good use for console tape.

LOL
i have got to get me a REDDI!
soon i hope: )~
Old 9th March 2009
Gear Head

Ohhhhhh yyeeaaaaaahhhhh =)

I was skeptical dropping that much on my REDDI... until I heard it. They are giving the box away at the price. I love mine.
Old 9th March 2009
Lives for gear

It's pretty much all we use for bass, DI electric gtrs, Rhodes piano, and frequently as a pre for dynamic mics on snare....
Old 9th March 2009
Lives for gear

Sigma Sound DI?

This might be OT but since we're talking Bass DI, has anybody ever used the 'Sigma Sound' DI that Joe Tarisa has reissued?

As a huge fan of those Philiy records (which of course were about the players, songs, studio,etc) I just am attracted to it though the price is certainly steep.

Not trying to cause any 'competition' here but instead of opening up an new thread I just wonder how the Sigma DI performs.

Sigma Sound Studios
Old 9th March 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post

Oh yeh, that light will blind you for sure.
You can light up a room with that thing.
Old 9th March 2009
REDDI's a no-brainer for bass — I run just about everything I can through it. It can take a harsh Digitech multi-effects pedal and make it sound smooth — recently, instead of using EQ to bring out some body from vocals recorded on an Avalon 737 and a U87, I reamped them through the REDDI — I was a bit dubious at first, since what's done is done, but not only did the REDDI bring out the body of a thin, breathy voice, but it added what I can only refer to as a little magic as well. The REDDI is an out-of-the-ballpark home run, if you like baseball metaphors (I don't, but I have several in surplus that I need to get rid of).

-B-
Old 10th March 2009
Gear nut

I haven't found a Bass DI I like better. Phat for days. Also suggest trying it for DI guitar - really warm with great harmonics - and then with reamping, even better.
Old 10th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fross View Post
If you want to tone it down just increase the value of the resistor on the anode of the LED.

Brad
Old 10th March 2009
Gear Maniac

so basically - its a winner!

yes?
Old 10th March 2009
Yes.

-B-
Old 11th March 2009
Gear Addict

Wow..

Makes me want to go run out and get one...

I am not happy with my Bass sound while tracking... I use a Sans amp RBI and track both signals.. Then I use plugs for the DI signal and blend the two to get there...

I am dying to try the REDDI now...
Old 11th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlandmorgan View Post
It's pretty much all we use for bass, DI electric gtrs, Rhodes piano, and frequently as a pre for dynamic mics on snare....
Midlandmorgan, I am interested in your mic technique with the REDDI! Do you just use an unballenced cable to go into the DI? How hot do you run the REDDI with snare?
Old 11th March 2009
Lives for gear

One of the best sounds for vox I have gotten is, sm7b, reddi, gtq2. Huge killer sound for rock vox.
Old 11th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fross View Post
Yeah, it doubles as a flashlight for looking at the back of a dark rack.
Old 11th March 2009
Lives for gear

I really didn't want to drop that kind of money on a DI, but I made the mistake of bringing one home to try...
Besides what everyone already mentioned, it also adds a dimension to the sound that words could not describe.
It's so hot too that with active instruments, it can easily be run straight into the converters. I actually got a better, more controlled sound doing that once.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search