The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone make a plate reverb? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone make a plate reverb?

I'm kind of interested in making a plate reverb unit like the EMT. Has anyone done this before? I would be interested in seeing some plans and maybe a walk through of exactly how one works.
Old 5th March 2009

I did years ago. It is much more difficult than one would think to come up with something that sounds good. I finally moved it into a back room where it has sat unused for many years.
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

I have built two. There was a how to build one in a mix magazine about 1983 1984.
Basic parts were.1 - 4'x8' sheet of metal. A strong wood frame. about 8 tighteners. 1 small speaker 4" or so. Glue a cardboard tube to the center around the cone. Glue other end to the center of the plate. 2 Acoustic guitar pickups for returns Left and right.1 power amp 10 to 20 watts. Use dampers to cut reverb time. That is pillows or any good pad material. The one i built in the 80's was cool. The one in the 90's seemed like a one trick pony compaired to todays digital reverbs. I would not make one. Would by a EMT if you have the cash. They knew what they were doing. Mine just sat around and rusted. But they say Elvis ran some of his vocals through a rusty plate.
GT.
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn Taylor View Post
I have built two. There was a how to build one in a mix magazine about 1983 1984.
Basic parts were.1 - 4'x8' sheet of metal. A strong wood frame. about 8 tighteners. 1 small speaker 4" or so. Glue a cardboard tube to the center around the cone. Glue other end to the center of the plate. 2 Acoustic guitar pickups for returns Left and right.1 power amp 10 to 20 watts. Use dampers to cut reverb time. That is pillows or any good pad material. The one i built in the 80's was cool. The one in the 90's seemed like a one trick pony compaired to todays digital reverbs. I would not make one. Would by a EMT if you have the cash. They knew what they were doing. Mine just sat around and rusted. But they say Elvis ran some of his vocals through a rusty plate.
GT.
Well, I doubt I could afford an EMT right now, and besides that I have a lot of free time on my hands right now and think it would be fun.
Old 5th March 2009
Led
Lives for gear

The trick is in the sheet of metal you choose. In a stack of 100 sheets, there may be only one good sounding one. They also sound different once they are tensioned in the frame. If you are handy with a welder and steel you could come up with something for sure. Lat I remember you could buy pickup and drivers, but I can't remember the name of the place that sold them..anyone?
Old 5th March 2009

I tried stainless steel to get more top end but the amount of EQing and constant messing with the tensioning to get a good sound was just not worth it once I got a Lexicon 224. I did use it for a couple of years but it only worked on certain sounds. I still lust for an EMT 140 though!
Old 5th March 2009
Gear Addict

EMT 140 is not that expensive, i got mine for 1500€ a few years back, you just need to have a room to put it in and find one not too far from you.
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

I feel like I already answered this recently, but I made a small plate about twenty years ago.

It was a stainless steel sheet with metal eye-bolt type screws that held it to a very sturdy square metal tube frame.
I had a small 4" speaker for a driver and contact pick ups.
It was OK, but it never sounded that good.
The main problem was that it was bit too small and the stainless sheet might have been a bit too thick.
I eventually threw it in a dumpster.

The funny part is that the frame was made from a lighting tree that most likely dated from the Paul McCartney, Bee Gees and Led Zepplin days of Showco or Showlites.
My Christmas lights have AC cables and quad boxes that come from that era of Showco stuff, too!

I have an Echoplate III sitting in storage that needs a new driver.
I'll take the time to see what I can do with it in a few months.

I once worked for a company that gave me two EMT180s that needed lot's of attention.
I ended up selling them to a guy from Florida for $850.00.
I think I gave him some tube mono amps, but they were solid state stereo units.
They were just too huge to deal with and I was working for a company that had TONS of equipment spread across three locations.
The EMTs were just too much to deal with.

You can build one, but it is not that easy to make them sound decent.
The tensioning is the key and it is not that easy to get right.
Even EMTs require A LOT of tweaking.

BTW... Jim Cunningham who built/builds Echoplates has a website that details how to build one and he sells parts as well.
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

Isn't there a whole document on PSW about how to do this?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search